Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Babak_Vandad
Babak_Vandad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
eBook distribution servers

Hi,
I've recently bought a Sony Reader PRS700; so I'm new to this stuff and I don't know whether I'm placing my question in right place or not.

I got some ebooks from Sony Book Store. And wondered how is this mechanism of authorizing an ebook reader by a website ?

I've used Adobe Digital Editions and read something about Adobe Content Server 4 . Is there any way to sell and distribute ebooks securely without using Content Server for Digital Editions and Sony Reader users ?

Any information would be helpful

Babak Vandad
Babak_Vandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
I think the link below should be able to clearify your query.

"Adobe® Content Server 4 software is a robust server solution that digitally protects PDF and reflowable EPUB eBooks for Adobe Digital Editions software and supported mobile devices, including the Sony® Reader Digital Book. Easy to integrate into existing systems using industry-standard technologies, Content Server 4 allows you to host and manage eBooks on your existing infrastructure. Content Server even supports lending libraries and third-party resellers."

There are also FAQs and product datasheets available too
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Babak_Vandad

well, thank you for your reply, but I asked if there is any way to distribute ebooks securely for DE and SonyReader, "without" Content Server. Is there any other platforms ? Are there any APIs for dealing with SonyReader or so ?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Please do not violate copyright laws. Piracy makes ebook owning seem dirty.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Babak_Vandad

wow! I'm just trying to find a way to sell ebooks in a secure way! And the problem is that I can not afford $6500 for Content Server. So I'm looking for other softwares which may do this task with lower costs. Or whether there is any API which I can use to develop my own server side.

Am I a pirate ?! Am I braking any laws ?!

Anyway, does any body know how these mechanisms work ?
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
maybe you can tell us more about what exactly you want to do. are you a publisher ? are you trying to launch a bookselling site ? what kind of books do you want to sell ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Babak,

I know this doesn't answer your question, but have you considered distributing your content without using DRM? If you do some research you will see that pretty much every DRM scheme has a tool to remove it, Adobe DRM included.

Please see the several threads with us and other publishers authors on why DRM only affects and annoys your paying customers.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The only way I can think of that you can sell DRM'd epub or PDF books (if you must), besides using your own content server would be though a distributor that handles those formats for you. Like Over Drive (aka Content Serve).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
Babak_Vandad

Zelda, yes; I want to publish some ebooks for a small group of people.

AnemicOak, I read about Over Drive; Their "Private Reserve" service is suitable for me. But I do not know the prices and tariffs. and am waiting them to answer my e-mail on this issue.

I also got the DE Launcher SDK by Adobe. It seems that I have to build an ebx.etd file which is an XML file format. But where can I find more information on the schema that it uses and on the "fulfill url" .

I know I'm so ignorant and new to this context. It's just two days that I'm reading about these stuffs.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
If you want to use Adobe's DRM on either ePub or PDF, you're going to have to use their software/service. There does not appear to be a personal DRM scheme supported by Adobe Digital Editions (which is what powers the ePub and PDF handling of the Sony PRS-505/700). You can find out more about ADEPT at http://www.adobe.com/products/adept/.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
content server, digital editions, hosting