Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #31
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I want to find some sort of connector for VGA so I can use an external monitor (I have a few old ones). A docking station with built-in VGA, HDMI, USB, etc. would be a hot seller in my mind.
HDMI to VGA converter. Since HDMI is digital ad VGA is analog, you need a converter. A dock would be a great idea for just watching videos. This, combined with a BT keyboard and a monitor becomes half decent "Creation Station" where your tablet becomes the trackpad.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #32
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I think that all in 1 works if the "all" is limited. What is comfortable for working might not be comfortable for gaming, or websurfing, or reading, or listening to music, etc. Different sizes and different screens depending on where you use you device, the compromise between battery life and the power that is used, how rugged the device needs to be depending on its use, etc. If you want to optimize the device for each task, then you want more devices.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
First of, fjtorres WTF, how did I miss that entire show? cool, something to look forward to.
Not hard at all.
It ran in syndication rather through a specific network so each market ran it on an indepedent station at a different day and time. Depending on where you were living at the time the thing might run saturdays at 5PM (my neighborhood), sundays at 2PM, or fridays at 1AM. And not always at the same day and time. You had to know about it and be on the lookout for it.

This was during the heyday of the adhoc syndication "network" model for SF/Fantasy shows that started with STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION and petered out shortly after ANDROMEDA... Mostly because the launch of the now-gone UPN and WB tied up the bulk of the big independent TV stations that could afford those shows and because the networks, broadcast and cable, are no longer allergic to SF and adventure shows. (Fantasy still lags, but ONCE UPON A TIME seems to be holding on...)

Don't feel too bad, whille E:FC was always watchable, it was hardly compelling viewing--the show always felt like they were winging it and making things up on the fly week-to-week with no specific long-term plan. They did have good acting and *very* good prop and gadget designers and decent SFX, though.

And they did give the world a template for the ultimate personal communicator. As soon as somebody perfects film-based flexible display we will get something a *lot* like the Global. That alone makes the show memorable.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #34
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Tech is not there yet, so screen size and battery are issues at present. But I believe in the future the one device will just be your "Account" whether that be with Google or Microsoft or Skynet, is openn to debate

You will have one device in you home, some box in the basement, connected to fibre or future wifi, with x amount of storage, it will be used for local storage, personal stuff and as a buffer for you cloud account.

The way you will actually get the data will be glasses, wearable, as this needs the least amount of power and screen real estate, while giving you the best view.

IMO
This sounds like a *horrible* future.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #35
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
This sounds like a *horrible* future.
Especially when they skip the glasses and just feed the video to the optic nerve.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pOuVylMFFw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPW8xmI4w6U
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #36
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm on a very limited satellite connection - downloading an album from Amazon just about used up all my bandwidth for the day. So I've got Pandora playing on my smart phone, connected to a small (but excellent) speaker that is being powered off my computer. I have no idea how long the battery will last with my listening to music, but it's been a couple of hours now, and the battery is still pretty good. I love technology. but I'll still never give up my kindle to read on the smart phone.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #37
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm probably good with two devices. One tablet/netbook kind of thing and an e-reader. E-ink just reads too well for me to believe a tablet will work as well for reading fiction out on the patio.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #38
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Multi-purpose devices are great, but specialized devices generally do a better job. Sometimes good enough will do. I don't want to lug a camera around everywhere, it's nice to have a camera on my cell phone. But when I know I am going to take pictures, then I want a dedicated camera.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #39
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
HDMI to VGA converter. Since HDMI is digital ad VGA is analog, you need a converter. A dock would be a great idea for just watching videos. This, combined with a BT keyboard and a monitor becomes half decent "Creation Station" where your tablet becomes the trackpad.
Alas no international shipping, but I guess they are other vendors. Sure looks like a solution.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #40
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Especially when they skip the glasses and just feed the video to the optic nerve.
I'm sure I read something about having a wireless connection between contact lenses and power/data, so the image is displayed directly on the contacts.

But yes a direct connection to you optical nerve would be so much better, no screen needed

Maybe following on from that you could just have your thoughts read, so you wouldn't need any physical representation of data at all. Think of a film and it starts streaming, think of a meal, and it gets delivered.

Anyway back to the now.
One device is always preferable to me, even if it means loosing some specific functions of a dedicated. I much prefer to have less stuff.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #41
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
But yes a direct connection to you optical nerve would be so much better, no screen needed
That would be WONDERFUL for me, my left macula (center part of the retina) has been destroyed by macular degeneration rendering my left eye pretty much useless.

Since the optic nerve is intact; what a great computer screen it would make!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #42
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
If you don't need the full functionality of a PC, then the Galaxy Note would fit the bill. You can use it with a charging stand and bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo.

The original 7" Galaxy Tab international version could also be used as a phone. I see a lot of people in HK still using that. Perhaps they will have another similar device. A 7" Note with phone function would be great.
My problem is that I've written quite a number of programs in MS Office. Even the CMS used to generate/manage my websites is completely written in Access/VBA. So I'll probably wait for a 7" tablet with phone function from Microsoft. Then I can have a truly portable PC!!!

BTW, if I purchase a phone in HK, will it work in most countries when you insert a local SIM card into it?
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #43
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
You need to check what kind of bandwidths the phone supports. Higher end phones support most of the GMS/HDSPA/EDGE out there, but the world is beginning to move towards G4/LTE so perhaps you want to make sure that you have support for that as well. Otherwise yes, it should work with SIM cards from operators in other countries. This in fact is the preferred method, instead of roaming, when you go abroad. In Europe many users have a little flip case containing four SIM cards so they can switch when crossing borders.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #44
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
That would be WONDERFUL for me, my left macula (center part of the retina) has been destroyed by macular degeneration rendering my left eye pretty much useless.

Since the optic nerve is intact; what a great computer screen it would make!
I nominate you for the initial experiments!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #45
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
My problem is that I've written quite a number of programs in MS Office. Even the CMS used to generate/manage my websites is completely written in Access/VBA. So I'll probably wait for a 7" tablet with phone function from Microsoft. Then I can have a truly portable PC!!!
OMG, surely you are not serious. The MS Surface looks like a total disaster to me.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote