Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
mahal48
Connoisseur
mahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Glo, Nexus 7(2013)
Shelves

The duplicate shelves problem has been going on for ages. Most people know it is a problem on the Kobo servers. Members on here have worked out how to solve this with a database edit. So why, oh, why, are Kobo still unable to solve the problem????

Kobo solutions are the usual factory reset!! Done it doesn't work. Tell them that and they still say factory reset.

Does Kobo ever listen? Do they deviate from the CS script?
Do the even read these forums?

If I get told to do a factory reset again, after I have told them I have tried this....
One I am going to scream....
Second I am off to Kindle.
Will Kobo ever listen.

Probably not.
mahal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo have fixed the problem in the past. It happened late last year or early this year. Kobo fixed the code running on the servers but needed some information from the users before they could fix the actual shelves. In my case, they had to remove all the shelves from the server to fix them.

This occurrence is seems to be different. The last time, there was nothing I could do to fix it on my device. A sync would just bring it back. Now, as you mentioned, you can play with the database and clean it up. And then a sync will clean things up. That seems to be working here. Though it has happened a second time but after a month or so. Also, the shelves aren't actually duplicating. They are rising from the dead. From the timestamps involved, it is actually shelves that have been deleted and are now coming back.

In any case, Kobo do know about the problem. It has been directly reported to them. It has been indirectly through other places and Kobo people do read this forum. But, they don't participate nowadays.

Also, I took the "opportunity" of having the duplicated shelves to add a function to my Kobo Utilities plugin for calibre. This will update the database to clear the duplicate shelve. I should be releasing the it later today.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
mahal48
Connoisseur
mahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic something

Thanks for the info. Look forward to the updated plugin.
Strange you mentioned the resurrected shelves problem, my sister has experienced that on her Kobo.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I look forward to this updated plugin as well. Thank-you, davidfor for all your blood, sweat and tears.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I'll be waiting for the update of the plugin, I'm tired off having to navigate for several pages with duplicated shelves, the plugin is getting better and better. thank you davidfor!
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
the pluggins has been updated
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
kevenv
Enthusiast
kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
The plug in works perfectly!. Last time I edited my database, this time so much easier and faster.
kevenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
I look forward to this updated plugin as well. Thank-you, davidfor for all your blood, sweat and tears.
Luckily no blood. The sweat will happen over summer. The tears result from stupid things I do. There's going to be a few of those while I work on the next change (the menu item will be "Order Series Shelves"). That and the muttering of four letter words under my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevenv View Post
The plug in works perfectly!. Last time I edited my database, this time so much easier and faster.
Good to know it worked for someone other than me.

And to everyone else, thanks for the thanks
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
mahal48
Connoisseur

Thanks for the updated plugin. I had kept a copy of the database that had the duplcate/triplicate shelves, before I did the manual edit of the fields. Put this back on my Kobo and run your updated plugin. Successfully removed the nasty shelves.