Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
Thanks! That video review was great! If the contrast on the 600 is similar with the Kindle 2 then that will make my decision a little easier.

Did you have a chance to spend a few hours reading on it? Any eyestrain?
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #17
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I started reading at 10:30pm after being on the computer all day (eyes already slightly crossed). That said, I read for 1.5 hours and didn't feel any eyestrain. I did notice that under quite dim (bedroom) lighting, the 600 benefits from a book light more than the 505-- heightens the contrast. Of course, if my grandma were still alive, she'd be yelling at me for reading a pbook in that kind of poor lighting .

The background gray level is similar to the Kindle 2, though the K2 has a bit more contrast. The touch screen layer is well done, but it's still there-- it can never look *exactly* the same as an eInk reader that lacks touch.

Last edited by MobileTechReview; 08-26-2009 at 11:36 AM.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #18
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
Thanks!
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #19
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: who knows?
Hi,

Many thanks for the vid.

Does ePub files show properly? Using the factory, or the just updated firmware? I mean, does it show really as in the original, and as in the Library v3.0 for computers, with previous ADE Mobile details and bugs fixed, like being text justified as in original, avoid the extra space for page and numbers, and so on (even the footnote links and the go to link/back procedure works now in eBook Library v3)...

(Does the 'info' or 'about' in reader show any info about the software or ADE versions, other than firmware?)

I like a lot the PDF move and 'zoom in' feature using the stylus. Very useful if Sony finally comes up with a real and big reader, which seems not, surprisingly, the case after announcing Daily Edition. Can be reflow (I suppose, it -does- reflow) turned on and off, or it's always forced?

Some more questions, sorry:

- Does battery finally is user-replaceable?
- Can be powered off totally? Like previous PRS, using a provided soft/menu option, or maybe the external switch.

Thanks! Regards!

Last edited by jotas; 08-26-2009 at 03:39 PM.
jotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #20
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Can someone tell me what "EPub" is in terms of format and what it does on these devices. Also, how does PDF behave?
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #21
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
Can someone tell me what "EPub" is in terms of format and what it does on these devices. Also, how does PDF behave?
As far as format, I'm not exactly sure. I DO know EPub is a wider standard than Sony's proprietary BBeB format. Although it still has Digital Rights attached, it allows the opportunity to aquire books from sources other than Sony.

PDF behaves GREAT, nice quick page turns, ability to zoom in and pan, definitely a HUGE highlight on this device.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #22
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Epub is simply a more open format than the proprietary lrf/lrx that is currently the primary format on sony readers.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EPUB
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #23
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
relatively short answer :

epub is the new industry standard ebook format. it's based on xhtml and css and is an open format (drm aside). it's an open format, being defined by a workgroup called the idpf (international digital publishing forum).

since it is not a proprietary format, it is compatible with many different brands of devices, including sony, the new bookeen opus, the hanlin readers (eco reader, bebook, etc.) and more to come.

in europe, almost all publishers are standardising on this format, which means you can buy whatever device you like, and then shop at whatever bookstore you like, without having to convert the format. more and more american publishers are also moving to epub, although amazon still uses their own proprietary format which is not compatible (but you can't buy their books without a kindle or iphone app). many libraries also offer epub with adobe drm, those books can be read on any device with adobe drm support.

you can also create an epub book yourself, from any text ; take a look at sigil, the epub editor created by mr member valloric (it has its own forum here). calibre can also convert most other (drm-free) formats to epub. you can learn more about the format in our epub forum. and take a look in our epub ebooks upload forum to see some truly stunning epub books, notably the ones made by jellby, which are a real pleasure to read.

edit : or, as crowl posted, take a look in the wiki.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #24
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Can you check if the Epub render of the 600 has the same 300k per flow limitation of the previous models? I just posted a book for you to try out if you can

I downloaded a mobi ebook from feedbooks and just converted it with calibre. I increased the 260k split in calibre to 1024k. Its just a quick and dirty convertion so dont blame either feedbooks or calibre on any errors or ugly looking formatting.
Attached Files
File Type: epub David Copperfield - Dickens_ Charles.epub (796.4 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by Catire; 08-26-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #25
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Thanks for the info folks!
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #26
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One more question. I remember seeing a video review of the 700 and I believe if you tap the screen and then hold it down, the pages flip through like flipping through a paperback book and no flickering of the screen at all. Does the 600 maintain this feature?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #27
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
Yes, I've used Evernote. The handwritten note graphic looks pretty illegible to me, even when zooming/stretching. But I'll play with it more tomorrow.

The text portions of the RTF are basically the highlighted or underline portions of the text itself (not one's handwritten notes) with a date and time assigned. The top of the note contains the book title and author. But again, I'll play with that more tomorrow.
i missed this post yesterday somehow but thanks for that info, it's precisely what i was wondering about !! excellent news. exporting notes is a feature i was missing on my 700 and that's just how i would have wanted it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #28
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
The text portions of the RTF are basically the highlighted or underline portions of the text itself (not one's handwritten notes) with a date and time assigned. The top of the note contains the book title and author. But again, I'll play with that more tomorrow.
Could you post here as an attached file a RTF note? With some text highlighted / Underlined and also some handwritten note, to see what the exported images looks like.

I don't know if it already have been mentioned, but is it possible to use the notes features will all the formats, especially with PDF?
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Does the dictionary lookup work with all formats or is it limited to LRF/LRX?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #30
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Does the dictionary lookup work with all formats or is it limited to LRF/LRX?
I would imagine the dictionary lookup would lookup in ePub files since Sony announced that they will be dropping the LRX/LRF format in the future and going with ePub. Don't know if the dictionary will work with LRF or PDF files though.

Can one of you early purchasers check this out?

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote