Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2018, 05:53 AM   #1
moonangelica
moonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Clara
Question Display time when reading

I just bought the Clara and so far I'm really happy with it.

Just one thing I'd like to change if it's doable - is there a way to have the time on screen all the time when reading? I read a lot on my breaks and it's super easy to lose track of time. I know I can tap the screen and get the time then but it would be safer to have it up all the time.
moonangelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:42 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
No, sorry, unless you install additional software.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2018, 07:25 AM   #3
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonangelica View Post
I just bought the Clara and so far I'm really happy with it.

Just one thing I'd like to change if it's doable - is there a way to have the time on screen all the time when reading? I read a lot on my breaks and it's super easy to lose track of time. I know I can tap the screen and get the time then but it would be safer to have it up all the time.
I would like that, too. Best we can do right now is tap to bring up the menu, which will display the time in the upper left corner. But be quick, because the software perversely changes that time display to a % read in about four seconds!

Oh, Kobo. You so crazy!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
That's a feature I really miss from my Sony 350, having the time always displayed. I'm often reading waiting before walking to appointments or such, and it was so nice having the time always there. It's a nuisance to have to keep bringing up the menu when you need to be watching the time more closely.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
with niluje's fbink tool, it would be easy to script

Code:
while sleep 1
do
    fbink "$(date)"
done
of course you'd want it a tad more sophisticated than that...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AutoShelfFlashCardHyphenDictsMagicMemoryMiniClockNickelIconsScreenSaverUsbDebugWebPortal(GitHub)

--- MiniClock ---

######

=== find NiLuJe's MiniClock over here ===

=== find NiLuJe's NanoClock over here ===

######

Displays a clock on the screen. Powered by NiLuJe's fbink tool.

To install, copy KoboRoot-MiniClock-*.tgz » .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz

To uninstall, set uninstall=1 in .addons/miniclock/miniclock.cfg

Check .addons/miniclock/miniclock.example.cfg for customization options (rename the example file to miniclock.cfg to be effective.)

Ideally the clock should update on the minute (update=60) however, while reading books, Kobo freezes background tasks so it might not update and lag behind, until you flip the page or otherwise interact with the screen.

Update 2018-11-05: now with nightmode and truetype support

Update 2018-11-17: changed how the delay option works for more fine-grain control. added padding option to get rid of visual fragments in truetype mode.

Update 2018-11-23: add user-translatable {day}, {month}. Also optional {battery} 0-100%.

Update 2019-07-17: add button support ( add button=1 in miniclock.cfg to enable )
# This update caused battery drain so I removed it.

Update 2019-07-29: hopefully fixed battery/freeze issues for good, touchscreen=1 button=1 is input_devices=1 0 now

MiniClock config example file:
Spoiler:

Code:
# -------------------------------------------------------------------
#   MiniClock config example file. For settings to take any effect,
#     copy or rename this file to .addons/miniclock/miniclock.cfg.
# -------------------------------------------------------------------

#
# To uninstall, set to 1
#
uninstall=0

#
# To debug, set to 1 (will create .addons/miniclock/debuglog.txt)
# See also {debug} in format string below.
#
debug=0

#
# which /dev/input/eventX number devices to listen to
#
# input_devices=1    - event1 = touchscreen
# input_devices=0    - event0 = keyboard/buttons/magnet (patches nickel)
# input_devices=1 0  - event1 event0 = both of the above
#
input_devices=1

#
# whitelist of accepted events that should update miniclock
# ABS:MT_POSITION_X/Y: touchscreen coordinates
# KEY:F23/F24: forma forward backward buttons (to be confirmed)
# KEY:POWER: going into standby manually
#
whitelist=ABS:MT_POSITION_X ABS:MT_POSITION_Y KEY:F23 KEY:F24 KEY:POWER

#
# cooldown=num time
#
# after receiving <num> unrecognized events in a row,
# stop listening to all input for <time> seconds.
# (helps avoid power consumption during standby)
# 
cooldown=5 30

#
# Delay: (update delay 1 second repeat 3 times)
#
delay=1 1 1

#
# Repeat: (deprecated setting, use multiple delay instead)
#
# repeat=3
#

#
# Date format string ( see 'man strftime' )
#
# In addition may also use {month}, {day}, {battery}.
# (Look for battery and locale settings further below).
#
# {debug} will show the event that caused the update
#
format=%a %b %d %H:%M

#
# Where to print the clock
#
offset_x=0
offset_y=0

#
# Font:  (IBM, UNSCII, ALT, THIN, FANTASY, MCR, TALL, BLOCK,
#         LEGGIE, VEGGIE, KATES, FKP, CTRLD, ORP, ORPB, ORPI,
#         SCIENTIFICA, SCIENTIFICAB, SCIENTIFICAI)
#
font=IBM

#
# Font Size:
#
size=0

#
# Color: (BLACK GRAY{1-9A-E} WHITE)
#
fg_color=BLACK
bg_color=WHITE

#
# TrueType support:
#
# For fonts inside the MiniClock directory:
#     truetype=yourfont.ttf
#
# For fonts stored elsewhere in the filesystem:
#     truetype=/mnt/onboard/fonts/something.ttf
#
# Only set these if you use *italic*, **bold**, ***bold italic*** in your format string:
#
#     truetype_format=*%a* **%b** ***%d*** %H:%M
#     truetype_bold=yourfont-bold.ttf
#     truetype_italic=yourfont-italic.ttf
#     truetype_bolditalic=yourfont-bolditalic.ttf
#
# Technically, this can also be used for completely different font styles,
# instead of italic or bold variants of the same font.
#
# NOTE: Will fall back to regular mode when font file is unavailable.
#       (e.g. while the device is connected to USB)
#
truetype_size=16
truetype_x=0
truetype_y=0
truetype_fg=BLACK
truetype_bg=WHITE

#
# TrueType Padding helps prevent visual fragments to appear
# at the cost of adding extra whitespace. Set to 0 to disable.
#
truetype_padding=1

#
# NightMode support:
#
nightmode_file=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.ini
nightmode_key=invertActive
nightmode_value=yes

#
# Battery percentage value (0-100%)
#
# Use {battery} in the format string.
#
# Will only be used if the battery is between min max.
# Default: only shown when battery level drops to 50% and under.
battery_min=0
battery_max=50
# battery_source=/sys/devices/platform/pmic_battery.1/power_supply/mc13892_bat/capacity

#
# Localization (translate Month and Day names)
#
## Set day names, Monday -> Sunday (7 words)
## Use {day} in the format string to use this.
#
#days=Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
#
## Set month names, January -> December (12 words)
## Use {month} in the format string to use this.
#
#months=Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
#
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboRoot-MiniClock-20181123.zip (234.1 KB, 1184 views)
File Type: zip KoboRoot-MiniClock-20190729b.zip (308.9 KB, 1430 views)

Last edited by frostschutz; 06-16-2021 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
As a result, the clock can lag behind a few minutes (until you flip the page). As I write this, it's 23:10 but the clock still shows 23:05 so that's very useful
I think this is why it's not a standard feature. It would require processor power to constantly check if it needed to go to the next minute OR it would have to wait until you next changed the page to check if it needed. Neither options are ideal.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
I just glance at my watch....
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
As a result, the clock can lag behind a few minutes (until you flip the page).
That's how it worked on the Sony readers, the displayed time changed when you flipped a page. Unless you have superman eyesight and use minuscule text, that was never a problem since you'll finish a page in under a minute anyway. And that was always good enough for me. I thought it had to be that way because of how e-ink screens work.

Edit: It does work, although the placement of it isn't in an ideal spot since it will cut off the tops of the text in that position. The best place for it is how it was on the Sony readers, in the lower right corner on the same line as the page numbers. It doesn't cut into any text in that position. The day/date isn't really necessary either, it's just for a non-intrusive way to have the time show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-16_0.jpg
Views:	1728
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	166999  

Last edited by Ripplinger; 10-18-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #10
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I use one of the firmware patches from here to change "Clock display duration" from 3 to 10 seconds.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Two other questions:

How do you uninstall the patch?

And does the clock keep running when the reader is asleep? I would think that would use up the battery fast.

And here's to where I quickly moved it to, it needs a bit more tweaking for ideal placement though. Is it possible to use the same font as specified for the page numbers? (ok, that makes 3 questions)!

Edit: Just for info, I used the time patch on a Glo HD with firmware 4.10.11655 and I haven't noticed any problems with it.

And I found the info to remove it by setting uninstall to 1 in the miniclock.example.cfg file (I actually first edited the miniclock.sh file, and didn't read the .cfg file thoroughly).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_006.png
Views:	1563
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	167000  

Last edited by Ripplinger; 10-18-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:40 AM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
How do you uninstall the patch?
set uninstall=1 in the config and reboot

Quote:
And does the clock keep running when the reader is asleep?
standby mode freezes pretty much everything, mods don't have to actively support that

apparently it also freezes everything while reading normally, I never noticed that one before

since that doesn't work and if people don't mind clock not updating when not touching the screen, I should remove the update-once-per-minute cycle and make the update-after-touch more reliable. Currently if a pageflip takes longer than expected, the pageflip will erase the clock

Quote:
And I found the info to remove it by setting uninstall to 1 in the miniclock.example.cfg file (I actually first edited the miniclock.sh file, and didn't read the .cfg file thoroughly).
You can change positioning xy offset, font and size to some degree in the config file. The font itself is provided by NiLuJe's fbink tool, so there are some choices available, but not identical to whatever fonts you might be using in your book.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #13
frostschutz
Linux User

Updated it. Will now re-load the .addons/miniclock/miniclock.cfg from time to time so you no longer have to reboot. Clock should also show up a bit more reliably (new repeat setting)

Last edited by frostschutz; 11-05-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Just a question: which are the maximum row and column? Because I would like to move it to the lower right corner... sorry for my ignorance...
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #15
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I would like to move it to the lower right corner...
It's a pixel/resolution issue.
For A1 (1872x1404) you can try (into miniclock.cfg)
Code:
offset_x=1290
offset_y=1812
Good luck.

EDIT:
Here my changes.
Spoiler:
Code:
#
# Date format string ( see 'man strftime' )
#
format=%H:%M

#
# Where to print the clock
#
offset_x=1290
offset_y=1812

#
# Font:  (IBM, UNSCII, ALT, THIN, FANTASY, MCR, TALL, BLOCK,
#         LEGGIE, VEGGIE, KATES, FKP, CTRLD, ORP, ORPB, ORPI,
#         SCIENTIFICA, SCIENTIFICAB, SCIENTIFICAI)
#
font=SCIENTIFICA
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	1460
Size:	665.1 KB
ID:	167023  

Last edited by jcn363; 10-19-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: image
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote