Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-17-2019, 09:36 PM   #76
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2, Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8'')
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm happy that your new Nook arrived (relatively) quickly.
Thank you.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:39 PM   #77
Raphi'Elohim
Enthusiast
Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Glowlight plus 2
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
My Nook Glowlight Plus 2 arrived from the US today. I like it. It looks big and cumbersome, but actually is quite comfortable to hold and doesn't feel as heavy as it looks. The screen is nice, about the same quality as my Oasis. Bigger, of course.

I have to say that the Oasis is a lot faster, especially page-turns. But I'm not a fast reader and slower page-turns don't bother me much. Also I don't really like the inbuilt fonts, even Georgia at its thickest is too light. That's not a problem either, as I can embed my favorite fonts in the books before loading them on the Nook. I already tried with Katsunami's DejaVu Serif Eink and the result was very good. I've included the photo of the Nook and the Oasis side-by-side, using the same font.

All in all, I'm certainly going to use the Nook a lot.
In my opinion, fast page turning is bad. Think about it. Turning a page in a book is not fast, compared to an Oasis, and it being somewhat slow gives you time to think more about what you just read which is particularly important when reading non-fiction.

I find once you are in an actual book the reading experience is just fine and that is what really counts at the end of the day. I think the software experience outside of the reading is experience is not that great (partly because most of my books are sideloaded) but that just keeps my nose in an actual book which can be seen as a positive. No scatterbrained jumping between different books when I don't need to be which is most of the time.

On the percieved clunkiness. I used to own an Amazon Oasis before it was stolen. I dropped it and it was significantly dented. I dropped my Nook 7.8 and it was significantly less damaged just like minor marks or whatnot. So I like the Nook bezels and stuff better. The Oasis ergonomics looks like a fad or something.

If Bookari/montano did not have a proprietary license I would be in heaven since it just needs a few minor hacks or patches to be great on a rooted Nook.

What did you embed the fonts with ? Calibre ?

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 07-17-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:54 PM   #78
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post

What did you embed the fonts with ? Calibre ?
Yes. I have to convert my azw3 files to epub anyway, for the Nook, and the easiest way is to embed the fonts during bulk conversion.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:00 AM   #79
Raphi'Elohim
Enthusiast
Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Raphi'Elohim calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
Yes. I have to convert my azw3 files to epub anyway, for the Nook, and the easiest way is to embed the fonts during bulk conversion.
Oh, yeah, BTW, in the developers' options you can switch from Dalvik to Art which should speed up your device. That is what I did. If you don't know how to get into Developers' options : Settings --> About and then you tap on the Barnes and Noble picture/symbol 3 or 4 times fast.

I am running with ART and it seems faster.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #80
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookMan EBM-900
Quote:
Here's a modified version of Sirtel's image that's had the Oases part cut and pasted below and beside so that the edges are closely aligned.

For myself, I like the extra width that it has.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190718_004939b.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	172449
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #81
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookMan EBM-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
I am running with ART and it seems faster.
What is ART? Is this something specific to the Nook or can it be enabled with newer Android devices?

Nevermind, a simple google search is answering the question.

Last edited by lumpynose; 07-18-2019 at 04:54 PM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #82
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Here's a modified version of Sirtel's image that's had the Oases part cut and pasted below and beside so that the edges are closely aligned.

For myself, I like the extra width that it has.

Attachment 172449
It would be the extra height too, but unfortunately the Nook has unremovable headers on each page. The footers are about the same on both.

Still, headers on a 7.8'' screen are not as bad as they would be on a 6'' screen.