Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Publisher Association reveals UK reading habits

The Publishers Association has issued a press release revealing new research on e-reading trends.
Quote:
Christmas
  • 7% of UK adults claimed to have received a dedicated e-reader for Christmas.
  • 84% of those who received an e-reader downloaded at least one ebook (paid for or free).
  • Only 59% of those who got a smartphone, iPad or other reader have downloaded at least one ebook.
Paying for ebooks
  • 61% of those who had received an ereader have paid for content, compared to 37% of those who received a smartphone/iPad/other reader.
  • Nearly 8% of the population have downloaded paid for material since Christmas: on average, 5.75 ebooks.
  • Those who received a dedicated ereader paid for an average of 5.9 ebooks, compared to 5.3 for those with a smartphone; iPad or other reader.
  • Nearly half of the sample had downloaded between 1 and 3 ebooks since Christmas, both paid for and free.
Further comment can be found on The Register
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
pretty obvious facts: you get an ereader and ebooks is all you got; you get a smartphone and ebooks is just one of many things you got.

Plus, many people don't like reading in small pages and will turn just to eventual web browsing, emails, watching youtube short clips and playing some lousy casual game.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeEll View Post
84% of those who received an e-reader downloaded at least one ebook (paid for or free).
What did the others do with their reader?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Probably whatever people do with unwanted gifts: Return or exchange them; give them away; leave them sitting around; donate them.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
pick one of:
gifted
burned
stored away
lost
are busy reading the one ebook that came with it
etc

Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
I live in Sweden so my experience might not be valid, but when I bought my ereader it came with 100 books loaded from gutenberg.org - all classics, some of which I owned, some others I had read, but quite a few that I have always wanted to read, so I could have gone a full year without buying a book!
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
The smart phone numbers are a bit higher than I would have thought. Interesting.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
I live in Sweden so my experience might not be valid, but when I bought my ereader it came with 100 books loaded from gutenberg.org - all classics, some of which I owned, some others I had read, but quite a few that I have always wanted to read, so I could have gone a full year without buying a book!
Fair point. My first proper reader came with several thousand of them, but they were all deleted on the first day.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote