Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #16
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
youve mentioned this before and it simply isnt the case.

if I tick -album 1- and set it to sync then runa sync its added to my iDevice

If i then reconnect and tick -album 2- and sync then albums 1 and 2 are on the iDevice UNLESS i unticked album 1

Whatever albums are ticked when you sync will be on the device its that simple, if you untick it then when you sync it will be removed.
Guess we just missed that option. Where is it at in iTunes. All we saw was the option to browse pick a folder for the photos and then synch. I didn't see any option to have multiple albums ticked. And we're using iTunes for PC if that makes any difference.

In any case, synching in iTunes sucks period vs. straight drag and drop as it's just added hassle. And if they don't go to more drag and drop (even if I reluctantly have to open iTunes to do it) I won't buy an iPad.

Which I probably won't as Apple just isn't going to be that open. They want it to be a very simple media consumption device for people who don't have tons of different content and thus can just set up all their synching stuff once and be done with it.

It's clunky for someone who constantly wants to just add content a file or two at a time.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #17
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Guess we just missed that option. Where is it at in iTunes. All we saw was the option to browse pick a folder for the photos and then synch. I didn't see any option to have multiple albums ticked. And we're using iTunes for PC if that makes any difference.

In any case, synching in iTunes sucks period vs. straight drag and drop as it's just added hassle. And if they don't go to more drag and drop (even if I reluctantly have to open iTunes to do it) I won't buy an iPad.

Which I probably won't as Apple just isn't going to be that open. They want it to be a very simple media consumption device for people who don't have tons of different content and thus can just set up all their synching stuff once and be done with it.

It's clunky for someone who constantly wants to just add content a file or two at a time.
i do agree to an extent but I was able to get use to it.
heres what I doe

Create a smart folder in iTunes called 'iPad photos' set that folder in iTunes to be the one that syncs.

then instead of opening a folder to browse images and drag the ones you want to a connected device, open iPhoto and drag the pics you want into your 'iPad photos' folder and connect device and sync voila pics you chose on iPad.

so basically instead of navigating through various folders to find the pics and then dragging them to the deviceI just use iPhoto to drag them tothe smart folder.

its nice to use iphoto to manage this its just different. another good trick is to set the smart folder to automatically add any photos to it that have a tag of 'iPad' then when importing pics add that tag next time you sync it will be on iPad.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #18
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
given apple's history that none of their devices have had simple drag-and-drop i find it very unlikely they'll start now with the ipad. adding files via the app tab in itunes is probably as close as we're going to get from apple. jailbroken iphones (and hopefully soon ipads) have many more options.

my personal complaint about the photo (and video, ibooks, pages, numbers, keynote) is the inability to create any sort of organization system. itunes took a step in the right direction allowing me to create playlists right on the ipad, but i won't be using my ipad for listening to music (who needs that large of a mp3 player???). video organization, well, there isn't any at all. ibooks has a few options to select, but the only custom organization i see is the ability to manually drag-and-drop reorder books in the bookshelf view. photos has no ability to create new folders and organize photos. without this what is the point in doing camera imports out on the road? it's just going to dump them all into one album. ugh. i can take hundreds of photos in a day easily. if i'm going to upload them to my ipad vs. my laptop, then let me at least organize them a bit.

apple is giving developers options for file import/export, at least it's a start. maybe they'll be more in those "1500 new api's" with the 4.0 OS due out this summer/fall.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, any drag and drop would definitely be in iTunes.

I'm just hoping the eventually wise up and make "my files" section as I outlined above and allow dragging and dropping into user made folders in their as I outlined above.

But I'm not holding my breath.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:43 AM   #20
z0rr0
z0rr0 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Why in 4.0?

Hey,
Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but what so special in ibooks for iPhone app that we have to wait till summer when 4.0 is out? Just an ebook reading app like so many other apps like Stanza, e-reader etc. Why does it require 4.0? ibooks for ipad runs on 3.xx.
Can anybady explain please?
z0rr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 05:23 AM   #21
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I imagine the wait for OS 4.0 is for the bookmark/position sync betwen iPhone and iPad. Also the iPad runs 3.2 while the iPhone/Touch are on 3.1, so there may be something in 3.2 that iBooks uses that needs to also be rolled into 4.0
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #22
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
youve mentioned this before and it simply isnt the case.

if I tick -album 1- and set it to sync then runa sync its added to my iDevice

If i then reconnect and tick -album 2- and sync then albums 1 and 2 are on the iDevice UNLESS i unticked album 1

Whatever albums are ticked when you sync will be on the device its that simple, if you untick it then when you sync it will be removed.
Yes, I learned it in a hard way. I haven't said that iTunes has to remove it. I only wanted not to check it (time, you know).
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #23
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
no. if you're a pc only household, then i'd skip mobile me. there isn't enough benefit for you. for mac users it gives you an online web site, custom domain, email box, photo gallery with very easy sharing, syncing of system configuration, mailboxes, 3rd party apps, a drop box style storage space, the ability to locate, message and lock down or erase/wipe your iphone and ipad remotely and a few other things.

<snip>

out of 5 stars i'd give it a 3.5 for mac users and a 1 for pc users.
?? You get most of that using a PC as well.

For me, I have it mainly for the 'find my iphone feature', I may never use it, but the 'insurance' of being able to locate and if need be wipe my phone remotely is worth the price of admission to me. If the syncing of ibooks is done this way as well, then it becomes an even better deal for me.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #24
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
well no upgrade for the original iphone is not a surprise. it's already 3 years old. 3 years in the cell-phone world is a pretty long time. you don't see any other manufacturer supporting their phones that long either. my original iphone has turned more into a touch these days.
The iPhone 2G may have been introduced 3 years ago, but it was sold until 2 years ago. I don't think 2 years are such a long time. Besides, the original iPhone is basically identical to the 3G except for the 3G and A-GPS in terms of hardware.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #25
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
The iPhone 2G may have been introduced 3 years ago, but it was sold until 2 years ago. I don't think 2 years are such a long time. Besides, the original iPhone is basically identical to the 3G except for the 3G and A-GPS in terms of hardware.
there arent many complex electronic devices that let a 3+ year old original(or even a device that stopped being sold 2 years ago) device use the latest firmware that is designed for the newest 3rd gen device.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #26
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
actually there is a big difference between the 2g, 3g and 3gs iphone. the 2g and 3g use a slower processor with only 128M of ram. the 3gs has a faster cpu and 256M of ram.

it doesn't matter it was sold up until 2 years ago. the design was new 3 years ago and frozen in time at that point, at least the hardware was. the hardware design moved on. look at other cell phone manufacturers, they come out with new designs every year and pretty much abandon last year's model. try and get firmware update for last year's motorola, samsung, sony-erricson phones. good luck! the fact that apple is offering anything at all in an update is a surprise in itself.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote