Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #301
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Free @ Amazon

Desert Dreams
by Deborah Cox
Historical Western Avon 1995

Almost Midnight by Teresa McCarthy
(Colorado Clearbrooks)
Contemporary Spin off of her historical books

I really need sleep I was up to 9AM reading Velvet Promise. The makings of a good book is when you lose sleep over it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #302
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I like just the page number, so the time left to read would be lost on me.

I see what you're saying about the soft keys. But since they dim out to black to match the edges of the device I don't notice them when I am reading.

I like PT Sans. I've set a couple of themes with colored backgrounds (blue-grey, buff, pale green, and purple). I like them!

I tend to change the brightness setting a lot depending on where I am in the house.

I still love my Sony, but the Nexus has become my primary reader. That's partly because I love Calibre Companion.
You should give Moon+ a try. There is a free version I think but the Pro is so worth it.

You need this app! I use it on all my tablets to switch WiFi on or off from notifications area or icon. It makes it so easy to toggle WiFi On or Off.
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #303
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Nexus 7 has immersion mode. You just turn off wifi and you have a full screen to read on. No distractions whatsoever with Moon+ it even has a take a rest feature you can set. I got mine for two hours and one hour was too intrusive but it good to rest your eye after a few hours of reading. lol

See my screenshot this is exactly what I look at when I am reading as you can see nothing to distract. I love immersion mode.
I'd need ADHD mode...something that locked me into a reading app for X amount of time & wouldn't let me out. *I'm* the problem that needs fixing here, not the app.

Moon+ does look interesting, but I'm actually just fine with the Kindle app, usually set on white text on black and brightness way down, since nowadays I do most of my tablet/phone reading at night. But it's tough to shut my brain off from "check Facebook, check Twitter, check mail, zomg new articles in my RSS reader/Pocket (both of which still work with wifi off)". Something about physically picking up my PW2 triggers a different mode in my brain, similar to a paper book, I'd guess.

Apologies if this one's already been listed, but The Mane Event by Shelly Laurenston is at $1.99 on Kindle today. I adore her G.A. Aiken dragon-shifter paranormals, but I've never gotten into these. Anyone else?

Last edited by VictoriaP; 01-17-2014 at 05:15 PM.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #304
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
You should give Moon+ a try. There is a free version I think but the Pro is so worth it.

You need this app! I use it on all my tablets to switch WiFi on or off from notifications area or icon. It makes it so easy to toggle WiFi On or Off.
I've got the Wi-fi setting as a shortcut on my phone, but I will check out the app.
I guess I don't get the big deal about the Wifi while I'm reading. I hear a blip if I get an email but it doesn't affect the screen as I'm reading at all. Do you trun it off to save on the battery?
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #305
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I had to charge my PW about every 3 days when I still used it. Wifi off. I like to charge at 33 % or in that arena. Now I use my basic and I charge it a tiny bit less than the PW. 4 days maybe? Not sure.
But I read a few hours a day (4 ish?)and I have always had to charge my kindles about every 2-3 days. Same with the K3. K1 even more often.
Again, I don't like to go down to low on the battery. I always worry I run out when I lay in bed to read.
I don't know if this is that kind of battery, but I have been told with other electronics, to let it fully discharge and then fully charge it a couple times. You may had inadvertently recalibrated the battery by charging it too often.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #306
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I LOVE Shelly Laurenston's shifter books. They are really good.

Thanks for the wifi status bar app recommend, Blossom. I hope it will work on my Nook HD. I have a nice app on my Nexus desktop that allows me to 1 click wifi off and on, but that app doesn't work on my Nook.

Last edited by booklover6; 01-17-2014 at 05:27 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #307
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I LOVE Shelly Laurenston's shifter books. They are really good.

