Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is another article we can toss out. When you get an article on eBook readers (brand doesn't matter) and a comparison to Apple, then the article is trash and the author should be fired.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #17
seamusfp
Enthusiast
seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Where?
http://www.newsweek.com/id/70983/output/print

"Though Bezos is reluctant to make the comparison, Amazon believes it has created the iPod of reading"
seamusfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #18
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Thanks, seamusfp, that pretty much demonstrates that Bezos did not compare the Kindle to the iPod, the author of the article did.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusfp View Post
http://www.newsweek.com/id/70983/output/print

"Though Bezos is reluctant to make the comparison, Amazon believes it has created the iPod of reading"
It doesn't say Bezos actually said that, it's not even a quote but a statement. It may have come from the article writer Jeff Levy. So I blame Jeff Levy for starting the comparisons.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #20
seamusfp
Enthusiast
seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It doesn't say Bezos actually said that, it's not even a quote but a statement. It may have come from the article writer Jeff Levy. So I blame Jeff Levy for starting the comparisons.
That's fair enough, my memory from the initial hype was that Bezos had put that out there, but you are correct it looks to be a notion brought up by the author and merely confirmed as something Amazon would hope for.
seamusfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #21
exreader
exanimate ex post facto
exreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMc View Post
If they would let customers download their books for other readers besides the Kindles, they might sell a lot more.

I'm not going to buy their $400 device just so I can buy my eBooks at Amazon. I already have a reader, thank you.
actually, the kind is now $259, for a limited time only, with their special offer.

enjoy your reader

exreader
exreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:19 AM   #22
gkbeer
Enthusiast
gkbeer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch,
Quote:
Originally Posted by exreader View Post
actually, the kind is now $259, for a limited time only, with their special offer.

enjoy your reader

exreader
That special offer being the application for and acceptance of an Amazon branded Visa Card.
gkbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:34 AM   #23
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
And I hope you are enjoying your reader as much as I am enjoying my Kindle.
> However, I think you are missing the point.

No, I think you are missing the point. The thread was about the fact that Amazon eBook sales (not the kindle device, the ebooks it reads) aren't all selling all that hot. They would sell a lot more if they let people with other readers have access to those books too. They don't.

> Amazon isn't trying to corner the market, I think they realize there are many different book readers out there.

Then why don't they let the rest of us just download the books, in mobi format?

To think that the largest bookseller tells me I have to go elsewhere to buy my books because I didn't buy THEIR device is just idiotic.
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:20 AM   #24
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
The thread was about the fact that Amazon eBook sales (not the kindle device, the ebooks it reads) aren't all selling all that hot.
I agree with everything you said, ThomasMc. Except for the statement that Amazon eBook sales aren't selling that hot.

That is a matter of conjecture, and relative. It is not a known fact.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:47 AM   #25
Toshanda
Toshanda doesn't litterToshanda doesn't litter

Device: Palm Treo 680
Exclamation

One thing to consider: their market ( be it a reason or an outcome ) places, or the only country in the world, where Amazon is selling the Kindle.
I am looking into buying (decided on Sony, need wife's approval) e-Reader, I cannot go to a store and get a Kindle (I live in Canada and I know there is a way but it shouldn't be that hard to buy a book ), that means I cannot just log onto Amazon book site and buy a book.
I am guessing that their marketing ploy works when it comes to catering to a limited clientele. It is like Ipod folks deciding to limit first batch of mp3 players to, lets say, Zimbabwe, and you can download music only in one village - everywhere else you have to order a CD to copy.
So the comparability does not really work in this particular case.
Toshanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:18 AM   #26
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Don't get me wrong, I get plenty of laughs from the old Reg, but I don't take anything it says seriously.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:08 AM   #27
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMc View Post
Then why don't they let the rest of us just download the books, in mobi format?
Mobipocket (owned by Amazon as you likely know) has a deal with bookstores that sell .mobi books that they will not undercut their prices. If you want a .mobi book, you can go to other stores to buy them. If you want to buy a .mobi book through Amazon (mobipocket.com), be prepared to pay the highest price. If Amazon offered best sellers in .mobi for $9.99 I'm sure they'd find themselves in court pretty quickly.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #28
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Don't get me wrong, I get plenty of laughs from the old Reg, but I don't take anything it says seriously.
To me, this article was surprisingly balanced; they mentioned sources for all information they have and did not throw uncorfirmed numbers around. A nice change from all the hype before.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #29
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
To me, this article was surprisingly balanced; they mentioned sources for all information they have and did not throw uncorfirmed numbers around. A nice change from all the hype before.
The information was mostly factual for the numbers (although it mentions two anonymous book publishers) but the tone of the article was typical Reg.

See also:
"Amazon's $399 folly, no wait, book reader"
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11..._reader_folly/
and
"Kindle ain't no e-book reader"
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...le_whispernet/

I must add that as a young sysadmin I used to get a chuckle from the Reg's "Bastard Operator from Hell" series.

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-27-2008 at 08:46 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #30
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Oh, I don't mind the tone. I read El Reg quite a lot.
Looking forward to their take on the Reader when it's out in UK
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!