Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-12-2022, 03:02 AM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Patch Tuesday is the second Tuesday of the month. So, monthly.
Unless you are counting the antivirus updates which are closer to a daily basis though I've only once had one of those call for a reboot.

There are also releases for the third and fourth weeks of a month (Microsoft's C and D releases) which are often the updates that cause system administrator's consumption of antacids to spike. The last one I recall was the August 25, 2022 release which was relatively benign but very often these are the ones mentioning critical/exploits in the wild/etc. in the description.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:45 AM   #17
recook
Enthusiast
recook began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Nia
Hi,

i do believe that finding the likely responsible symptom, the bum process preventing Calibre from starting, helped me more than a reboot without being secure to solve the problem.

@Koval: Anyway, could Calibre in future, in such a situation, say something like "Another instance of Calibre seems to be running; shutting down."?
--
regards,
-- recook
recook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:59 AM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by recook View Post
Hi,

i do believe that finding the likely responsible symptom, the bum process preventing Calibre from starting, helped me more than a reboot without being secure to solve the problem.
I agree. Except on Windows and Android I only reboot when asked.

Quote:
@Koval: Anyway, could Calibre in future, in such a situation, say something like "Another instance of Calibre seems to be running; shutting down."?
--
regards,
-- recook
It does sometimes produce a message like that. Starting it again with too many clicks when it's really already started but not appeared. At least some versions.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 04:36 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi,

--
regards,
-- recook
How would spending extra time looking for a bum process help more then a quicker reboot?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 04:39 PM   #20
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How would spending extra time looking for a bum process help more then a quicker reboot?
My old computer took 10-15 minutes to reboot. Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the task manager, sort the process list by name, and nuke anything starting with 'calibre" takes me less than a minute.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 04:42 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My old computer took 10-15 minutes to reboot. Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the task manager, sort the process list by name, and nuke anything starting with 'calibre" takes me less than a minute.
But you have to know it's a process that needs to be killed. There's also trying to run Calibre after an install and when that fails, there's a repair install and try again.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:46 PM   #22
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I don't see Calibre open but it's in the task manager, that's how I know I need to kill it.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:33 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If I don't see Calibre open but it's in the task manager, that's how I know I need to kill it.
But you'd only know after you tried other more obvious things that overall take longer then a reboot.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:54 AM   #24
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
But you'd only know after you tried other more obvious things that overall take longer then a reboot.
I know because I've bloody done it before. The first thing I do when Calibre doesn't start is check whether it's stuck in the task manager.
Old 11-13-2022, 05:37 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I know because I've bloody done it before. The first thing I do when Calibre doesn't start is check whether it's stuck in the task manager.
But why doesn't Calibre start? What's wrong with your system that's causing this?
Old 11-13-2022, 05:54 AM   #26
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
But why doesn't Calibre start? What's wrong with your system that's causing this?
Nothing. Calibre is a complex program, I have a big library and a lot of plugins.

If it makes you any feel better it mostly happened when I was trying to replicate a bug that resulted in Calibre crashing (except that sometimes it didn't fully crash but remain open in background).

Last edited by ownedbycats; 11-13-2022 at 06:21 AM.

Tags
calibre, problem, starting