Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #211
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deljah View Post
Thanks kg3. I edited the links. I couldn't get it to work exactly following your instructions...must've done something wrong...but the links seems to be edited at this point.
-->Deljah, I hope this is a little clearer/more specific than what I posted before.

-You can edit your reply like this:

-Here's the whole example of what your original affiliate link looks like (minus the opening and closing brackets), after you've inserted the link - you'll see something like this:

URL="http://www.amazon.com/Boardinghouse-Brides-Trilogy-Vickie-McDonough-ebook/dp/B008FTJXBA/ref?tag=dailycheaprea-20"]Amazon[/URL

-you would then select and delete the affiliate portion only (the part after the 10 digit ASIN - B008FTJXBA), right before the quotation mark:

/ref?tag=dailycheaprea-20

-and would end up with this:

URL="http://www.amazon.com/Boardinghouse-Brides-Trilogy-Vickie-McDonough-ebook/dp/B008FTJXBA"]Amazon[/URL

-after you press submit reply this will appear in the thread as:

Amazon

-->An alternative to editing within your reply is: after you press the "insert link" icon button (to add your link to your post) you can just edit the original link w/affiliate tag in the "insert link" pop-up window before you press ok. You select and delete everything after the 10 digit ASIN.

-Affiliate tags for stores other than Amazon look a little different, for B&N you basically remove everything after the 10 digit number within the link.
kg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #212
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Ah here's one for you to think on. Publication order or Chronological order? Which way would you choose to read a series?
In general, I prefer publication order.

However, if the author suggests different (think Christina Warren's St. Martins releases of her Others series - which are being released out of order), I go with the author suggestion.

I'm reading Grace Burrowes' Lonely Lords series - which I'm enjoying because I love me some tortured heroes - but it's making me a little crazy because the timing of the books seems to be all over the place. Some of them are happening at the same time, so things you already knew happened in book 1 are still in the process of happening in book 2. Then later in the series the books actually earlier in time than the first released book. I'll be curious if she doesn't come out with a revised chronology/reading order after they've all been released.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 02:39 AM   #213
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I prefer chronological order, if at all possible. I've re-read most of Anne McCaffrey's Pern series in chron order, and it was very satisfying. I plan to do that with Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series, as well.
I know this is the romance thread, but those two series are some of my favorite books! Along with Georgette Heyer, of course. Weird combination. Actually they are romances too in a way, aren't they (the Pern and Darkover series). Being as you must be a fan to have reread them, can you recommend any other series of a similar kind? I am not into urban/vampire/shiftchanging etc which seems so popular today. I am enjoying Carriger though. I prefer character development and story line over excessive "rumpy-pumpy". And of course some laran doesn't hurt.

P. S. Have you read any of Anne's son's books? Are they good?
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:11 AM   #214
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Publication order. It's the way you would have read them if you read the series as it released. And as it was actually written.

Take for example Carla Neggers Sharpe & Donovam series. She released a "prequel" novella after the second book. But even though it is billed as a prequel and takes place before the events in book 1, if you read it before book 1 it gives away a MAJOR spoiler. Also, the events in the prequel are more about the events in the third book. So I would highly recommend reading it after the second book when it was published.

The same with the MacGregors series by Nora Roberts. If you were to read chronologically the books would be in a totally different order than they were published.

Of course there may be a series out there that would benefit from chronilogical order. But I think those would be very rare.
Exactly how I feel. I think it's best to read in the order they are originally published. I suppose later you could go back and reread them in chronological order but even if the author suggests chronological I just can't see switching back and forth like that.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #215
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm reading Grace Burrowes' Lonely Lords series - which I'm enjoying because I love me some tortured heroes - but it's making me a little crazy because the timing of the books seems to be all over the place. Some of them are happening at the same time, so things you already knew happened in book 1 are still in the process of happening in book 2. Then later in the series the books actually earlier in time than the first released book. I'll be curious if she doesn't come out with a revised chronology/reading order after they've all been released.
Good to know. I'll hold off on starting that series.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #216
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelreader View Post
I know this is the romance thread, but those two series are some of my favorite books! Along with Georgette Heyer, of course. Weird combination. Actually they are romances too in a way, aren't they (the Pern and Darkover series).
Yes, I think so, especially the Darkover books.

Quote:
Being as you must be a fan to have reread them, can you recommend any other series of a similar kind?
I read them all (the two series) 30 odd years ago, and they stuck with me as being so good. With the advent of ebooks, and sites such as goodreads that list chronological order, I decided to re-read them both. I have one or two left in the Pern books, but have barely begun Darkover.

The only other series I might consider re-reading is the Amber series by Zelazny. As I recall that was extremely good.

Quote:
P. S. Have you read any of Anne's son's books? Are they good?
No I haven't read them, and don't plan to. Some of the reviews suggest they aren't very good. I may investigate them further at some point.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #217
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
All who are sick, hope you're feeling better today!

For those who've bought the first 2 in the 'Corps Security' series by Harper Sloan, book 3 is now on sale for $.99, Beck
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #218
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Free @ Amazon

Ever Since Eve by Pamela Browning
(The Keeping Secrets Series, Book 1)
Harlequin 1987
Note: Book two is only $1.99

Ravenous (Horde Wars, Book One) by Sherri L. King
Ellora's Cave 2003

Repeat Freebies:

Lavender Vows: A Mini-Novel by Colleen Gleason
(The Medieval Herb Garden Series #1)

Aphrodite's Kiss by Julie Kenner

MONTANA REUNION
by Soraya Lane
(Montana Book 1)

Love, Laughter & Lucky Marbles by Kate Hewitt
Old 01-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #219
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
In general, I prefer publication order.