Thanks for the wifi status bar app recommend, Blossom. I hope it will work on my Nook HD. I have a nice app on my Nexus desktop that allows me to 1 click wifi off and on, but that app doesn't work on my Nook.
It should it works on the Kindle Fire. I love that I can from my book when I need to Google something I just drop the notification area down and hit turn WiFi on then turn it back off once I am done.
I've been using this app for years and found nothing comparable. It doesn't suck battery life and has small foot print.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #308
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I've got the Wi-fi setting as a shortcut on my phone, but I will check out the app.
I guess I don't get the big deal about the Wifi while I'm reading. I hear a blip if I get an email but it doesn't affect the screen as I'm reading at all. Do you trun it off to save on the battery?
Oh yes I keep WiFi off to save battery otherwise I would charging nightly. On my Nexus 7 I charge every three days. My Kindle Fire can go a week before it needs charging with WiFi off of course in standby it can go up to two weeks.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #309
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Medieval Romance Alert!

Lisa Jackson:
  1. Enchantress $2.99
  2. Kiss of the Moon $0.99
  3. Outlaw $0.99

All were published between 1993-1995 by Pocket so they are backlist titles.

Enchantress is available at Kobo and is couponable the other two are Agency books.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #310
laurla
Addict
laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
OMGosh guys, thank you ALL so much for replying. That's why , you're all so helpful, so I'll try all the things suggested and hopefully get this figured out.
I'm late (as usual) to the convo, but less than a week was what I would get and I read 4 or so hours a day as well. I almost always went down to the pop up telling me I was 'very low!' Sometimes I'd be so into the book I'd hit ok and mean to go plug in and forget and kindle would shut down on me...then I was forced to wait 30 minutes or so for it to get enough juice to turn on.

Anyway, I don't find your usage to be different than mine but I guess that doesn't mean it's normal, though, does it? We're just hard readers, I guess, on our hardware
laurla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #311
laurla
Addict
laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nexus 7 has immersion mode. You just turn off wifi and you have a full screen to read on. No distractions whatsoever with Moon+ it even has a take a rest feature you can set. I got mine for two hours and one hour was too intrusive but it good to rest your eye after a few hours of reading. lol

See my screenshot this is exactly what I look at when I am reading as you can see nothing to distract. I love immersion mode.
That is what I see too with my beee-yooo-tee-full new Moon+ reader on my beee-yooo-tee-full new Fire.

Uh, can you tell I'm still super excited about my new toy?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #312
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurla View Post
That is what I see too with my beee-yooo-tee-full new Moon+ reader on my beee-yooo-tee-full new Fire.

Uh, can you tell I'm still super excited about my new toy?
Oooo which Fire did you get? (Sorry if you mentioned it earlier in the thread, I forgot).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #313
laurla
Addict

Quote:
I would just create a new library in Calibre then just reconvert the books as I plan to read them. I currently have 50 books on my tablet and to me that is plenty. I convert as I plan to read if I was to convert everything at once I wouldn't get to read till 2016!
HA! I normally convert as I buy but that was the epubs to AWZ3 for my PW... now I have to go the other way and switch the gazillion of AWZ3s to epub. I don't want to create a new library (I like having one place for all books). I have a custom column that tells me all of the formats I have for each book (this is a tag custom column, not the built in one from calibre) because I also want to know which books I have that are paperback or tagged as no format (series placeholders).

I've always wanted to have all of my books on my ereader, especially series, in case I needed to refer back to an older book when not at my PC... but I'm finding that I don't need to do that anymore - so I will be converting as I build my reading list for the month and loading those on the Fire.

As for re-conversion for format clean-up, that's a secondary project goal for myself for this year and I will likely go alpha by author starting sometime soon, maybe...
Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #314
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurla View Post
As for re-conversion for format clean-up, that's a secondary project goal for myself for this year and I will likely go alpha by author starting sometime soon, maybe...
It took me several months, but was so worth it. I didn't get much reading done (or TV) while in the process though.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #315
laurla
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Oooo which Fire did you get? (Sorry if you mentioned it earlier in the thread, I forgot).
7" HD. I will still use it primarily as an ereader and I'd heard enough from folks that the HDX didn't do as nicely for that.

I am loving it so far... I spent a lot of time figuring out how to side-load android apps onto it without having another android device for the google-play apps (because amazon and google play don't want to play nicely, apparently). I needed to figure that out for the Moon+ Pro, but I have to say it was very much worth the effort!!!!