Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #31
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Interesting idea.... I have to say, even with the emergence of a few new readers since I got got my 505 this past November (and have, literally, read at least a hundred books on it thus far), I don't see any readers out there that tempt me at all. In fact, in looking at the summer ebook giveaway, I declined to even enter because I had no desire for another reader, and couldn't think of anyone super deserving and desiring to gift one to (other than those mentioned and requested on that thread!). I am very happy with my sweet little fit-into-my-purse reader. I mean, slightly quicker page turns/response would be nice, but that's about the only major improvement I can think of (since I'm guessing an ereader that can do laundry, clean house/dishes, cook food, and take care of my kids is a little while off in the future... perhaps the Sony model DE-1000000000)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #32
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
505 is a decent piece of hardware, and nothing that I've seen so far will tempt me to upgrade in the foreseeable future. The size of 505 is "just right" for me, I have no idea what would I do with Wi-Fi on an e-ink device.

Now, I do have quite a few wishes when it comes to the software, especially the Adobe part of it...
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #33
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
It certainly seems like a new model is coming out with the price dropping to $199 at Borders and 179GBP + 10GBP voucher from WH Smiths in the UK.
Wonder what is going to happen to the PRS700 or is it going to replace the PRS505?
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
It certainly seems like a new model is coming out with the price dropping to $199 at Borders and 179GBP + 10GBP voucher from WH Smiths in the UK.
Wonder what is going to happen to the PRS700 or is it going to replace the PRS505?
Another possibility for the UK price reduction is the recent very strong gain in the value of the Pound against the US$. Sony have adjusted the UK price several times in the past in order to reflect exchange rate variations.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Interesting idea.... I have to say, even with the emergence of a few new readers since I got got my 505 this past November (and have, literally, read at least a hundred books on it thus far), I don't see any readers out there that tempt me at all. In fact, in looking at the summer ebook giveaway, I declined to even enter because I had no desire for another reader, and couldn't think of anyone super deserving and desiring to gift one to (other than those mentioned and requested on that thread!). I am very happy with my sweet little fit-into-my-purse reader. I mean, slightly quicker page turns/response would be nice, but that's about the only major improvement I can think of (since I'm guessing an ereader that can do laundry, clean house/dishes, cook food, and take care of my kids is a little while off in the future... perhaps the Sony model DE-1000000000)
The only reason I've entered the giveaway is for my wife so she can get a new reader. Me, I'm fine with my 505 until maybe a larger screen device comes out that I'm satisfied with that I could afford. Right now, the DX doesn't suite me and the iRex is too expensive. But my 505 will keep me happily reading eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #36
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
All I can say is a 9.7" Sony Reader is an automatic sale for me.
For me, it is a possible sale. What holds me back from saying it is a definite sale is the promise of the Plastic Logic device that is supposed to be out early in 2010. In any event, I won't rush to get a larger device. I'd prefer to let some of my MR colleagues enjoy the experience of being among the first so I can enjoy (and take advantage of) their experience via their reviews here on MR.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If a larger screen Sony does come out, I will be talking a trip to the local SonyStyle to have a look.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #38
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Of course Sony is coming out with a new reader-because I'm on the verge of committing to buying one. This is exactly what I predicted in my "Is it even a good time to be buying an e-reader" thread. I'll pick one up and *poof* Sony will announce a new one that is the same dimensions but comes with a larger screen and has e-ink device that is so awesome that there's no flash!
I hear what you're saying... but if I were you, i'd buy one. Now.

I'm not just saying that, I received my blue beauty 3 weeks ago after not even seeing or touching one for real before taking the plunge.

It is lovely. It is excellent.

A slightly larger screen in the same physical sized reader (maybe could get 7" or 7 1/2" diagonal with only a few extra mm) would be nice.... but can't help feeling that 9.7" is going too far (for me to use for reading books). For big PDF's and manuals, fine and wonderful - but i don't want to be toting what is close to an A4 pad around with me.

And the flash is not a problem. I was worried about that, but it's no worse than the physical labour involved in turning a page

The red one looks kind of cool, too.

And use Calibre!

Coops
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #39
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I would like to see what Sony has to offer in 5" category.

I have PRS-500 and the only thing I really dislike is shiny Sony logo at the top bezel.
Metal case, cover that is in *surprisingly* good condition after three years of daily usage.

The software (I am NOT talking about Sony Library for windows here!) is very well done. I only had to (hard) reset it twice. See my post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...056#post172056

A combination of 5" device for fiction reading and 10" device for manuals, technical documents, complicated pdfs would be Ab-So-Lu-Te-Ly perfect.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #40
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I would like to see what Sony has to offer in 5" category.
me too. I hope they will make it someday...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #41
tmac
tmac began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650
I am in total agreement with you, kacir. My PRS-500 has been slowing down and acting a little temperamental (I think the unexpected bath was the final straw), so I'm debating between the 505 and the 700. She's been great for almost two years, though.

Also having a 10" device for reading tech books would be beyond wonderful.
tmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #42
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I love my 505, couldn't leave home without it. When the sale was going on at Borders I went and bought a second one for me (in case something happes to mine) and one for my friend in Las Vegas, who had never heard of one.

It's weird tho, because I'm an avid reader (or like to think of myself as one) and I didn't even hear about ereaders until I "stumbled" across the Kindle on Amazon. If you can call having it thown in your face every day you went on Amazon "stumbling"... but anyways, once I saw the Kindle I started searching for ereaders and eventually found my beautiful blue baby.

What type of advertising do they (Sony) supply to the public? Maybe the 700 had so many complaints that it flopped and they are trying to make up the difference with a new reader? I think it would suck if I just bought my 505 (March of this year) and only had a year or 2 to enjoy it before it became outdated. I dunno-just wondering
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:45 AM   #43
Tuna
Zealot
Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-ER
I've just bought a shiny new (silver!) 505 here in the Uk, taking the benefit of the recent price cuts (now £150 at play.com). There is almost certainly going to be a new model launched later this year - at least that would explain the sudden price revision - which fits the typical renewal cycle for Sony devices.

However, that didn't stop me buying, because I suspect any new model is likely to be back up at the £300 price mark as they add in new features. Having had my machine for a few days, the best upgrade I could imagine would be to increase the screen size to something like 7.5" without significantly increasing the overall physical size of the machine. That would be enough to make PDFs and reference documents much more manageable. If they made the bezel as narrow as possible (and perhaps made the screen flush with the front surface so there's nowhere for dust and dirt to accumulate) they could usefully increase screen size without ending up with an enormous slab.

The rest of the 505 hardware is pretty good - the control layout works really well - but there's room for improvement in the UI, particularly management of books and flexibility of the rendering (font sizes, and an annoying habit of some formatted text scrolling off the side of the page and being impossible to view). A speed boost wouldn't hurt, but I'm certainly not missing touch screen, wireless access or anything like that. Before they add bells and whistles, I'd rather Sony work to make the pure reading experience as natural and convenient as possible. In that respect, ebooks have a while to go.

So, I'm sure the 505 will be out of date shortly, but that won't stop my new purchase from being a very useful device that's a real pleasure to use.
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #44
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
I have been using a Sony-505 for well over a year - and added a Kindle-2 the day it came out - love them both. They work fine and dandy for me, and I have no great desire to upgrade for a few new features or larger size. At some point several years down the line when their batteries die and need to be sent out to be replaced, I might instead opt for a new eReader if it had the larger screen, color, WiFi, touch screen, massive memory, folders, dictionary, Internet/Wikipaedia, search, highlight, annotate, huge on-line bookstore reasonably priced, etc- all for under $500. But until then the goal is reading, and reading is going fine and dandy with the two devices we have in the family.

Bob
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:11 AM   #45
memobug
Connoisseur
memobug began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-505/Kindle DX/iPhone 3G
I keep a 505 by the bedside loaded up with short fiction like Hemingway to fall asleep to. It hurts a lot less dropping on your face than the Kindle DX, I have found!
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote