Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

iPod touch 5 owners: How is the battery life?

Anyone out there with a new iPod touch 5th generation? If so, how is the battery life?

I've owned iPod touch 1st, 3rd, and 4th generations, and they were all pretty lackluster on battery life. The 4th generation was terrible. The battery specs for the new 5th generation really don't look much better than those for the 4th, so I'm skeptical that it will last more than 3 hours reading at about 50% screen brightness. My 4th generation rarely made it to 3 hours while reading.

The 5th generation looks nice except for the battery issues, if indeed the battery is an issue.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
zztush
Connoisseur
zztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad, iPod and NintendoDS
I am using 4th generation for ebook reader. Actually battery is one of the biggest issue of tablet ebook readers.
I often take fight mode to prevent wifi access and also take night mode. I think I can read more than at least 5 hours with this setting with my 4th generation.
zztush is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I have every intention of buying a Mophie Power Station (just undecided about whether to get the Duo or the standard) for those times I am out for an entire day, and away from normal charging facilities. I know my phone and/or ipad won't last the distance otherwise. These are good for iPods as well.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I have every intention of buying a Mophie Power Station (just undecided about whether to get the Duo or the standard) for those times I am out for an entire day, and away from normal charging facilities. I know my phone and/or ipad won't last the distance otherwise. These are good for iPods as well.
I'm surprised to hear that your iPhone or iPad won't last you a day without charging. I get a good 10-12h usage from my iPad 3, and only charge my iPhone 4 every 2-3 days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm surprised to hear that your iPhone or iPad won't last you a day without charging. I get a good 10-12h usage from my iPad 3, and only charge my iPhone 4 every 2-3 days.
I use my phone like an ipod. Audiobooks, reading, music, plus calls, text, and 3G data (don't believe me, Harry?). Last time I was out for the day (train to Sydney for lunch, and return) the battery died around 4pm. I didn't get home til after 7. The ipad lasts longer, of course. Less time on iphone if I also use it as a hotspot for the ipad. But whether or not it lasts a long time or a little is hardly the point. Jack was asking about iPod battery life, and I was suggesting a Mophie as a booster is a good idea: one I intend to pursue for myself.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 12-06-2012 at 06:51 AM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I use my phone like an ipod. Audiobooks, reading, music, plus calls, text, and 3G data (don't believe me, Harry?).
Certainly I believe you - it simply surprised me to hear it. The things you use your iPhone for must be a lot more battery intensive than the things I use mine for (which is primarily music and web browsing). If I fully charge my iPhone one morning, it'll typically be on somewhere between 60% and 70% charge the next morning, hence I typically charge every 2-3 days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Certainly I believe you - it simply surprised me to hear it. The things you use your iPhone for must be a lot more battery intensive than the things I use mine for (which is primarily music and web browsing). If I fully charge my iPhone one morning, it'll typically be on somewhere between 60% and 70% charge the next morning, hence I typically charge every 2-3 days.
Harry, I'm getting just about what you are with the battery in my iPhone 5. Perhaps a little less. Some apps do use more battery than others. But I listen to music for a couple of hours, browse the web a bit, read the newspaper, use the translator often, try and outsmart 'Siri' (and lose) several times a day, and use it to find my way around with Google Maps if I'm walking in a new area. By night time I still have at least 30%-40% battery left.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Since this thread was about the iPod Touch 5 all the other products are actually off topic, since none of that is transferable to this device.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Anyone out there with a new iPod touch 5th generation? If so, how is the battery life?

I've owned iPod touch 1st, 3rd, and 4th generations, and they were all pretty lackluster on battery life. The 4th generation was terrible. The battery specs for the new 5th generation really don't look much better than those for the 4th, so I'm skeptical that it will last more than 3 hours reading at about 50% screen brightness. My 4th generation rarely made it to 3 hours while reading.

The 5th generation looks nice except for the battery issues, if indeed the battery is an issue.
Quite curious about this, too. I also have a 4th gen and battery life is pretty bad for reading. It's got good battery life if you don't need the screen on (e.g. music playback) but with the screen on (e.g. reading), battery life is so short. Given the new dual-core CPU, bigger screen and the very minor bump in battery life, I have the feeling battery life on the 5th gen iPod would be similar to previous versions.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Well that is okay (I'm the OP) and it is nice to also see what others are getting battery charge wise with their iPhones and iPads. My iPad 3 gets at least 10 hours from a charge with WiFi on.

The problem with the previous iPod touches though is that Apple went more for design appeal than functionality, and the result was a thin, small, cool looking device that had a relatively tiny battery. The result in past iPod touch generations was a very short battery discharge time. For example, my iPod touch 4th generation rarely got more than 2 to 3 hours of use when reading, and that was with the brightness level turned way down. They are notorious for draining the battery very quickly. From what I'm reading it sounds like that issue might have been corrected in the 5th generation, but I would like to here that from an actual user and not a bunch of tech bloggers who are just quoting specs. So far I've read and watched dozens of reviews for the 5th generation, but none have specifically addressed battery discharge time, though a couple hinted at an improvement over the 4th generation.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Just a heads up, I had a Mophie power case for my iPod 4th generation that was supposed to double the battery charge. The case was nice looking and feeling and actually made the touch easier to hold by making it fatter. The case of course had a battery in it. Unfortunately, it never worked correctly. You had to switch between case battery and touch battery manually, and the case battery would fully discharge itself over night. After I sold it (case and touch) I learned that Mophie had recalled the case. A little later on they ceased manufacturing it. I would do a lot of research on any of their products before buying one again.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Dreamnine
Enthusiast
Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, iPod Touch 5
The battery life on my iPod has been really good since I got it - longer than the 4th Gen. which wasn't that old.

I experimented and got 44 hours of audio last week playing a mix of aac, mp3 and ALAC files, not using the screen much. That's compared with the 40 hours which Apple says.

Typically I use the Touch for a mixture of music, 2 hours of ereading and a little browsing/playing with other apps each day. I find myself charging it every couple of days or so which is usually when I want to sync it with my PC, and when it's down to around 50% or so.

Last edited by Dreamnine; 12-07-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Dreamnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

@Dreamnine, Nice photos.

I decided to take a chance and get the iPod touch 5th generation based on the reviews I've seen and read. I can always return it if the battery life is bad. But based on what I've seen and read it seems to be a huge update to the 4th generation, which was a dud IMO.
  • Screen is comparable to the iPhone 5 rather than being washed out like the 4th gen.
  • A5 chip delivers twice the speed and twice the RAM of the 4th gen. making performance comparable to the iPhone 4S
  • Improved battery life
  • Very good camera compared to the 4th gen.
  • Finally a good body design, no more shiny & highly scratchable finish
Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
  • Improved battery life
Don't forget to give an update regarding this point. I'm really interested to know what battery life is like on the new iPod Touch particularly when used for reading.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Don't forget to give an update regarding this point. I'm really interested to know what battery life is like on the new iPod Touch particularly when used for reading.
Will do. I hope to get it next Wednesday.