Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Vulcan
Vulcan began at the beginning.

Device: Current - iPad2 Retired - Sony PRS700
File Names

What is the best way to name files for the Sony E Reader 700?

Author, Title, Series? Do you just create a folder for each E Book and label the folder with the books name? I am just trying to get setup...
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:00 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
i only put on books im actually gonna read, so right now i have 49 books on my Ereader synced through sonys library (read 15 of them so far, and i was deleting the ones i finished off the reader, but my girlfriend wanted to browse the books actually have. so its at 49 again, it was less than 20, then ive been on a conversion spring the last 2 days, and made over 15 lrfs+the 20 i had on it already + the 15 i deleted beforhand but have readded)

all my books are just (title).lrf

I used the library software for file handling as its clean and quick.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 05:43 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
The books should have the information in the appropriate places when the conversion to LRF format takes place, but not all of them have that in the proper place. The ebook files which aren't properly created that way will display on the Reader by the filename only. So what I do when I download any files is to rename them with author's last name followed by two hyphens and then the book's title.

Tey -- The Franchise Affair for example.

Thus, if the information is properly entered when the conversion is made, the book will display by title or author, depending on your sort method. But if the information isn't in the proper place inside the file, it will still display in a meaningful easy to find (for me, anyway) manner.

For people creating the LRF files, I would urge you to do whatever Calibre does and enter the proper sort information with author's last name, first name. It bothers me when the Reader sorts by Author and a third of the books by a single author will sort under W (for example): Wilkie Collins another third will sort under C: Collins, Wilkie, and the final third will display with no author shown because none was entered properly in the conversion but thanks to my renaming of the files they will display as Collins -- [title].

It's a mess, but I don't complain because of all this great library of wonderful reading material that others are creating and that I am downloading for free.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
What is the best way to name files for the Sony E Reader 700?

Author, Title, Series? Do you just create a folder for each E Book and label the folder with the books name? I am just trying to get setup...
The crucial thing is to have the right metadata in the files. Calibre does a great job for lrf/epub, while for PDF's you need to use a pdf program that allows you to edit the metadata, using right click - document properties

Once you import then into the Sony software/library, the name/location of the file is irrelevant as long as you do not delete them.

I tend to keep all lrf/pdf's for 700 in one folder, with some in their own folders author based, some not - I made Calibre book directory same so Calibre automatically copies the books there and then I import them to Sony library, and later to the 700, though on the 700 I keep maybe 200 books that I am interested/potentially interested now, while in the Sony library I have quite a few more books

Regarding naming convention - I tend to do Author last name, first name, Title complete, in the metadata, while the files themselves I let Calibre name for the lrf's at least
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
Vulcan
Vulcan began at the beginning.

Device: Current - iPad2 Retired - Sony PRS700
Thanks for the tips.....I just received my 700 this morning.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert