Old 04-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
Rouge One
Enthusiast
Rouge One began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic
I have a question about Calibre Server

It says under Preferences and under Sharing over net and it says this:
If you wish to run the server as Standalone entity please refer to the:
Command-line documentation and I looked at that but I couldn't figure out what to do there.
Does anybody have step by step instructions on how to do this or an YouTube video on how to do this also
Rouge One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Rouge One - if you think you need a video then you're probably over-thinking it. To get started the only options for the calibre-server command you need worry about are --port and --with-library

Which operation system do you use - Linux, OSX or Windows?

On Windows a simple starting point would be something like this
  • WindowsKey+R and enter something like
  • Code:
    calibre-server --port 8082 --with-library "D:\Calibre Libraries\_Main"
  • Then in a browser URL bar enter something like
  • Code:
    http://127.0.0.1:8082/
  • The 127.0.0.1 is the IP address of the machine you're running the server on, I would use the machine name rather than the IP address, because its less likely to change.
  • Save that calibre server page in a bookmark/favourite, naming it something "Main Calibre Library"
If that works for you put the calibre-server command in a .bat file, and save it somewhere - e.g. in a Bat Files folder you can access from your desktop.

If you use OSX you need to read the note at the top of ==>> Command Line Interface

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2017, 05:00 PM   #3
Rouge One
Enthusiast

I am using Windows 10 and video usually show you step by step instructions on how to do what you are trying to do and I don't see that IP address on the computer I am using and I even looked in ipconfig and I don't know how you put something in a .bat file
Old 04-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a simple way to find the machines IP address in calibre

On the machine where you want to run the server, start the server from Preferences->Sharing over The Internet, then press Test server, the machines IP address will be in your browsers URL bar as something like http://127.0.0.1:8080/

To create a bat file, start Notepad, type the commands (each command should be on a new line), and save the file as <something>.bat.

Why don't you just run the server from within the calibre GUI?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-24-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
you want to know your machines current IP
Open a command prompt:
Code:
ipconfig -all
The 'adapter' will probably be the one with Default Gateway entry
Mine is under Local Area Connection
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
Rouge One
Enthusiast

I wanted to run the sever all the time even if Calibre is not open
Old 04-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouge One View Post
Good oh, that's reasonable.

Have you got it going now?

BR
Old 04-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Then take a look at this:

How to Run Calibre Server 24/7 as a Windows Service with AlwaysUp

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:49 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
I think we ought tell the OP (and others) that Always Up costs $35-50.

All most people want is to not have the console task(s) sitting in the taskbar.

RBTray can do that for nothing, with no installing, and no configuring, just put a shortcut to the exe in start up. You can then right click the minimise button of most non-Metro applications to send it to the tray. And its open source, code is included in the download.

BR
Old 04-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #10
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I think we ought tell the OP (and others) that Always Up costs $35-50.

All most people want is to not have the console task(s) sitting in the taskbar.

RBTray can do that for nothing, with no installing, and no configuring, just put a shortcut to the exe in start up. You can then right click the minimise button of most non-Metro applications to send it to the tray. And its open source, code is included in the download.

BR
That is the low cost option but he want a step by step way, I got the impression that he did not want to fool with bat files and non GUI solutions.

I also found this which works with windows 10.

bernie
Old 04-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #11
Rouge One
Enthusiast

Is there another way to do this without having to pay 49.99 for a subscription for Always Up
Old 04-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #12
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
Is there another way to do this without having to pay 49.99 for a subscription for Always Up
Not as easy as the always up but should work.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=116256&page=2

https://www.howtogeek.com/105270/fro...menu-tweaking/

bernie
Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Yes, if you need a non-stop fail-safe solution.

But given you started out by asking of there was a Youtube video on how to run a single server task, I seriously doubt you need such a solution.

BR
Old 04-26-2017, 09:59 PM   #14
Rouge One
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Yes, if you need a non-stop fail-safe solution.

But given you started out by asking of there was a Youtube video on how to run a single server task, I seriously doubt you need such a solution.

BR
I asked for a YouTube video because I have never done anything with a server at all and I have no clue what I am doing with the server either
Old 04-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #15
Rouge One
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
I am having a problem I can't install Winserv and for some reason it brings up as Kodi and when I went to unzip it in Winrar it gave me error messages