Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
No Book Covers?

I just looked into a few previews on my Kindle and was thinking of buying a few books. However I immediately noticed that they lack covers. Is there anyway to add a cover to them once purchased or am I just completely out of luck?
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I believe you can add covers but the DRM from any ebook must be removed first.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
darthreader13
darthreader13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I believe you can add covers but the DRM from any ebook must be removed first.
Newbie Question: What is the DRM?
darthreader13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVash View Post
I just looked into a few previews on my Kindle and was thinking of buying a few books. However I immediately noticed that they lack covers. Is there anyway to add a cover to them once purchased or am I just completely out of luck?
I've noticed that the preview samples often do not have covers even when the full versions do. I guess they do this to make the file smaller. All of my ebooks purchased from Amazon have had covers so far, and all but the worst of the Kindle freebies had covers too.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthreader13 View Post
Digital Rights Management. It's what they do to ebooks to keep you from copying them or using locked features on some books such as Text-To-Speech. Not all ebooks have DRM, but most of those purchased from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other large retailers do.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
earthpigborn
Enthusiast
earthpigborn began at the beginning.

Device: FBReader on Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthreader13 View Post
One would think someone who calls himself Darth would be familiar with the dark side
earthpigborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I've noticed that the preview samples often do not have covers even when the full versions do. I guess they do this to make the file smaller. All of my ebooks purchased from Amazon have had covers so far, and all but the worst of the Kindle freebies had covers too.
Thats good to know, thanks.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:53 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Very often an eBook will not have the same cover as the paper edition of the same book, because cover rights are negotiated separately, and the publisher hasn't bought the rights to electronic distribution of the cover art. Pretty much all eBooks will have some sort of cover, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:54 AM   #9
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Kindle books are setup to open at the first page and not show the cover, to confirm, go back as far as you can or, in the Menu, Go To Cover...
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:15 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
Kindle books are setup to open at the first page and not show the cover,
That's not entirely true. A Kindle book will open at whatever point the person who created the book has specified that it will open at.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I had the same problem. Get calibre and transfer your book there open file there will be the actual book and a jpeg that says 'cover'. Download the picture you want for the book, rename it 'cover' copy paste into the opened file from your book and it's done. As far as I can tell there's no problem with DRM, at least not will the books I did it with.

Good luck.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
As far as I can tell there's no problem with DRM, at least not will the books I did it with.
This is true. You can change the cover (and most of the metadata) on most Amazon books without removing DRM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote