Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
EverC
EverC began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3, Kobo Touch (returned)
Kobo Touch Extended 2 Year Warranty - Is it worth the $34.99?

I was wondering, if I should purchase the 2 Year Extended Warranty offered online by Kobo. Does anybody have experiences/opinions to share?
Also, I do wonder how long I have to purchase the Extended Warranty, it says that it's valid from date of purchase of the Kobo Touch, but do I have to buy the warranty within a certain timeframe? Like within 1 month of purchase?
Or can I decide before my manufacturer's warranty runs out, that I would like to have coverage for an extra year?
EverC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
A Kobo representative could probably have better answers, but I'll say that I bought the Protection Plan within 48 hours of getting my KT. Some points to think about: you have to plug in the KT and sync over the Internet to complete the purchase of the Protection Plan. That'll probably be hard to do if it is already damaged significantly. As well, I read the fine print, and one of the points is that, to make a claim, you must send your KT to them in the original box/packaging -- so don't throw that away!

Personally, I think it's worth it, assuming they keep their word, because it covers drops and liquid damage, which is not something I see with many other electronic device warranties. I've had three hand-held devices damaged in my life so far, so I think the empirical evidence is against me.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
exNookie
exNookie has learned how to buy an e-book online

My feeling is the cost of devices will drop significantly over the next year. Also, there will be major improvements in the hardware and software on new product releases.

I personally am not into paying an extra ~30% of the original cost for warranty protection on a device that will probably be outdated within a year.

Then again it's a great device and offers more than what many people want and need for the next 2 years so maybe it makes sense for some.
exNookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
They will have to issue refunds for them all soon. They are 100% broken. I'm tired of re loading my books, not using Calibre just the Kobo store and the memory STILL gets corrupt.
I'm not a happy camper and Kobo doesn't care one bit.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I think it's worth it from this stand-point: you get 100% full warranty for two years for $17.50 per year. No arguments, no hand-wringing about whether you qualify.

However, I'm a gambler and would choose not to. Then again, I have an Original Kobo and a Kobo WiFi as back up ... and a Kobo Touch refurb will likely be available for under $100 if/when I needed one. And, I might not needed one. So far, all my ereaders are in tip top shape and three get used regularly (as in daily/weekly).
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
They will have to issue refunds for them all soon. They are 100% broken. I'm tired of re loading my books, not using Calibre just the Kobo store and the memory STILL gets corrupt.
I'm not a happy camper and Kobo doesn't care one bit.
Um.. they DO care... trust me on that!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:52 AM   #7
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
They have done nothing for me but tell me it's obviously something I am doing. So Peter, sorry I don't trust you on that.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Whether to purchase an extended warranty or not depends on your financial condition and/or whether you regularly buy new gadgets. Are you able to plop down another $140 (or whatever applies to you) to buy a new one? After a year or so will you lose interest in the device and crave something fresh.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's a $130 device. Well within my "Oh, damn, I'm sad, now I have to replace it" budget. This "protection" plan is 27% of the price of a new device, paid up front, in case it might prove deffective or get damaged in the time frame I want to replace it with a refurbished model of the same??? That's crazy. I don't know what the failure/damage rate of Kobo's are, but I'm willing to wager that it's less than 1 out of 10.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I got my device at "standard" Canadian price, which was $140. $35 is 25%, not ~30%. And, as has been mentioned, it boils down to your comfort zone -- I feel that the chances of my KT being damaged are non-negligible, so I had no qualms paying for the Protection Plan. I fully intend for this device to last me several years. 3 at the least. If I'm going to lay down money for another electronic device, it'll be a smartphone or a tablet, not another eReader, especially if my current eReader is doing its job just fine, which I expect to be the case 2, 3 or even more years from now.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
Shankill
Nameless Being

Having had a Kobo 1 stop working, then a warranty replacement Kobo 2 stop working, and also given my past history of spilling cereal all over my keyboards, I felt the $35 a small price to pay for the peace of mind. And given that I feel its features and speed are at the point where I'm not going to contemplate replacing it in the next two or three years, I thought I might as well.

Also, since it's USD 35, I only paid AUD 32 for it. 24% of the Kobo's price for me!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I think it's worth it, my Kobo Original went a little under a month before the warranty was up.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote