Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Galaxy 3, Kindle Fire HD
Sugarsync Android app question

I have the Calibre library folder on my laptop synced to Sugarsync, and today I thought I'd download a file (an ebook) from that folder in Sugarsync to my Android phone to read on my Kindle app.

I used the Sugarsync Android app, and when I pressed on the file name and got the option to download it, the app told me it had done the download but then asked me to 'complete the action using' and gave me a list of apps, and the Kindle app wasn't one of the actions.

All I really want to do is download the file to the SD card, so I can move it (using the OI File Manager app, which also isn't one of the options) to the Kindle subdirectory, but it doesn't seem like I can complete the download without choosing an option.

For any Sugarsync users: Am I doing something wrong here? How do I just download a file from there to my SD card? (I'd love to be able to put it in a specific subdirectory directly but moving it is not a big deal.)
Statch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statch View Post
I have the Calibre library folder on my laptop synced to Sugarsync, and today I thought I'd download a file (an ebook) from that folder in Sugarsync to my Android phone to read on my Kindle app.

I used the Sugarsync Android app, and when I pressed on the file name and got the option to download it, the app told me it had done the download but then asked me to 'complete the action using' and gave me a list of apps, and the Kindle app wasn't one of the actions.

All I really want to do is download the file to the SD card, so I can move it (using the OI File Manager app, which also isn't one of the options) to the Kindle subdirectory, but it doesn't seem like I can complete the download without choosing an option.

For any Sugarsync users: Am I doing something wrong here? How do I just download a file from there to my SD card? (I'd love to be able to put it in a specific subdirectory directly but moving it is not a big deal.)
Is there a "Downloads" folder somewhere? Maybe within the Sugarsync directory. Perhaps it's in there. You should be able to move it where you want to.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

There is a Downloads folder in the Sugarsync directory but the file's not there. I think it wouldn't complete the download without my selecting an option. (Thanks for the quick response!)
Old 10-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, just choose an app then. Then go back to the folder and see if it's there.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Statch
Connoisseur

I've tried several different ones. They all want to open the file with the app -- and of course can't -- and the file still doesn't show up in the Download folder.
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statch View Post
I've tried several different ones. They all want to open the file with the app -- and of course can't -- and the file still doesn't show up in the Download folder.
Is this a .mobi file or .azw? Usually the list apps are selected based on the filename extension.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

I use Dropbox. I just tried to download a file and it prompted me to open it with an app. I didn't want to do that so I just pressed the back button to get out of that window. I went to my Dropbox directory (using my file manager) and the file is there. You should be able to do the same.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Statch
Connoisseur

I did the same thing (used the back button, then tried to find the file with the file manager), but am not finding the file in the SugarSync download folder. I tried syncing the file instead, and the file does appear in the SugarSync folder, and I wa able to copy it to another directory. However, I don't really want to sync the file between SugarSync and the phone; it only needs to be synced between the laptop and SugarSync. I guess I can de-sync it once it's copied, but it seems like a bit of trouble.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

OK, guess it's just one of those quirks folks have to work around.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I had a bug with the Sugarsync iPhone app, and posted on their mobile forum. After a couple of back-and-forths, a project manager let me know that their iOS engineer found the bug and it will be fixed in the next update. They seem quick to respond and interested in fixing any problems, so I'd try their community forums.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
Statch
Connoisseur

Thanks! I had sent something to their help desk but haven't got an answer yet. I'll try to forums.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Yeah hopefully they respond quickly. It was some guy named Rick responding to a thread about opening ebooks. The update finally came through last night (I'd been waiting super impatiently..) and I'm thrilled that the glitch is fixed. I was tapping my foot like mad while Apple was reviewing the app upgrade though.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
the file will appear in the .sugarsync folder, not in the Sugarsync one. At least so does it work for me on my Galaxy ace phone. It is annoying indeed, but at least the file is on the phone. I could do the copy paste it without problem (using Astro File manager, the normal file manager could not see it) into the Kindle app and read it.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by aceflor; 10-29-2011 at 02:16 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
Statch
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
the file will appear in the .sugarsync folder, not in the Sugarsync one. At least so does it work for me on my Galaxy ace phone. It is annoying indeed, but at least the file is on the phone. I could the copy paste it without problem (using Astro File manager, the normal file manager could not see it) into the Kindle app and read it.
Hope this helps.
Thanks so much! This did work...and in an interesting way. I checked the .sugarsync file using the OI manager app and didn't see the file so I downloaded the Astro File Manager app. I still didn't see it in .sugarsync, so I checked the My Sugarsync Folder and there it was. I was able to copy it over and read it in the Kindle app.

But then I saw the cover, and went back to the .sugarsync file, since I had seen a tiny thumbnail of the same cover there. It turns out the file was there, just with a really funky name (numbers and characters).

At any rate, I can do what I wanted to do, and access my ebooks from anywhere even when my laptop is turned off. Wonderful!