Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
pragmatick
pragmatick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre automatically applies suggestions

Hi,

so far I enjoy using Calibre a lot. It has some quirks, but most of the time I can work around them. One particular bug is very annoying though:
When I try to enter an author's name Calibre automatically applies a suggestion if it is alike, ignoring the case. I'll describe the scenario:

I have two books, the author set as "Peter v. Brett". I want to change the author to "Peter V. Brett", but Calibre automatically changes it back, because the old version is saved in the database. So I changed the author of both books to "p" and then I could change it back to "Peter V. Brett". It worked, but is laborious. Having entered "p" as a temp value, when I tried to enter "Peter", after having typed "P", Calibre changed it back to "p", applying it to the now known author value of "p", so I had to type in "Peter", which then read "peter", and then change it to "Peter"...

This probably sounds confusing, but you can reproduce it fairly easy when you set the author of one or more books to one value and then, afterwards, try to change the case of the author's name.

My recommendation would be:
a) Don't apply the suggestions automatically. It is annoying and doesn't make sense considering usability.
or
b) More programming work: Ignore suggestion values originating from the book(s) you are trying to change.

Thanks a lot for your work!

Simon

Last edited by pragmatick; 02-01-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: clarification
pragmatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
a) Completion is implemented because users demanded it, complaining about usability without completions. Go figure.

b) Not worth the effort to me.

If you delete the author and start typing the name again, the competion wont automatically kick in.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
pragmatick
pragmatick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi,

I don't mind the suggestions, but I don't know any program or website where the suggestions are automatically applied.

But well, I thought it would be a bug, not a feature, so feel free to ignore my suggestion (and not apply it automatically ).
pragmatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
Hmm I might be wrong but when I delete all the books by an author that autocompletion option in the pull down menu disappears.

Try deleting all of the books with the authors name spelled differently (you didn't say you deleted the temporary files you created).

Failing that, delete all of the books by that author and then re-add them to the library with the name spelled correctly.

Happy Sunday
Archon

Last edited by Archon; 02-06-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote