Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo
Bible for Touch?

I was browsing through kobobooks.com looking for a NIV bible for my Kobo Touch.

I found a few that may or may not be suitable, such as Holy Bible (NIV) http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Holy-...2Xg/page1.html for $3.99 or the older Holy Bible (TNIV) http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Holy-...sVg/page1.html for $9.99.

The most important thing to me (even more than NIV vs TNIV vs NIV2011) is navigation. For an electronic bible, you need to be able to quickly pick Book, Chapter, Verse, and the available online previews just don't show me this.

Has anybody bought any edition of NIV for their Kobo Touch, and how well does the navigation work for you?
thepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
I have tried several of the free bible epubs out there. Text look-up is awkward. In almost all cases the Table Of Contents lists book, chapter, and text in one long list so that each book takes up many pages of the TOC. The one exception I found was one bible that also had page after page of suggested texts for certain issues before listing the books, chapters, and texts.

I think the solution would be multi-level TOC where it lists the books, you tap the one you want, then it expands to list the chapters, etc. I have not heard if Kobo is considering this in a future update, and since this really is only an issue for bibles, I'm sceptical that they will.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
joshmosh
Enthusiast
joshmosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
I have tried several of the free bible epubs out there. Text look-up is awkward. In almost all cases the Table Of Contents lists book, chapter, and text in one long list so that each book takes up many pages of the TOC. The one exception I found was one bible that also had page after page of suggested texts for certain issues before listing the books, chapters, and texts.

I think the solution would be multi-level TOC where it lists the books, you tap the one you want, then it expands to list the chapters, etc. I have not heard if Kobo is considering this in a future update, and since this really is only an issue for bibles, I'm sceptical that they will.
I am using an ESV epub and it has just the books in the TOC. The first page of the book itself has hyperlinks to the various chapters. Not too difficult this way to navigate.
joshmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo
I can now confirm that with the 1.9.10 firmware on the Kobo Touch, links are now selectable. As I'm not yet using it very much, I have no comment on how quick it is or how easy it is to select verses, just that it now seems to work.
thepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Here's the one I bought, it's KJV I got it because the preview looked good, easy to jump around.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@thepossum: Probably not the answer you are after but I tend to find that my iPhone is a good option for the Bible. For something like the Bible where you tend to want some interaction (cross references, highlighting, taking notes, quick lookups, etc..) I find that smartphones (and I assume Tablets) do a better job than I feel the Kobo would. Still they (those bible ebooks) arn't so expensive that they arn't worth a try. Any previews available to you?
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
Indeed any device with Internet would seem to be a superior solution as far as the Bible and searching it goes.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
drc77
drc77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Bible for Touch

I have used Olive Tree Bible reader on iPod touch for a long time so I contacted them to see if they were planning to do something similar for eReaders. In their reply they said "We are still currently focused on our strength which is smart phones and some PDAs, but we are evaluating different platforms constantly, and I will forward your request to our developers for consideration."
drc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc77 View Post
I have used Olive Tree Bible reader on iPod touch for a long time so I contacted them to see if they were planning to do something similar for eReaders. In their reply they said "We are still currently focused on our strength which is smart phones and some PDAs, but we are evaluating different platforms constantly, and I will forward your request to our developers for consideration."
Olivetree apps tends to have some nice features, but are rather expensive and having purchased copies in the past for now obsolete PDAs I get a little annoyed at the investment that dies with the platform unlike a nice paper bible.

I'd be surprised if they did a version for the eInk ereaders as they aren't really suited to a lot of interaction. If they have an Android version that would likely work with the Kindle Fire/Nook Tablet or other similar Tablets.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote