Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
fradetj
fradetj began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Wink Calibre for hardback cataloging?

Has anyone used Calibre for this purpose? I use Calibre for my e-books. Seems like isbn entries does the cataloging of hardbacks as well.
fradetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I do. "Add empty book" is perfect for this (also great for keeping track of a wish list of books). For my paper books I use a tag called, creatively, "Paper".
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I use Delicious Library on my Mac for cataloging both my ebooks and my paper books.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
For those who do use Calibre this way, I have to ask, why?
The collector part of me thinks, "cool, one more thing to catalog", but another part of me wonders "why, when I can just look at them on my bookshelves".

I am not denigrating the practice or anything, but really would like to know why. Because if there is a good reason that I am missing, I would like to know so I can do it too...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
fradetj
fradetj began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Why: An answer. Oregon State University Newman Library, a very small library, would like their religious books cataloged so that their members can do a quick search for items they may be interested in. If I can get the data for a book very easily using Calibre, I can save myself some time. I can create a Library, then export the files of my choosing to excel. Using excel we can create an excel file with searchable fields and protected fields for student use. This is my thinking anyway. Its also possible just to use Calibre as the search tool, as far as I know. So, not having seen this discussed, I thought I would ask if anyone had experience with this. If someone has, I may learn that this idea is feasible or unfeasible or get some advice.
fradetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please ask Calibre questions in the Calibre forum; that's why it's there. I'm moving this thread there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:39 AM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I use calibre to catalog everything I can put in there: ebooks, paper books, magazines, manga, tabletop RPGs, etc. Between tags and comments in the description, an unlimited number of cross-references can be created to assist with searches.

As to why add physical books to the database: You either don't have enough books yet, or your bookshelves are way more organized than I mine.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #8
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
I also use a file called 'dummy.paper', which is just a 0 length file,

I then add that to the books' formats (either drag onto Book Details pane, from the Add Books - add files to selected records, or in the Edit Metadata window.

Now it also shows in formats column.

You could also use a 'dummy.hard' file and use it to distinguish between hard or paperback versions.
Also use dummy.comic or dummy.magazine
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I use it for all kind of publications equal if it is a paper, electronic or audio-books. This works pretty well for me. I add the fields of informations I need to calibre and get rid of all the different databases where I use only a small part of functionality and always had made compromises.
The only other database I use is MediaMonky for all kind of audio (with a overlap in audio-books) and video.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use 'add from ISBN' with the tag set to <in paper library>

I also have set custom colors:
1) Green for the Title if that book has that tag
2) Purple for the Author if there is no formats
(you can pick your own colors )
Both 1 and 2 can exist at the same time, which is why the different columns are used. I do NOT show formats or Tags in my default bookshelf view.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
For those who do use Calibre this way, I have to ask, why?
For me, it's a good way to keep track of a series that I have split between paper and ebook. Also, it's really nice seeing my paper books in Calibre as I'm trying to replace my paper copies with their digital versions.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
As to why add physical books to the database: You either don't have enough books yet, or your bookshelves are way more organized than I mine.
yeah, I only have around 500 books and several months ago my wife and I organized them into fiction, non-fiction and manga.
Then we did the fiction by Author
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote