Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #31
Noetic_Hatter
Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD+
It's a brilliant move. For me, I didn't get but 28 songs "added" -- I switched over to buying almost exclusively amazon mp3 and itunes music years ago. But a friend of mine checked his account, and he had songs from 161 CDs showing up in his mp3 player. His amazon cloud library went from zero to over 1000 songs instantly.

Now, most of those songs are in his iTunes library, ripped from the CDs years ago. But here's the point: he has been looking to transition to cloud storage for his music library, considering iTunes Match and Google Play. Amazon was not even on his library for cloud music --though he primarily uses them for streaming video and Kindle books.

Now, he is probably going to make the switch and use amazon's cloud storage for his music. It works on browsers, and it has a nice iPhone app. Had amazon not made this move, they wouldn't have captured this aspect of his business.

The same thing will happen with books at some point, where we get a digital copy and a hard copy. The ebook industry is still pretty young compared to digital music sales. They're all still working out the kinks.
Noetic_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #32
Noetic_Hatter
Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noetic_Hatter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD+
sorry, duplicate

Last edited by Noetic_Hatter; 01-13-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Noetic_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #33
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
I keep reading that they'll GIVE you mp3s, but aren't they just letting you listen to the mp3s? Can you actually download the files, or do they only let you stream them?
You can, indeed, download them. I did last night, for the Yo Yo Ma collection I bought from them several years ago on CD, after discovering all this in the "cloud player". The downloading software is a little buggy (at least on 64 bit Windows), but downloading through the cloud player worked fine.

Not everything I've bought was included, though.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #34
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I haven't bought any paper books from Amazon, but I have from Book Depository (UK company) owned by Amazon since last year.

So, it would be grand if Amazon adopts the buy one format get another format to hard books into ebooks.

Anyone know if the CD/MP3 plan works outside of the US?

Wondering about how it could work in all countries that Amazon operates in .....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #35
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Anyone know if the CD/MP3 plan works outside of the US?

Wondering about how it could work in all countries that Amazon operates in .....
I think the only place they sell MP3's is the US and UK isn't it? Doesn't look like the UK site is offering this option at all.

Is it still illegal to rip CD's in the UK?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #36
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Apparently none of my CDs are among the 50,000 included in the program!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #37
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I am so happy about this new program--I find myself hoping that it is indicative of how Amazon hopes to push the publishers down the road. It's the sort of thing we all asked for back when mp3s were first making their mark, and Amazon's brought it about. Maybe they'll be able to do the same with books. Imagine, a non-Kindle owner being told, "You now have Kindle copies of your books waiting for you; buy a Kindle and you've got a library ready."
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #38
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Apparently none of my CDs are among the 50,000 included in the program!
I am happy to report that this evening I have found six AutoRip albums in my Amazon Cloud.

Unfortunately, three of the six are Christmas albums, so it will be eleven months before I enjoy them!

I thought there would be more, but perhaps many of my purchases have been from Marketplace Sellers.

From 1997 to about 2007, many of my CD purchases were from the now-defunct BMG Record Club.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #39
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
It sure would be nice if physical book purchases were accompanied by ebook copies, sometimes it is nice to have the paper version and if you need to carry it and others nice to have the electronic versions.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote