Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
sitrucz
Connoisseur
sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Apple iPad Mini
Standardize Tags Automatically for Kindle Collections

After previewing my Kindle Collection tags without updating my Kindle I see it auto generated over 60 Collections. Is there an automated way to standardize on the tags to limit the number of collections I would have. For example Self-Help and Self Help should be one collection but because of the non-standard tags it’s generating two different collections.
sitrucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
As I don't have a Kindle, I could be mistaken, so listen to any Kindle Gurus over my own poor advice.

If I understood you correctly, there are two issues here. One is inconsistent terminology while the other is the overlap between collections. For the inconsistent term, the following should correct the tags within calibre. You will need to change the tag used for all instances of the wrong term.
  1. Open the Tag Browser and select the term to be changed/deleted.
  2. The book list will be limited to all books that the term is associated with.
  3. Select all.
  4. Edit Metadata in Bulk.
  5. Switch to the Search and Replace tab.
  6. Field=Tags
  7. Search for=wrong term
  8. Replace with=right term
  9. Click OK.
Once any inappropriate terms are removed, you will need to send the books to the Kindle again in order to get things re-organized.

As to the overlapping collections... I'm not sure how to correct that. Hopefully a guru will come by and offer a suggestion soon.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
As I don't have a Kindle, I could be mistaken, so listen to any Kindle Gurus over my own poor advice.

If I understood you correctly, there are two issues here. One is inconsistent terminology while the other is the overlap between collections. For the inconsistent term, the following should correct the tags within calibre. You will need to change the tag used for all instances of the wrong term.
  1. Open the Tag Browser and select the term to be changed/deleted.
Then right click on the tag and select rename, you can correct it to whatever you want. If that tag already exists, they are merged.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
sitrucz
Connoisseur
sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Apple iPad Mini
Thanks I'll give this a try.
sitrucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Hey, we both learned something! Thanks Davidfor.

As an FYI, calibre tends to have multiple ways to obtain a certain end result. I mention this because it is easy to forget how you did something, ask for help again, and get different directions. That can be confusing for users who are used to performing certain exact steps to get something accomplished. In most cases there is no difference to the results - regardless of the method.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert