Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-14-2014, 01:26 AM   #226
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The only other series I might consider re-reading is the Amber series by Zelazny. As I recall that was extremely good.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll take a look at it.
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:29 AM   #227
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
OT, to this thread, there are those who wonder if George RR Martin will ever finish ASOIAF series!

*back to watching the Game of Thrones trailer for the zillionth time*
Me too!
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #228
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
[QUOTE=FizzyWater;2738510]I think there are things brought out in the earlier books that would be spoilered (is that a word?! - "spoiled" doesn't seem right!) if you tried to read these in chronological order (even if that were possible - like I said, at least two of them are basically happening at the same time. Like the Julia Quinn "Wyndham" duology).

So then the Burrowes books should be read in publication order, Good to know. I never did read that Julia Quinn duology, for that very reason. I don't want to read the same story twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I have issues with books in first person PRESENT tense. No matter how good the books are - and people have tried to talk me into a number of them - I'm so preoccupied with the tense that I just can't enjoy the story.
I hate ANYTHING written in PRESENT tense. I avoid them on principle. First person I am fine with, as long as it's past tense.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #229
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yeah I saw it when she posted on Facebook a week ago. I wont be reading it. As I think that Kellan in the first book was a real mean jerk. I don't mind reading small excerpts of his POV but I do not want to know what goes on in his mind from start to finish. I felt the same way with Beautiful Disaster. I rather guess on what my heroes were thinking at the time in the story. I don't want to know everything because it takes the mystery out of the story and a mysterious hero is what makes a good romance.
Oh, ok, while I understand, I'm still super excited. Just hope she does it well!

And here's a bargain...
This book is on sale for $.99 and I've had it on my wishlist since release. It's not in the blurb anymore but apparently the characters are Kristen Ashley fans and base their adventure on that.
A is for Alpha Male by Laurel Curtis
blurb: I’m Haley Whitfield, and I recently had the ingenious idea to enlist my mother, Allison, as my kick*ss sidekick and set out on a road trip.

This road trip wasn’t to be just any road trip, but a very special one indeed. An adventure with an acutely specific purpose-- to find our other halves. The peanut butter to our jelly. The i to our Phone. The stripper to our pole.

If our romantic desires were a personal ad, they would read something like this.

** Two sassy women (Ages twenty-seven and forty-nine respectively--Ouch. Okay, ages twenty-seven and thirty--with nineteen years experience-- respectively) seeking Alpha Males to love us with zeal and kiss us with skill. Gorgeous face and sexy, tattooed, hard body a must. If you aren’t a dangerous bad*ss with the x-rated skills and virility to match, don’t bother. Must be willing to protect us from danger, value our quirkiness, and keep your mouth shut when said quirkiness is what leads to said danger. Momma’s boys named Dan Smith need not apply.**

I know. It’s a bit wordy. In fact, it would probably cost a fortune. Luckily, we’re not ready for the personal ad. We’re not that desperate...yet.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #230
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
And here's a bargain...
This book is on sale for $.99 and I've had it on my wishlist since release. It's not in the blurb anymore but apparently the characters are Kristen Ashley fans and base their adventure on that.
A is for Alpha Male by Laurel Curtis
blurb: I’m Haley Whitfield, and I recently had the ingenious idea to enlist my mother, Allison, as my kick*ss sidekick and set out on a road trip.

This road trip wasn’t to be just any road trip, but a very special one indeed. An adventure with an acutely specific purpose-- to find our other halves. The peanut butter to our jelly. The i to our Phone. The stripper to our pole.

If our romantic desires were a personal ad, they would read something like this.

** Two sassy women (Ages twenty-seven and forty-nine respectively--Ouch. Okay, ages twenty-seven and thirty--with nineteen years experience-- respectively) seeking Alpha Males to love us with zeal and kiss us with skill. Gorgeous face and sexy, tattooed, hard body a must. If you aren’t a dangerous bad*ss with the x-rated skills and virility to match, don’t bother. Must be willing to protect us from danger, value our quirkiness, and keep your mouth shut when said quirkiness is what leads to said danger. Momma’s boys named Dan Smith need not apply.**

I know. It’s a bit wordy. In fact, it would probably cost a fortune. Luckily, we’re not ready for the personal ad. We’re not that desperate...yet.
OK. Sold! The whole Kristen Ashley hero premise looks fun.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #231
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I never did read that Julia Quinn duology, for that very reason. I don't want to read the same story twice.
Though the books share some scenes (written from different characters POV) and the story takes place at the same time, the books were different. I hated the first story (the hero was such a jerk), but Mr. Cavendish, I Presume is my favorote post-Bridgertons JQ novel. That said I totally get why you wouldn't want to read them.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #232
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
I don't think anyone posted this Penguin deal yet . . .

The Girl's Guide (Man)Hunting (Bluebonnet #1) by Jessica Clare
Kindle | Kobo | Nook

Quote:
Once, Miranda felt a little exposed…

Miranda Hill’s cocky ex-boyfriend is back in Bluebonnet, Texas. He ditched her—and their little town—just as some rather shocking photos showed up on the Internet. Miranda wasn’t so lucky. Stuck in Bluebonnet and left to fend for herself, she’s never really shaken the scandal—or his betrayal. After nine long years, he’s back…

It’s time she gets even.

Former NHL hotshot Dane Croft has returned home to open a survival training school and reinvent himself. When his high-school girlfriend enrolls in the program, he has no idea that Miranda plans to get him in a compromising position. But to carry out her deviously sexy revenge, Miranda will have to get up-close and personal with Dane all over again. She got nowhere being a good girl; it’s time to be a little naughty. But falling in love with the man who broke her heart was never part of the plan…
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #233
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Amazon books on Calibre

Quote:
I keep a wish list of books I need to buy on Amazon. Freebies are in two libraries. One for Amazon and One for Everywhere else.
Sorry, but I'm regressing to the discussion from before on Calabre:
I finally decided to use Calibre to organize my books, thanks to you (and others)
recommendations. It's a big job, and I even bought a new (inexpensive) laptop to be a "Library Server". It is fun though and good for me to "discover" books that I bought and haven't read yet.

I was wondering how one gets Amazon books onto Calibre?
Thanks!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #234
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I finally decided to use Calibre to organize my books, thanks to you (and others)
recommendations. It's a big job, and I even bought a new (inexpensive) laptop to be a "Library Server". It is fun though and good for me to "discover" books that I bought and haven't read yet.

Thanks!
Google Apprentice Alf. We can't talk about here but it's super easy.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #235
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I finished my first medieval historical I have read in years. I do mean years! I think I was 19 last time I read one. I just have to say if there was an award for the most stupid heroine Lyonene gets it. I really need to brush up on medieval terminology. My dictionary was useless when searching for the meaning.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #236
auntykatkat
Evangelist
auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook/Nook Color
Quote:
So I finished my first medieval historical I have read in years. I do mean years! I think I was 19 last time I read one. I just have to say if there was an award for the most stupid heroine Lyonene gets it. I really need to brush up on medieval terminology. My dictionary was useless when searching for the meaning.
Oh, I so remember that story. I cannot remember if the story tells you her age. Here is what figured ..... she was most likely a teenager.(if historically accurate) If I looked at it that way, it didn't bother me so much.

Auntykatkat

PS: haven't got time to make a long post but here is link to Ellora's Cave Freebie & Sale section.

Last edited by auntykatkat; 01-14-2014 at 03:00 PM.
auntykatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #237
laurla
Addict
laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post

Thanks!
People do it different ways but I download my amazon purchases to Kindle for PC. That puts the book file on your PC drive (in a Kindle Content folder that is controlled by the app). I copy and save that file to a separate folder that I call Raw Original Downloads - the only thing I do to these files is change the name to "book title - author name" (they come from amazon as a string of letters and numbers). Then I add the book to calibre from the add books icon. There are so many things you can do at this point that we couldn't even begin to cover it all here, but that's the basics on getting the book into calibre. For things you can do after it's in, there are forums here on MR for calibre for just about everything including library management - calibre.

I hope this helps!!!
laurla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #238
laurla
Addict
laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Google Apprentice Alf. We can't talk about here but it's super easy.
Well, heck, I forgot about that part.... she's right. You can add a book like I said but it won't do you much good unless you visit with Alf first... sorry!!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #239
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntykatkat View Post
Oh, I so remember that story. I cannot remember if the story tells you her age. Here is what figured ..... she was most likely a teenager.(if historically accurate) If I looked at it that way, it didn't bother me so much.

Auntykatkat
She's 17 but there is such conflicting characterization about her. She is suppose to be a strong as a lioness and very brave yet she... well you know what the stupid act she does. It's just Argggh!!!!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #240
laurla
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurla View Post
Sooooo... I took the plunge yesterday and bought myself the Kindle Fire (regular 7" HD version) with the $30 off code from Amazon. If I'm remembering correctly, there are better apps to read/manage books on the Fire than the amazon app? YEs?No? Please share your experiences - I'd be very appreciative
I was sorta hoping I'd get some insights here...