Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
the griot
the griot began at the beginning.

Device: nook
calibre+epub+nook

i used calibre to convert a pdf to epub for use on the nook. when i try to open the converted doc on the nook, it says the maximum file size is 20 mb....and my converted file was 23 mb. are there settings i can tweak in calibre, or on the nook to fix the problem?
the griot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
I suspect you're wasting your time. If the file's that big, it's almost all graphics and they won't render well (if at all) on NOOK. Your best bet is to view it on something with a bigger screen, like a laptop or netbook.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

That does seem to be really large for an ePub. Most ePubs which contain hundreds of pages and a few images will be less than 4mb. The problem with PDFs is that they can contain text only, images of text only, or a combination. I've never had much luck converting a PDF that was mostly scanned images of text, and only rarely have I had luck converting one with text. PDFs and eBook readers really don't get along.

One thing you might do is to divide the document into two parts and create tw books instead on one so the sizes of the files are below 20mb.

Out of curiousity, did you try opening the PDF itself on the nookcolor?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Out of curiousity, did you try opening the PDF itself
Yes, I agree. I have had pretty good luck reading PDFs as is, depending on the formatting, of course.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote