Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #106
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I'm tempted to borrow from Shrek:

Books like onions: Layers
Love it! Yes, please.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #107
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I dunno--I'm not seeing a lot of practical difference between Better Together: Collaborations and It Takes Two to Tango: Intense Connections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I do like both of them, but I too see them as very similar. So if you did have another brainwave, gmw, that could be the best solution.
Quote:
Okay, so what about:

What does it mean: Puzzlers

I like it too - it’s great!

That said, I have no real investment in “It Takes Two to Tango”, and the more we discuss the two themes, the closer they seem to be. So gmw, since your theme of collaboration was on the table first, I’d be happy to withdraw mine and look for another. If I get stuck, I’m sure Darzin has a stockpile I could borrow from
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #108
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Quote:

Love it! Yes, please.
Okay, so that's what I'll do, please update my theme to

Victoria, it's okay, I'm happy to change mine. (The original idea, while it garnered a bit of interest when I first mentioned it last year, had only lukewarm reception in this thread, so best to go with the flow; it's not like the books nominated, when the time comes, are going to be what anyone expected anyway. )
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:19 AM   #109
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
How about:

Let's be Meta: Books about Books

or

How Meta is That? Books about Books

ETA: I've updated the second post with the list of themes and while it says official, it's all still tentative. Tweak, improve, change as you will.

(It might be nice to finalize it by the end of May, so we go into June able to look to the next round.)
Thank you for offering a suggestion. I'm very sorry and embarrassed to admit that I don't understand what it means to be "meta." Can you explain this and how it would change the theme? It sounds new age and philosophy-related.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:11 AM   #110
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
(Of a creative work) referring to itself or to the conventions of its genre; self-referential.
"The enterprise is inherently ‘meta’, since it doesn't review movies, for example, it reviews the reviewers who review movies"
I just googled "meta" and got this quite good definition.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #111
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How about:

The Inward Eye: Books about Books

or

I'd Rather be Reading: Books about Books

Are we set with the other themes?
Old 05-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #112
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like I’d Rather Be Reading. It’s the name of a book I just read that inspired me to nominate that theme.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #113
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I like I’d Rather Be Reading. It’s the name of a book I just read that inspired me to nominate that theme.
Serendipity.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #114
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #115
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Are we set with the themes as currently listed?

ETA: Before anyone proposes a tentative schedule, people should feel free to make suggestions and especially in regard to their own nomination, name month(s) which won't work because of personal stuff.

Last edited by issybird; 05-13-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #116
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Thanks. Actually I’d like to change mine to: “It takes two to tango: collaborators”
It work in suggestions made to gmw, and follows the usual form better.

I have no preference in terms of timing.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #117
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
My thinking is that my theme should go at the end if possible, since it's a catch-all category for whatever doesn't fit anywhere else, whatever someone might want to renominate, etc.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #118
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Are we set with the themes as currently listed?

ETA: Before anyone proposes a tentative schedule, people should feel free to make suggestions and especially in regard to their own nomination, name month(s) which won't work because of personal stuff.
I think I'm going to change to my other thought -- Working Class, Labour of Love. I like Tasty Morsels, but I'm drawn to my roots by the Working Class theme idea.

As for months? Seems like September (Labor Day in the US), or May (May Day internationally) are the most appropriate.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #119
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I think I'm going to change to my other thought -- Working Class, Labour of Love. I like Tasty Morsels, but I'm drawn to my roots by the Working Class theme idea.

As for months? Seems like September (Labor Day in the US), or May (May Day internationally) are the most appropriate.
I like this!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #120
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
My thinking is that my theme should go at the end if possible, since it's a catch-all category for whatever doesn't fit anywhere else, whatever someone might want to renominate, etc.
Sounds fine to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post

Oh, I'm glad you've switched! It was your choice, but I vastly preferred Working Class. It'll have to be September, though, as this slate will go through March.

LOL, though, I had been thinking that either Anything Goes or Tasty Morsels would have been a good choice for December and now that's been scotched!

I'll amend the post with the list to include tentative months.