Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-10-2015, 02:47 AM   #46
webroot
Zealot
webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I do not get what difference it would make. I would have thought that the screen and the CPU was the factors that limited what you can do. Can you give an example of something you cannot program with 500M ram but you can program it with 1G ram?
that is a widely spread myth about RAM, if the RAM is below threshold then it does have adverse impact on speed. Most modern software are so big that they heavily rely on caching take the example of linux FontConfig package, glyphs uncompressed ahead of time , a 256 mb ram hardly leaves any scope for cache. Screen:- yes I have added this in OP if screen is limiting factor, then it leaves no room for regular innovation,

My original question was, why it can't be made? and some have answered why it shouldn't be made? But I admit there is some material in second logic too

Last edited by webroot; 07-10-2015 at 03:01 AM.
webroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:07 AM   #47
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by webroot View Post
that is a widely spread myth about RAM, if the RAM is below threshold then it does have adverse impact on speed. Most modern software are so big that they heavily rely on caching take the example of linux FontConfig package, glyphs uncompressed ahead of time , a 256 mb ram hardly leaves any scope for cache.
So store the glyphs on the SD card.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2015, 05:30 AM   #48
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I have one message:- any form of reading is ultimately same action, whether you are reading a chapter in literature or online articles, I may read 10 articles in a stretch, the word count is going to be the same, eyes will suffer the same.
You seem to be deaf to the fact several people mentioned already. Web articles dont make money to Amazon, Kobo or whoever is making an ereader. Ebooks do.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #49
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
I am not commenting on other items. But I have one message:- any form of reading is ultimately same action, whether you are reading a chapter in literature or online articles, I may read 10 articles in a stretch, the word count is going to be the same, eyes will suffer the same.

But I understand that overall bookworms tends to eat more text per day than average web surfer will do. So you are correct that market demand is well below, but did I say anywhere, such new innovation have to be made available for cheap? iPhone is not cheap, Yotaphone has tried for whatever high price would fit to their business, i didn't buy it because overall this wasn't workable for me.

Other thing is market demand may not always be predetermined, it is often seen you generate market demand by rolling out new innovative products. For whatever reasons eink leaders were slow on innovation and that further curtailed demand, a cyclic chain.

that would make it just like reading eBooks, Mostly I am not reading for pleasure but it is like adventurous reading, I browse for interesting pieces or shared experience or maybe some research related stuff, I wouldn't know in advance where to find them.
So, as you find an article, use the Send to Kindle app or the Pocket app--it literally takes seconds if you have wifi turned on your device. Click the icon on the browser toolbar, then pick up the ereader and read the article. Simple as that.

Shari

Last edited by shalym; 07-10-2015 at 09:53 AM.
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:48 AM   #50
webroot
Zealot
webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
You seem to be deaf to the fact several people mentioned already. Web articles dont make money to Amazon, Kobo or whoever is making an ereader. Ebooks do.
Can you enlighten us how many ebooks you bought last year from Amazon, guess you are one of the above average reader i will draw my references from there, then some math of kindle profit. (just an example below)

Example:
2 books per month per kindle, average title price 5 USD, amazon's cut 30%, then deduct operational cost, and and maybe kindle fund received < 1 usd each month. assuming that useful life of kindle perhaps 3 years.
Advert
Old 07-13-2015, 01:54 AM   #51
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Multiply that by five times as many books per customer, which *may* not be representative, but is at least representative of the type of people who hang out here and by millions and millions of customers.
It's called Economies of scale, and it is why businesses bother to exist in the first place.

Your pessimism depresses me.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:55 AM   #52
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

I regularly buy books that are 9.99$ and sometimes above for new titles. I read 3-5 books a month, sometimes less, sometimes more, but I don't buy only what I will read that month.

And trust me when I say that compared to the majority of the people on mobile read I read "light".

You are not a reader so I get that you don't get it. But you are being quite obstinate in realizing that majority of people who own ereaders are book readers. Majority of them buy books and they are responsible for Kobo and Amazon making money on their ereaders.

You can stomp your feet all you want and proclaim that web article reading is the same as book reading, but we all know it isn't. Not from the money perspective, not from the content perspective.

Ereaders exist to sell ebooks. Enough said.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #53
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You only read an average of 4 books a month?!?!?! I can never understand how it takes some people a whole week to read just a single book.

Yep, a humongous number of people here (like me) can easily read 20-30 books a month. Those books do need to come from somewhere.

Considering ereaders are sold at cost, not below, ebook sales are money. So really, a lot of people each buying a few books is just as profitable for Amazon as fewer people buying more books. But either way, there are definitely people who buy more books.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #54
webroot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You only read an average of 4 books a month?!?!?! I can never understand how it takes some people a whole week to read just a single book.
Yep, a humongous number of people here (like me) can easily read 20-30 books a month. Those books do need to come from somewhere.

Considering ereaders are sold at cost, not below, ebook sales are money. So really, a lot of people each buying a few books is just as profitable for Amazon as fewer people buying more books. But either way, there are definitely people who buy more books.
How much ebooks you read depends on how much free time you got, in todays fast moving mechanical world, i doubt anyone has that much time, remember what did steve jobs said?

Last edited by webroot; 07-13-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:48 PM   #55
webroot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
You are not a reader ...Enough said.
just a minor correction I am no "non reader". i read books but i look for information and value, pure fiction is not my cuppa tea, for entertainment i turn on tv or social media, everyone has their own poison.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:52 AM   #56
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
How much ebooks you read depends on how much free time you got, in todays fast moving mechanical world, i doubt anyone has that much time, remember what did steve jobs said?
My opinions on Steve Jobs can best be described by the exorcism kit I am bringing out now I saw his name.

Anyway... there is always time to spare to read a few book here and there. And to the true lover of books, if there isn't time then you need to make time.

Once again, you might be surprised what some people value as priorities. And how much of the time spent doing $whatever could be re-prioritized if one so desired.
It really is all about priorities.

Quote:
just a minor correction I am no "non reader". i read books but i look for information and value, pure fiction is not my cuppa tea, for entertainment i turn on tv or social media, everyone has their own poison.
It is usually understood that "reader" == "someone who reads books for pleasure".

And there you go -- your priorities. Even in this fast-moving world just cut the cord and read a book. Assuming you want to, which not everyone is required to. But you see that it isn't really a question of "free time".
Old 07-14-2015, 02:17 AM   #57
Geralt
Witcher

Quote:

Yep, a humongous number of people here (like me) can easily read 20-30 books a month.
Maybe because I read fantasy mainly and a lot of it is epic fantasy. And those books are more times than not +700 pages. The longest book I've read this year for example was 1200 pages long (Memories of Ice (The Malazan Book of the Fallen #3) by Steven Erikson).
That's like 4 average books right there if you read romance, crime or chick lit.

But of course there are people out there who are book devourers . I'm not one of you guys.

Quote:
for entertainment i turn on tv or social media, everyone has their own poison.
Ugh, no offence but social media? That is pure poison. How can you get entertainment from that is beyond me.

Quote:
And there you go -- your priorities. Even in this fast-moving world just cut the cord and read a book. Assuming you want to, which not everyone is required to. But you see that it isn't really a question of "free time".
I agree. It's all about the time management. If I have 10-15 min off, I'll crack open my kindle, not my smartphone. If I'm waiting in line for something I'll do the same. If I'm using trains, trams or bus, I'll do the same. If I'm jogging, shopping, cleaning I'll put my audiobook on. All of those things are not free time, but I still read during them.

If I waited for free time, I probably wouldn't read at all.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #58
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

But I must confess that a 1200-page book would take even me a couple days. That's like 12 hours of reading -- I can't cram that into just one day...
Old 07-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #59
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Voracious reader checking in. How many books varies by the week.
I want my e-ink to be light and easy to read in the sun. I have used the browser a time or two. Oh and I am using an older model basic to read on.
If I want the internet, I will use my tablet or a computer. If I just want quick info, I use my phone when out.
I don't need all my devices to do everything.
Oh and it actually depends on the book what I read it on. Cookbooks, I prefer my computer or paper. General books my ereader. Picture intense books either my computer or Fire. Craft books especially cross stitch, paper please.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:55 AM   #60
Geralt
Witcher

Quote:
That's like 12 hours of reading -- I can't cram that into just one day...
So you read 100 pages an hour? Well I read 35-40.

Now you can
Quote:
understand how it takes some people a whole week to read just a single book.

Tags
eink