Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #1126
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Is the first four of your serial number: 9071 or is that a typo of 9017?

If it is 9071, that is a new model, which will have to be added to our packaging tool and the various packages re-built.

What country was the Kindle sold in?
You can see the information we need for our table, here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

What is the firmware version that is installed?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #1127
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisselpie View Post
Hi

My paperwhite2 is bought several days ago,and the serial num starts with 9071,i followed the guide copying the three files into root directory, but after eject,I found the update is still gray and when plugging in,the .bin file was deleted.I think maybe this is the issue of newest paperwhite.please help!!!
9071 or 9017? I ask because 9017 is a new one supported only by the snapshots and hopefully was a typo.

But if it is indeed 9071, then you will need to wait, say a day or two probably, for NiLuJe to update the snapshots, since you are the first person to report that serial number. In which case, which country was it sold from?

EDIT: I see knc1 beat me to it.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-08-2014 at 10:05 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #1128
s00pcan
s00pcan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
9071 or 9017? I ask because 9017 is a new one supported only by the snapshots and hopefully was a typo.
I was having the same problem; grayed out update link on 9017. I used the snapshot .bin and it worked perfectly.
s00pcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #1129
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@sisselpie: Check your S/N again, because that doesn't look right. Also, in which country was it bought and in which country was it shipped to? Is it a 3G or WiFi only model?

EDIT: Yay, missed a new page again \o/.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:47 AM   #1130
minion2eyes
minion2eyes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have a Kindle PaperWhite, Serial Number starting with 9017, which is listed in your list of Serial Numbers.

I have unpacked contents of "kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip" to the root of the device, and yet my 'Update Your Kindle' option remains greyed out.

I have removed files, restarted, and then copied the files into the root drive a few times now.

I have also searched this thread but have not found anything else that might apply to my case.

How do I jailbreak?

Thanks!
minion2eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2014, 05:55 AM   #1131
minion2eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhfoley View Post
I saw that posted last section, but I cannot figure out which to get. This link? kindle-jailbreak-1.10.N-r10721.tar.xz
That doesn't get me a zip or a RAR file though...am I supposed to put that straight into the root directory? Sorry for my ignorance here.
got it through 7 zip. Thanks. Done!
That is exactly my problem - what do I download from the 'Snapshots' page - I dont see a '7 zip' file?
Old 08-09-2014, 06:10 AM   #1132
minion2eyes

I resolved this (duh!)
Old 08-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #1133
minion2eyes

Resolved with a download from the 'Snapshots' page. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #1134
csm_walkabout
csm_walkabout began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I have a PW2: BOD4... fw ver: 5.4.3 - its registered and I want to keep the registration - its jailbroken (earlier this year). I want to upgrade to 5.4.5

Am I right in thinking I need to update the jailbreak to the latest and install the update jailbreak bridge 1.10.N? Will this survive even if the device is registered?

(sorry originally posted in the KUAL page by mistake)
csm_walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #1135
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm_walkabout View Post
I have a PW2: BOD4... fw ver: 5.4.3 - its registered and I want to keep the registration - its jailbroken (earlier this year). I want to upgrade to 5.4.5

Am I right in thinking I need to update the jailbreak to the latest and install the update jailbreak bridge 1.10.N? Will this survive even if the device is registered?

(sorry originally posted in the KUAL page by mistake)
(NiLuJe can fix that when he next visits.)

"earlier this year" - - that should be recent enough.
but if you want to be sure, use the newest jb package.
(I think they both automatically install the jailbreak bridge.)

Yes -
registration and changes in registration do not effect the device jailbreak, only effects the Kindlet Jailbreak (now named: MKK).

Yes -
the device jailbreak survives -
but not much else does - MKK will have to be reinstalled.
(Certain of that, since 5.4.5 can not itself be jailbroken - we tell people jb **before** the update to 5.4.5)
Old 08-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #1136
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@csm_walkabout: On a PW2, you should be golden no matter when you jailbroke, provided you've never reset it to factory. If you want to be extra-safe, (re)install the bridge before the update (or, yeah, in this specific instance, the jailbreak itself, which does the same thing).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #1137
afterbox
Enthusiast
afterbox began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2013 3G + Wifi
Hey everyone,

Writing a shell script for my PW2 which involves pulling a Wikipedia page over 3G. I am using wget for this, but it stops at 'Connecting to [Wikipedia IP]...'. I tried exporting the HTTP and HTTPS proxies with IP addresses I got with TCPDump, but wget fails with:

"wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden for Client: amz_2020"

Does anyone know how to get around this, or what amz_2020 might be? The 'amz' looks like 'Amazon' but I can't really explain the 2020. Thought I might get some input here...

Will.

Last edited by afterbox; 04-29-2018 at 04:24 PM.
afterbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #1138
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yeah, accessing 3G via any way other than Amazon's supplied route is and at the very least verges right on the edge of abusing their ToS.

This is one area where there seems to be a general agreement we aren't even going to try to find out what's going on there. People already abused the rules once and lost unrestricted 3G for the post-KK models.

Must it really be done over 3G?

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-10-2014 at 02:59 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #1139
knc1
Going Viral

The site policy of not discussing **other than Amazon** uses for the "free" services seems to apply to 3G also.

We need to remain the "good guys" in the battle for owner control of the Kindles people own.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #1140
afterbox
Enthusiast
afterbox began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2013 3G + Wifi
[deleted]

Last edited by afterbox; 04-29-2018 at 04:17 PM.
afterbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch