Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-17-2014, 02:36 AM   #286
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
Atunah, that's part of why I jailbroke my PW2; there's a little tweak that switches the battery icon to a percentage instead. It helped me to determine that in fact, my PW2 was actually fairly average in terms of battery life. (I read heavily, and with the light on a bit higher than Amazon's suggested setting of 10.)
Well they gave that to use on the Kindle Fire maybe they will someday on a regular Kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #287
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
See that's why you need a back up reader for when your main one is charging. I am good to go. I got 4 eINK and 4 Tablets.
And here I was feeling guilty because I have three and three.....

(I don't count my phone...3" screen - no way!)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #288
JNCalif
Enthusiast
JNCalif is clearly one to watchJNCalif is clearly one to watchJNCalif is clearly one to watchJNCalif is clearly one to watchJNCalif is clearly one to watchJNCalif is clearly one to watchJNCalif is clearly one to watchJNCalif is clearly one to watchJNCalif is clearly one to watchJNCalif is clearly one to watchJNCalif is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I do. My K3 would be my backup. I also still have a K1 and the PW1 in the house. I am covered, yet I am still a bit OCD with charging. I just like the battery to be more full. When it goes below half full I get twitchy. .
Its not rational I know, but that's how it is with me.
I am EXACTLY the same way! I have a Kindle keyboard, a 1st-generation Kindle Fire, a 2nd-generation Kindle Fire, a 1st generation iPad Mini and the latest iPad Mini...and I use ALL of them as e-readers. I do have to say, my favorite is the latest iPad mini. Primarily because I have a huge e-library and the darn thing doesn't crash, but also because I can have Kindle, Nook, Diesel, Adobe e-reader and Overdrive apps on it.
JNCalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #289
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
OMGosh guys, thank you ALL so much for replying. That's why , you're all so helpful, so I'll try all the things suggested and hopefully get this figured out.

Ok, some good freebies/deals today!
You rockstar people, Playing for Love at Deep Haven by Katy Regnery

M/C girls? Behold the Stars by Susan Fanetti

N/A, few but good ratings: Mangled Hearts by Felicia Tatum

The Return by T.L. Parks, just a few ratings but sounds good.

And if you've missed out when it's been on sale before, I give this a solid 4-4.5 even. Charade by Nyrae Dawn is $.99

ETA 2 more freebies:

Rated very highly: Beyond Control - Karice Bolton

A Taste of Pearl - Arianne Richmonde

Last edited by Blue2u; 01-17-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #290
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
And here I was feeling guilty because I have three and three.....

(I don't count my phone...3" screen - no way!)
I actually use to read on my 3.2 screen. I have two 7" tablets, one 5" and 4.2" All make good readers but the Nexus 7 is my prefer reader. It's perfect! I read with Moon+ -5 brightness in light and -20 in the dark and there is no eyestrain whatsoever.

I am using Moon + and using a paperback background with Amasis for modern stories and Gentium XL that I modified for the PW last year for historical stories. The paperback background makes it feel like a real book and the fonts I use has that printed book look to them. It's bliss for me. No more washed out newspaper reading for me. It will take a huge improvement for eInk to get me back.
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #291
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I need a little help with library books. The book I was planning to buy unexpectedly showed up at library, which is great, except now I'm wondering if there is a way for me to get notification when a book from author I read is added to library, so I could grab it right away.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #292
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
I need a little help with library books. The book I was planning to buy unexpectedly showed up at library, which is great, except now I'm wondering if there is a way for me to get notification when a book from author I read is added to library, so I could grab it right away.
If you are the one who recommended the book you can put yourself a hold in when you ask them to add it. Otherwise you just got to be quick and check like every hour for new titles.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #293
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
I actually use to read on my 3.2 screen. I have two 7" tablets, one 5" and 4.2" All make good readers but the Nexus 7 is my prefer reader. It's perfect! I read with Moon+ -5 brightness in light and -20 in the dark and there is no eyestrain whatsoever.

I am using Moon + and using a paperback background with Amasis for modern stories and Gentium XL that I modified for the PW last year for historical stories. The paperback background makes it feel like a real book and the fonts I use has that printed book look to them. It's bliss for me. No more washed out newspaper reading for me. It will take a huge improvement for eInk to get me back.
I still read on my iPhone 5 when my PW runs out of battery. Not often, but it does happen and I read an entire book that way last month without really thinking about it. Never had eyestrain using my iPads either...but I found I read a LOT less over the two years that I didn't use a dedicated e-ink device. The tablets' "distraction factor" is just too high for me.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #294
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
I still read on my iPhone 5 when my PW runs out of battery. Not often, but it does happen and I read an entire book that way last month without really thinking about it. Never had eyestrain using my iPads either...but I found I read a LOT less over the two years that I didn't use a dedicated e-ink device. The tablets' "distraction factor" is just too high for me.
Nexus 7 has immersion mode. You just turn off wifi and you have a full screen to read on. No distractions whatsoever with Moon+ it even has a take a rest feature you can set. I got mine for two hours and one hour was too intrusive but it good to rest your eye after a few hours of reading. lol

See my screenshot this is exactly what I look at when I am reading as you can see nothing to distract. I love immersion mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-17-16-24-29.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	118052  
Old 01-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #295
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
I usually check my library once a day. They only add books once a week or twice at most, but it's never the same day. In Overdrive there is an option to sort by date added so you only have to look at the first few pages to see what's new.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #296
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nexus 7 has immersion mode. You just turn off wifi and you have a full screen to read on. No distractions whatsoever with Moon+ it even has a take a rest feature you can set. I got mine for two hours and one hour was too intrusive but it good to rest your eye after a few hours of reading. lol

See my screenshot this is exactly what I look at when I am reading as you can see nothing to distract. I love immersion mode.
Hmm, I am using Mantano and it uses the full screen without turning off wifi. I usually read with the white/default background. Maybe I will give a color a try.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #297
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
All make good readers but the Nexus 7 is my prefer reader. It's perfect! I read with Moon+ -5 brightness in light and -20 in the dark and there is no eyestrain whatsoever.
-20? Is that the Moon+ setting or a screendim setting? I use @ 25%. (That's +25%)

Quote:
The paperback background makes it feel like a real book and the fonts I use has that printed book look to them. It's bliss for me. No more washed out newspaper reading for me. It will take a huge improvement for eInk to get me back.
Yes, the Nexus 7.2 is so nice for reading, I can still hardly believe it. I use a linen paper-like background, and Charis SIL Modified Larger. So good for my eyes. I just got a Moko Slim cover in brown, and now it is even more perfect. I would like it better if it was about an inch or two shorter. So I still use my e-inks every time I leave the house.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #298
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Hmm, I am using Mantano and it uses the full screen without turning off wifi. I usually read with the white/default background. Maybe I will give a color a try.
Oh no I turn WiFi off myself from the notifications area. I use WiFi Switch app for this. Mantano is okay but it doesn't do immersion mode yet. I still have the black part where the soft keys are which takes up valuable screen space not to mention it doesn't have time left to read which is a must have for me. Using Mantano you get about 6" to read on but with Moon+ you get the full 7" and that makes a huge difference.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-17-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #299
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
-20? Is that the Moon+ setting or a screendim setting? I use @ 25%. (That's +25%)

Yes, the Nexus 7.2 is so nice for reading, I can still hardly believe it. I use a linen paper-like background, and Charis SIL Modified Larger. So good for my eyes. I just got a Moko Slim cover in brown, and now it is even more perfect. I would like it better if it was about an inch or two shorter. So I still use my e-inks every time I leave the house.
Yes it's brightness settings in the Moon+ app. I don't use Screen Dim but I have my tablet brightness all the way down and Moon+ at -5 or -20 depending on the lighting. The only time I use Screen Dim is if I try to read on the Kindle app which has that brightness bug in it and screen dim is only thing that disables it. I like having 7" tablet to read on. I think it's the perfect length. I hold mine from the bottom.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #300
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh no I turn WiFi off myself from the notifications area. I use WiFi Switch app for this. Mantano is okay but it doesn't do immersion mode yet. I still have the black part where the soft keys are which takes up valuable screen space not to mention it doesn't have time left to read which is a must have for me. Using Mantano you get about 6" to read on but with Moon+ you get the full 7" and that makes a huge difference.
I like just the page number, so the time left to read would be lost on me.

I see what you're saying about the soft keys. But since they dim out to black to match the edges of the device I don't notice them when I am reading.

I like PT Sans. I've set a couple of themes with colored backgrounds (blue-grey, buff, pale green, and purple). I like them!

I tend to change the brightness setting a lot depending on where I am in the house. I like that I just have to swipe the left side of the page up or down to change it.

I still love my Sony, but the Nexus has become my primary reader. That's partly because I love Calibre Companion.

Last edited by library addict; 01-17-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: addition