Old 11-04-2022, 04:06 PM   #1
recook
Enthusiast
recook began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Nia
Post [SOLVED] Calibre 6.x Linux not starting

Hi,
i wanted to point out a pitfall on Linux for Calibre:

Calibre ran just fine up to 6.7.1, then i updated with the oneliner from the web page calibre - Download for Linux
Code:
sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/master/setup/linux-installer.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main()"
and Calibre didn't start any more.
Code:
calibre-debug -g
appeared unexceptional:
Code:
calibre 6.8  embedded-python: True
Linux-5.11.0-37-generic-x86_64-with-glibc2.31 Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '5.11.0-37-generic', '#41~20.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 24 09:06:38 UTC 2021')
Python 3.10.1
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Annotations (1, 17, 0) && Consolidate All Library Metadata (2, 0, 40) && Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 3, 7) && Embed Comic Metadata (1, 6, 1) && EpubMerge (2, 13, 0) && FanFicFare (4, 13, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 9, 5) && Generate Cover (2, 1, 0) && Goodreads (1, 5, 3) && KePub Input (3, 4, 3) && KePub Metadata Reader (3, 4, 3) && KePub Metadata Writer (3, 4, 3) && Kobo Utilities (2, 16, 3) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 6, 0) && Markdown Output (1, 0, 3) && Mass Search-Replace (1, 4, 2) && Open With (1, 7, 0) && Reading List (1, 11, 0) && Resize Cover (1, 1, 0)
QPA platform: xcb
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 125.25776173285198 x 125.04615384615384
Using calibre Qt style: True
It just didn't start complete, it ended there.
I tried manually installing diverse 6.x releases with no apparent change in behaviour.
Back to 6.8.0, before the next try, i don't know why, i looked for
Code:
pidof calibre
It reported a PID.
Calibre didn't start again.
Then i did
Code:
killall calibre
but that PID was still there.
I killed that one by number, and on the next try, Calibre started without a hitch!

Problem solved, thank heavens...
--
regards,
-- recook
recook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 04:29 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sounds like a reboot may also have worked.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2022, 05:55 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Usually no need to reboot, just log out or kill process or Ctrl-Alt-BS if desktop managled and it restarts.
Killing an errant process even on Windows can be faster than a reboot.

Or Alt F1 for a console.
You do need to reboot to run on an updated Kernel.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 08:29 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Usually no need to reboot, just log out or kill process or Ctrl-Alt-BS if desktop managled and it restarts.
Killing an errant process even on Windows can be faster than a reboot.

Or Alt F1 for a console.
You do need to reboot to run on an updated Kernel.
A reboot would have been best in this case as it would have taken less time them eventually figuring some process needed to be killed.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:11 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A reboot would have been best in this case as it would have taken less time them eventually figuring some process needed to be killed.
On some HDD only 4800 rpm laptops rebooting Windows or Linux takes up to 2 minutes. Finding a PID is much faster (or using Windows Task thing equivalent) Most Linux have a System Monitor GUI accessible from Places/Menu/Startbar. Takes me about 15s to find a process on Windows or Linux.
Also it's not just the reboot time, but time to reopen programs, email, browser and load documents.

Also how would you know in advance a reboot would fix it? It doesn't fix most problems (e.g. Antivirus settings on Windows or a wrong config edit on Linux).
Advert
Old 11-06-2022, 06:17 AM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
My last computer used to take 10-15 minutes to reboot. I preferred to avoid rebooting unless absolutely necessary.

My current computer has an SSD for the boot drive and I still can't entirely get used to it booting up in less than a minute.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:45 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
On some HDD only 4800 rpm laptops rebooting Windows or Linux takes up to 2 minutes. Finding a PID is much faster (or using Windows Task thing equivalent) Most Linux have a System Monitor GUI accessible from Places/Menu/Startbar. Takes me about 15s to find a process on Windows or Linux.
Also it's not just the reboot time, but time to reopen programs, email, browser and load documents.

Also how would you know in advance a reboot would fix it? It doesn't fix most problems (e.g. Antivirus settings on Windows or a wrong config edit on Linux).
But you have to know it's a bum process causing the problem. That can take longer then 2 minutes because you'd try other things before trying to find a bum process. Besides, who uses 4800RPM hard drive. I thought the slow hard drives were 5400RPM.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:06 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Even the 5400 RPM 1T drives take ages to boot. Sadly the 4800 rpm dives are common enough on older laptops.
I swapped my laptop back to a 7200 rpm 512G HDD from the 5400 new 1T drive and it booted twice as fast.
Now for regular use I have a hybrid solution: A 512G PCie-NVM SSD for OS and big 3.5" 7200 RPM 4Tbyte for all user files. It's a small Optiplex with some regular PCI slots and running off a UPS. Not noticeably slower than initial test with user files on the SSD. It manages the external 4K screen (also on the UPS) better than the laptop. I also was able to install a SATA DVD drive off a scrapped laptop.

I only use the laptop occasionally on a visit somewhere.
No SMART or warning of failure on SSDs.

There are few laptops that take proper SSD and SATA HDD, but not common. Cheaper laptops use SATA SSD or inferior SSD hardly better than Flash in an SD card or USB stick.
Old 11-11-2022, 12:54 AM   #9
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
A reboot would have been best in this case
Rebooting linux for something like that is dumb.

Even windows doesn't require reboots as much as it use to.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 04:18 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Rebooting linux for something like that is dumb.

Even windows doesn't require reboots as much as it use to.
Just because you don't need to reboot as much as in the past does not mean that a reboot now is not the optimal solution.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:51 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Just because you don't need to reboot as much as in the past does not mean that a reboot now is not the optimal solution.
AMEN!
With weekly Windows updates, the first thing I do if things are just a bit off, is to reboot.
Amazing how many times that has smoothed things out, even if there was no 'reboot required' message.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:24 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
AMEN!
With weekly Windows updates, the first thing I do if things are just a bit off, is to reboot.
Amazing how many times that has smoothed things out, even if there was no 'reboot required' message.
I do find that running Windows after the updates can sometimes cause some stability issues until after the reboot.

A reboot can just work. I do reboot sometimes with my iPhone as well.
Old 11-11-2022, 04:10 PM   #13
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
AMEN!
Wait, there's weekly updates? I only get them on Patch Tuesday.
Old 11-11-2022, 05:55 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Wait, there's weekly updates? I only get them on Patch Tuesday.
Tuesday qualifies as Weekly
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:32 PM   #15
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Tuesday qualifies as Weekly
Patch Tuesday is the second Tuesday of the month. So, monthly.

Tags
calibre, problem, starting