Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #166
ArchCarrier
ArchCarrier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
And, adding to that, I can't find the option anymore to pop up the status window when the status bar is disabled. I had to reformat my PB a couple of weeks ago and since then I lost this option.
ArchCarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #167
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have a request for the next update. When I read a book, I normally have the status bar off. But sometimes I want to check how many pages until the next chapter. So I toggle the table of contents on, which shows the page numbers for each chapter. Then I return to the book, and it shows what page I'm on. As long as I turn the status bar off before I turn the page, it doesn't recalculate the pages. If I don't go to the table of contents first, and just toggle the status bar on, it recalculates the number of pages before it shows which page I'm on.

I would like if I just toggle the status bar on, that it just shows the page I'm on, without recalculating the pages to allow for the status bar.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #168
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
I would like if I just toggle the status bar on, that it just shows the page I'm on, without recalculating the pages to allow for the status bar.
The reason it recalculates is because when you toggle the bar it takes up space on the page and it has to reformat the book.

What you want to do is to map a button to the hide panel option. (I use OK-long press). Then in FBReader180 you replace the status bar with the book information box: second page of "settings", first option; "disable status, show info instead". (I have it to show info until key pressed.) Under "advanced settings", you can choose what info to display in the info box; 10 yes or no settings.

The info box shows up on top of the current page so it doesn't displace the text and it only calculates the page count once. Every other time you call it up it already has a proper page count in percentage and xxx pages / yyy. Plus whatever other info you want.

I like it. It lets me read on a clean screen with decent margins and no distraction.

Hopes this helps.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #169
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for!
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #170
bukutas
fiendreader
bukutas began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
This is what works for me:

(1) Open FBReader Config Menu (with book open, bottom right corner of pop-up menu dialog)
(2) Go to 'Rotate' and press 'OK'
(3) Select menu item '180°+FAST prev/next page'
(4) Go to 'Page turn angle' and select your preference (I choose 20°)
(5) Exit Config menu ('back' button to return to book)
(6) Open FBReader menu and choose rotation settings (centre right of pop-up menu dialog)
(7) Press 'OK' - this will choose the centre 'ring' meaning the gyro sensing will be accepted.
(8) Wait until the book 'repaginates' - the status bar will show no page numbering and a book symbol with 3 dots (...) in the lower left corner - once done, the page numbering and % read bar will re-appear.
(9) Rotate the book and the pages should turn!

* To get it going, you may need to do an initial page turn with the buttons, then it should pick up your wrist turns - I don't always need this when I follow the above sequence.

** The app does have a habit of going to sleep after a while, requiring a further use of a button page turn to kick it off again. Also, I have an auto-keypad-lock time set, so after not using buttons for a while my keypad locks on me!... annoyinf but not life-threatening!...

Experiment a little with comfortable positions for holding the book, sensitivity of the turn angle, etc. to suit your needs. Apparently you can set a high turn angle to allow holding the book 'sideways' whilst lying on your side to read (see somewhere above) - I haven't tried this yet but intend to!
Blessings upon yr head, Orwell2k - the clue (for my reader - I currently still have 180d) was chosing the CENTRE ring of the Gyro sensor.
Am completely addicted to wrist turns, and was in despair until I read your posting!

Works for txt, doc, html.
No joy for Epub or Pdf.

Still a big improvement!
bukutas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 05:41 AM   #171
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
(6) Open FBReader menu and choose rotation settings (centre right of pop-up menu dialog)
(7) Press 'OK' - this will choose the centre 'ring' meaning the gyro sensing will be accepted.
When I open this menu option I get a blank box, no Ok, no anything!

What's the difference between all the page turn options ?
360, 180 etc ... ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #172
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
When I open this menu option I get a blank box, no Ok, no anything!

What's the difference between all the page turn options ?
360, 180 etc ... ?
When he says press OK, I think he means just press the white centre button, at least that's how I interpreted it and that's what I did.

The difference for the page turn options - 360 means it will rotate all the way around, every time you turn your reader. 180 means it will only flip to the opposite direction, so if you're reading in portrait orientation flipping it upside down will put it straight into portrait orientation again without flipping to landscape first.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #173
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

mmm, my thoughts too ... if I chose the 180, I don't get any switch ...

thanks - will have to investigate further ...
Old 08-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #174
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I've just noticed there is a new version of FBReader180, 0.9.3. The development wiki doesn't offer information about the novelties that it includes, so it's a matter of trying out and see what comes
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #175
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I've just noticed there is a new version of FBReader180, 0.9.3. The development wiki doesn't offer information about the novelties that it includes, so it's a matter of trying out and see what comes
Yep, graynm doesn't seem to believe in marketing.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #176
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
This version seems to have funny issues with font increasing and decreasing: I can't reach the lower font sizes even while setting the font change step to 1, which should make it go through each and every font size. For some reason I get stuck in size 19 and from there on I can't make it smaller. I'll keep reporting.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #177
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Yep, graynm doesn't seem to believe in marketing.
He could take some lessons from a few authors then

then again, perhaps he has !!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 02:44 AM   #178
GrayNM
flat square cat
GrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheese

Guys (and girls ) don't panic. The versions 0.9.2-ftxxx and 0.9.3-ftxxx are local test versions. They aren't marked as featured and aren't intended for common use.

They are the result of experiments with the last versions of FreeType library.
Primary to see what effect gives the enabling of TrueType bytecode interpreter.
But responses to this feature were at most negative, so I didn't move it to official version.
0.9.3 besides it contains another test feature - a bit correctly specified font size. That's why font become so large. But it still need further investigation too.

And what marketing are you talking about? I'm doing it just for fun.
GrayNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #179
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayNM View Post
Guys (and girls ) don't panic. The versions 0.9.2-ftxxx and 0.9.3-ftxxx are local test versions. They aren't marked as featured and aren't intended for common use.
I tried it anyway ;-)
No self-respecting hacker would pass up an opportunity to try out new version, especially if it is marked as unsuitable for general population.
I tried to increase the font size using up/down buttons and I managed to get font size to 2147483647 (0x7FFFFFFF).
After that, the program kept crashing. Even when I replaced it with working 0.9.2, it kept crashing, until I edited .../system/config/fbreader.cfg and set font sizes to sane values.

Please note, the above isn't a complaint, it is a bug report, a warning to other users and description of what said users can do when they ignore the warnings and the device keeps crashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayNM View Post
And what marketing are you talking about? I'm doing it just for fun.
programming is much more fun if you know that one cleverly placed bug can make tens of thousands devices crash .
This is why so many people want to work for Microsoft, or why Linux kernel contributors have such a high social status.

Last edited by kacir; 08-22-2010 at 10:35 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #180
GrayNM
flat square cat
GrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Please note, the above isn't a complaint, it is a bug report, a warning to other users and description of what said users can do when they ignore the warnings and the device keeps crashing.
Thank you. I know about this bug already but 0.9.3 is just a test version.

Quote:
programming is much more fun if you know that one cleverly placed bug can make tens of thousands devices crash .
Oh, you possibly choose the wrong address. Such bugs are the prerogative of Pocketbook.
With 15.3 my PB360 reboots every week.

Just4fun means that I didn't have any profit. And bugs have no relation with this at all.

Quote:
This is why so many people want to work for Microsoft, or why Linux kernel contributors have such a high social status.
I know why. I'm a C++ programmer for about 12 years.
GrayNM is offline   Reply With Quote