However, if the author suggests different (think Christina Warren's St. Martins releases of her Others series - which are being released out of order), I go with the author suggestion.

Sally Mackenzie does too with her Naked Nobility series. I gave up on it when I went to the next book and realized I had missed something. I really enjoyed the series till I realized it was out of order too.

OT: I am now caught up on Haven and waiting with bated breath for the announcement there will be a season 5. It doesn't look good from what I am reading SyFy is notorious for leaving shows in limbo. Season finale has a huge cliff hangers okay several huge ones that may never be answered This is why I do not get into TV Shows and prefer books.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-13-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #220
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
OT: I am now caught up on Haven and waiting with bated breath for the announcement there will be a season 5. It doesn't look good from what I am reading SyFy is notorious for leaving shows in limbo. Season finale has a huge cliff hangers okay several huge ones that may never be answered This is why I do not get into TV Shows and prefer books.
Happens with books, too. Maybe not as often, but there have been a few series dropped by the publisher mid-series. Thankfully with romance at least the books themselves should have a HEA/HFN, but doesn't mean other characters or plot points all get resolved

There are a lot of series I have really enjoyed that get cancelled with no resolution. That's why I tip my hat to series who try to wrap things up, even if some stuff is rushed.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #221
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
If anyone wishes to vote in the annual AAR poll, it is open now through Sunday, January 26th, 2014.

There are 23 categories, but you only need to vote in six categories for your ballot to count.

See HERE for details.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #222
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
This is one of the reasons I'm always tickled to find a new series to enjoy, *most* of the time all the loose ends are tied up!

OT, to this thread, there are those who wonder if George RR Martin will ever finish ASOIAF series!

*back to watching the Game of Thrones trailer for the zillionth time*
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #223
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Blossom, and any other S.C. Stephens/Thoughtless lovers, did you see this from her website Jan 7:
Quote:
I haven’t done a “What are you working on?” update in a while. Why? Because I wasn’t sure if the story I was working on would ever see the light of day. Now that I am over halfway through writing it though, I am 99.9% sure I’m going to publish it.
So, what have I been working on? Kellan’s point of view of Thoughtless. Yes, I’m going to give you the story through his eyes, and let me tell you, it’s not always easy experiencing it through Kellan’s POV. I’ve cried more than once. It has been a lot of fun though, and I hope that you enjoy the companion piece to Thoughtless, which I have tentatively titled Thoughtful.
I’m currently writing the last third of the book, and I don’t have a street date for you yet. I also can’t predict when it might be available, since several different people will be involved with the process of choosing a release date: editors, publishers, cover designers, formatters, and more! Know that it’s coming though, and soon you’ll have more Kellan!
In other news…
I’m also finishing up publishing the Conversion series. I’ve begun the process of editing book three, and it is scheduled to release April 9th, 2014. You can pre-order it HERE.
Once Kellan’s POV is complete, I’ll be working on a prequel with him. It will be a shorter novella, focusing on how the D-Bags came together. I may also play around with a Griffin/Anna novella, since those two crack me up.
After that, I’ll be heading back to the Conversion universe, to finish up the Next Generation trilogy. Book two is already finished (and it is my favorite so far!), and I’m a quarter of the way through book three. My goal is to publish the entire Next Gen trilogy in 2015.
As for my other older novels, It’s All Relative and Not a Chance, I do plan on cleaning those up and publishing them, I’m just not sure when. The timeline for their publication depends on Kellan’s POV and the prequel. And for all you Not a Chance fans, yes, I will be writing a sequel to that book someday, and I plan on releasing book one and book two back to back if not simultaneously.
Whew! So that’s what I’ll be working on for the next couple of years. Which project are you the most excited for?
Ok, I'm not normally a 'squee'er, but OMGosh I am SOOOO excited!!!!
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #224
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Good to know. I'll hold off on starting that series.
Ooh, I wouldn't want you to pass on a good series....I don't think this is the case of the books being intentionally released out of order (like the Christina Warren books). I just think Burrowes wanted everything to happen in a short amount of chronological time, so there's overlap or some time jumping (back) in the various books.

I think there are things brought out in the earlier books that would be spoilered (is that a word?! - "spoiled" doesn't seem right!) if you tried to read these in chronological order (even if that were possible - like I said, at least two of them are basically happening at the same time. Like the Julia Quinn "Wyndham" duology).

On the other hand, if that will make you crazy and take you out of the story, it might be worth passing up for now. I have issues with books in first person PRESENT tense. No matter how good the books are - and people have tried to talk me into a number of them - I'm so preoccupied with the tense that I just can't enjoy the story. (Time-Traveller's Wife being the exception to that rule).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:05 AM   #225
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Blossom, and any other S.C. Stephens/Thoughtless lovers, did you see this from her website Jan 7:

Ok, I'm not normally a 'squee'er, but OMGosh I am SOOOO excited!!!!
Yeah I saw it when she posted on Facebook a week ago. I wont be reading it. As I think that Kellan in the first book was a real mean jerk. I don't mind reading small excerpts of his POV but I do not want to know what goes on in his mind from start to finish. I felt the same way with Beautiful Disaster. I rather guess on what my heroes were thinking at the time in the story. I don't want to know everything because it takes the mystery out of the story and a mysterious hero is what makes a good romance.