Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
kasutaja
kasutaja began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
How will this file look on PRS 650?

Hello,

I am thinking about buying PRS 650, but I read a lot of financial research, which usually has a lot complicated formatting. I couldn't find any examples online as to how well this reader can display such pdf-s, so maybe someone can open the following file on their PRS 650 and take a picture of how it looks: link to pdf

I am interested as to how pages 1, 3 and 4 will be rendered and how readable are they.

Appreciate the help,

kasutaja
kasutaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
ok, this isn't usually my thing, but I tried to help you out. Here goes:

1st picture is page 4 using zoom (you can see how I've zoomed) you can use the arrow buttons to move the page or just touch and move your finger to manipulate the image (cool, I didn't know I could do that!)

2nd picture is page 3 on small (default) font (very difficult to read)

3rd picture is page 3 on medium font (you can see the font in the bottom, loses formatting)

4th picture is page 4 on regular (small) font

5th picture is page 1 on regular (small) font

I played around with changing it to landscape and zooming, and that may be your best bet for these types of pages. Regular font makes it pretty difficult to read, but zoom is very cool. In fact, I have a study guide in pdf that is unreadable on my 505, but it looks like zoom may be my saving grace!

I don't know if this was helpful at all (I used "photo booth" on my mac to take the pics because I'm not tech savvy at all, and that was the only way I could do it easily), but hopefully it was somewhat helpful. I just didn't want you to go a whole day without any response, so I stepped out of my comfort zone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2011-06-02 at 17.23.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	72235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2011-06-02 at 17.21.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	72236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2011-06-02 at 17.21 #2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	72237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2011-06-02 at 17.20.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	72238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2011-06-02 at 17.19.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	72239  

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 06-02-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: added info once I saw the order the pictures uploaded
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
kasutaja

Thank you, GraceKrispy!

Those pictures were really helpful. One quick question, have you tried viewing this file in landscape mode and would you say it was readable in default settings then?

kasutaja
Old 06-03-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In landscape, it is still very small and difficult to read, but when you zoom in landscape, it's doable. I know some people can't read small type, and if you're one of those people, you'll probably be zooming, and then constantly moving the page to read the part you want to read. I would definitely say doable, but if you will read stuff like this exclusively, I"m not sure this screen is big enough for you to make it a comfortable daily read.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:36 AM   #5
kasutaja

Thank you for the answers, GraceKrispy! I guess I will have to keep looking ...

kasutaja
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't see a picture of the PDF with the margins removed.

Also, do you have a direct link to the PDF?

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-03-2011 at 12:05 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
kasutaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't see a picture of the PDF with the margins removed.

Also, do you have a direct link to the PDF?
Sorry about that, I forgot Erste only lets you download files without registering for about a day. Here is a link to another file: pdf

Pages 2, 3 and 4 are similar to those from the previous file.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
UpSpin
Enthusiast
UpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Sony PRS-650
According to the pictures (I can't download the PDF either) it seems to have a huge margin. You can remove the margin which should improve the readability.

With no margins and landscape mode it may look fine, but well, I can't test it without a PDF file.
UpSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!

How do you remove margins? See, told you it was out of my comfort zone If anyone wants to try it, you can pm me your email and I'll email you the file... I'm not sure if the OP will be coming back?
Old 06-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
UpSpin
Enthusiast
UpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Sony PRS-650
You can use any PDF Editor, like Adobe Acrobat Professional or others, or use some free tools which should do this automatically, too, like
http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/
UpSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
kasutaja

Hi, sorry about that link, I forgot Erste only lets you download without registration for about a day. I posted another link, but as am new around here, my posts must go through moderator, so I don't know when it will show up.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #12
kasutaja

Post with new link is now up, see post number 7.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpSpin View Post
You can use any PDF Editor, like Adobe Acrobat Professional or others, or use some free tools which should do this automatically, too, like
http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/
Ah, so it's a whole extra step. I'll leave that for someone else to try out. Thanks for the info, I do have a pdf I'd like to be able to read at some point, but I haven't even put it on my new reader yet, so I'll do that later.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Ah, so it's a whole extra step. I'll leave that for someone else to try out. Thanks for the info, I do have a pdf I'd like to be able to read at some point, but I haven't even put it on my new reader yet, so I'll do that later.
It's not a matter of using any external software to modify the PDF. It's using the 650's Margin Cut.

With the PDF on screen, pres the size button and then the page mode button (on screen). select Margin Cut & see how the PDF looks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not a matter of using any external software to modify the PDF. It's using the 650's Margin Cut.

With the PDF on screen, pres the size button and then the page mode button (on screen). select Margin Cut & see how the PDF looks.
ah, thanks, I'll try that!