Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #196
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
pisceschick, Blossom, I hope you're feeling both better. Not a big purchase week (although India and 75off have helped a bit ). And not a bad reading week
I still have a dry cough but getting stronger every day. I've gone from sleeping 14 hours to about 10 hours now. I think my body is still trying to heal as when the bug was active I couldn't sleep a wink. I am pushing everyone to get a Flu shot. We had a 12 years old girl die here of the same flu I had. A simple shot could have saved her life.

Lisa Renee Jones about lost her Daughter In law to the flu. Healthy woman in her 20s nearly died and was on life support. She is doing much better now. This is no jokes folks the flu is bad this year go get that shot! I've yet to hear of someone who got a flu shot that got this nasty bug. I read Texas is being hit harder while here in Tennessee it's more regional than widespread.

I've heard people refer to it as bad cold and some call it a sinus infection. Not many people who never really get the flu know it's the flu when this starts. For me it was a simple tickle in my throat. I think the big warning sign is the fever. If your temp gets over 102 you need to take every precaution you can and this bug hits you hard after that with chills so bad you think you are going to break your teeth! Then before you know you feel lifeless and unable to do much about it and for me the fever lasted over 48 hours. Motrin couldn't even break it only reduced it to 102.5 I call this phase one. Phase two is when you can't breath. you have runny and stuffy nose at the same time. How is this possible? I don't know. This is the phase where it can turn deadly. I remember shoving Sinex up my nose so I could just breath because my throat and my neck glands was so swollen I had a hole the size of a silver dollar to breath through. I lost my voice for four days and then it Phase Three happens where you feel like you need to buy stock in the Kleenex company. I went through 10 boxes of tissues. Phase Four is a horrible hacking that seems to turn into a dry cough a week later and I still have this.

I can tell you after the fever hit and I puked so hard I broke blood vessels in my face I had no appetite whatsoever after that for a week. I have never experience this. I lived on Sprite for a week and water tasted soo nasty and I love water even Jello for me was too rich to eat. It would be a week before I felt even remotely a little bit hungry and I started on clear liquids and moved to soups. I am now back to eating normal without having to run to the bathroom thirty minutes later. Although this sickness has tore up my stomach and my GERD seems to be worse now.

I really do believe this bug could have killed me. I have never been so sick in my life! I never want to go through that again!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #197
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Has anyone gone through the renewal process with Brooklyn Library? I email them but have not heard back from them yet. Signing up didn't take this long. I am going to miss a hold or two.
Yes, and it was quite fast, I'll search tomorrow the address I sent the email and MP to you.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #198
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I'm a couple months short of my first year with Brooklyn. Questions:

Do they notify you when you're about to expire? Or early even? Where do you see how much time is left on your account? And do your holds disappear if you expire before you renew?

Hope you can answer one o' two of the above.

ETA:
Found where my account info is:
https://brooklyn.bibliocommons.com/user/account

(I don't expire until June. There are so many more books @ Brooklyn than in MD's OD!)

and the basic renew info:
http://www.bklynpubliclibrary.org/bo...ials#tab_renew
No they do not notify you at all. I would say to contact them a week before it expires to renew you will need to send them a email and attach your Acceptable ID again. I guess they do eventual get back with you and add a $50 fine for you to pay like last time. Right now I am waiting for them to get back with me.

I don't think your holds go anywhere as the account is just locked out for now till you renew however if something comes available while you are locked out you will miss that book as holds are only 3 days once it's available unless there is no waiting list then it stays up there a little longer.

You renewal date is one month after you got activated. I sub on December 10th of 2012 and my account expired Jan 10, 2014.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #199
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I purchased two books this week. One, Independent Study by Joelle Charbonneau I purchased from Kobo with a coupon and the other is Dark Wolf by Christine Feehan which I purchased from BN.

Both books are really good and I gave them both a five. However, I am upset with Kobo. Independent Study has no download link and can only be read through their apps. I won't buy books from them if I can't download and liberate them.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #200
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, etc
Combined 2 posts into one.

Last edited by kg3; 01-12-2014 at 06:52 PM.
kg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #201
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Susan Kearney titles On Sale at Amazon:

Lunar Heat (Heat Series #1) - Susan Kearney
----On Sale for $0.99 (reg. $5.49)
-Science Fiction Romance/Futuristic Romance
-This is a re-write of the book Island Heat published by Tor Paranormal Romance in 2007----Link to info. about the re-write
-Susan Kearney has been published by Harlequin, Tor, Hachette (Forever), Berkley, Leisure, Dorchester, etc.
-Not available at Kobo or Smashwords; not on sale at B&N

Solar Heat (Heat Series #2) - Susan Kearney
----On Sale for $1.99 (reg. $5.49)
-Originally published by Tor Paranormal Romance in 2008
-Not available at Kobo or Smashwords; not on sale at B&N

The Challenge (Rystani Warrior #1) - Susan Kearney----On Sale for $0.99 (reg. $4.99)
-Originally published by Tor Paranormal Romance in 2005
-Not available at Smashwords; not on sale at Kobo or B&N

The Dare (Rystani Warrior #2) - Susan Kearney----On Sale for $1.99 (reg. $4.99)
-Originally published by Tor Paranormal Romance in 2005
-Not available at Smashwords; not on sale at Kobo or B&N

Last edited by kg3; 01-12-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #202
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
I purchased two books this week. One, Independent Study by Joelle Charbonneau I purchased from Kobo with a coupon and the other is Dark Wolf by Christine Feehan which I purchased from BN.

Both books are really good and I gave them both a five. However, I am upset with Kobo. Independent Study has no download link and can only be read through their apps. I won't buy books from them if I can't download and liberate them.
There is a way to liberate a kepub. Someone in the Kobo forum posted the instructions. Look over there.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #203
Deljah
Connoisseur
Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Android tablet
I bought the Texas Boardinghouse Brides trilogy today for $2.99 at Amazon. It is inspirational. The author is Vickie McDonough. It is $9.39 at Kobo.

Enjoy the complete Texas Boardinghouse Brides series in one convenient jumbo volume! When his scheming cousins order him three brides, Luke faces bridal mayhem. . .and the woman who betrayed him. Shannon and Leah are stranded in Lookout with two options: find a job or a husband. But with brothers Garret and Mark Corbett around, it’s not as easy as it sounds. Reporter Jacqueline Davis aims to nab her story while jailbird Carly searches for a fresh start. . .but will two men—and love—get in their way?

I also bought Rebekah (Wives of the Patriarchs Book #2) by Jill Eileen Smith for $1.99 at Amazon. Another inspirational. It is $5.79 at Kobo.

When her father dies and she is left in the care of her conniving brother Laban, Rebekah knows her life has changed forever. Her hope for the future is restored when she falls in love with her cousin Isaac, and their relationship starts strong. But marital bliss cannot last forever, and the birth of their twin sons marks the beginning of years of misunderstanding, disagreement, and betrayal. The rift between them grows wider and wider until it is surely too deep to be mended. And yet, with God all things are possible.

I think my Amazon links may have the DailyCheapReads tag (or whatever it's called) in them. How do I remove those or edit the links for posting purposes?

Last edited by Deljah; 01-12-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: to delete referral tags from Amazon links
Deljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #204
kg3
Guru

--> Deljah, after you add the link, you just strip off everything after the ASIN number.

Example for your first link:

...../Boardinghouse-Brides-Trilogy-Vickie-McDonough-ebook/dp/B008FTJXBA/ref?tag=dailycheaprea-20

you would change it to--->

...../Boardinghouse-Brides-Trilogy-Vickie-McDonough-ebook/dp/B008FTJXBA
Old 01-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #205
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Ah here's one for you to think on. Publication order or Chronological order? Which way would you choose to read a series?

For me it would have to be Publication order I think. It would be odd to switch back and forth to say the third chronological book was written in the 80s and the second chronological book was in the 90s. The author's writing would have changed so dramatically I don't think I would get the full benefit of being able to see an author's skill grow as she published each book.

What do you think?
Old 01-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #206
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Ah here's one for you to think on. Publication order or Chronological order? Which way would you choose to read a series?

For me it would have to be Publication order I think. It would be odd to switch back and forth to say the third chronological book was written in the 80s and the second chronological book was in the 90s. The author's writing would have changed so dramatically I don't think I would get the full benefit of being able to see an author's skill grow as she published each book.

What do you think?
I prefer chronological order, if at all possible. I've re-read most of Anne McCaffrey's Pern series in chron order, and it was very satisfying. I plan to do that with Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series, as well.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #207
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Totally depends on the specific series.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #208
Deljah
Connoisseur
Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg3 View Post
--> Deljah, after you add the link, you just strip off everything after the ASIN number.

Example for your first link:

...../Boardinghouse-Brides-Trilogy-Vickie-McDonough-ebook/dp/B008FTJXBA/ref?tag=dailycheaprea-20

you would change it to--->

...../Boardinghouse-Brides-Trilogy-Vickie-McDonough-ebook/dp/B008FTJXBA
Thanks kg3. I edited the links. I couldn't get it to work exactly following your instructions...must've done something wrong...but the links seems to be edited at this point.
Deljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:22 PM   #209
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:

What do you think?
Publication order. It's the way you would have read them if you read the series as it released. And as it was actually written.

Take for example Carla Neggers Sharpe & Donovam series. She released a "prequel" novella after the second book. But even though it is billed as a prequel and takes place before the events in book 1, if you read it before book 1 it gives away a MAJOR spoiler. Also, the events in the prequel are more about the events in the third book. So I would highly recommend reading it after the second book when it was published.

The same with the MacGregors series by Nora Roberts. If you were to read chronologically the books would be in a totally different order than they were published.

Of course there may be a series out there that would benefit from chronilogical order. But I think those would be very rare.

Last edited by library addict; 01-12-2014 at 10:24 PM.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #210
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

What do you think?
Publication order usually makes sense to me. If I really love a series I may then go back and read in chronological order.
Jane A is offline   Reply With Quote