Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #271
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasimser View Post
Love the new versions of the Search the Internet and Open with plugins. I do have one suggestion/request for the Open with plugin. For a book with no formats, it still should be possible to edit the cover. I frequently use empty books to track my pBooks, audio books and books on my wishlist, and it would be nice to be able to edit their covers too.
You might want to read the three posts previous to yours.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #272
dasimser
dasimser began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You might want to read the three posts previous to yours.
Actually, I had read those posts, and I had noticed that Kiwidude had updated a fixed version of the plugin and edited his post before I had downloaded the plugin.

My comments were driven by the fact that the fixed plugin does not raise any errors but does grey out the cover-related menu items for books without formats.

Dave.
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #273
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Right, I just read all the last few posts "properly" now my nephews have finally gone, spotted the perfectly reasonable suggestion of editing covers for books with no formats and upped the new zip (again). My apologies to the couple of you who downloaded in the meantime and many thanks for calling me out on the bug I left in it.

My last minute epiphany today of one last feature (disabling the menus where cover/formats not available) clearly bit me, should know better by now. I didn't count on the constant need for attention of my 5/8yr old visiting nephews every 2 minutes and did half a job on it.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #274
dasimser

Kiwidude,

I just tried your most recent upload, and it works like a charm -- thanks! Gotta love the near instantaneous tech support .

Dave.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #275
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My comments were driven by the fact that the fixed plugin does not raise any errors but does grey out the cover-related menu items for books without formats.
Interesting since I have the beta version and this was working fine for editing covers. I (and I guess you) didn't expect the fixed version to gray out a previously working item. Good catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
My apologies to the couple of you who downloaded in the meantime and many thanks for calling me out on the bug I left in it.
No apologies needed. I figured it was a typo since it worked fine in the beta version.

Quote:
I didn't count on the constant need for attention of my 5/8yr old visiting nephews every 2 minutes and did half a job on it.
Kids are energy vampires. That is the only way to explain how they go for hours on end.

Thanks, the corrected update is appreciated.
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #276
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
@kiwidude,

Many thanks for these plugins, especially Search The Internet and Open With

They're extremely useful and have saved a lot of time.

If I could I'd send you some e-beers
Old 01-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #277
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I recently added 35 new eBooks. With a little regular expression help, it was a breeze to have a search pull them all up, and then use the Search Online plugin to locate the book on Goodreads and add it to my 'to read' list with two simple clicks. Calibre, especially with these great new plugins, has become crazy good! Thanks for all he hard work all of you have put into this!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #278
dasimser

Kiwidude,

After playing with the Open with plugin a bit more, I had one other minor comment: Paint.NET supports native 64-bit, so the path for Paint.NET should be the same for both 32-bit and 64-bit. The Paint.NET installer automatically determines that you are running 64-bit and installs the 64-bit version under Program Files rather than installing the 32-bit version under Program Files(x86).

Dave.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #279
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Kiwidude,

After playing with the Open with plugin a bit more, I had one other minor comment: Paint.NET supports native 64-bit, so the path for Paint.NET should be the same for both 32-bit and 64-bit. The Paint.NET installer automatically determines that you are running 64-bit and installs the 64-bit version under Program Files rather than installing the 32-bit version under Program Files(x86).

Dave.
Thanks for the feedback. I will remove the x64 entry for Paint.NET then. I developed these changes while away on my laptop which is only 32-bit so there was some guessing going on.

GRiker has been kind enough to send me some changes for Mac OSX support (they would also need a small change to Calibre). In addition I have decided that each platform should have it's own list of default applications - no point in displaying all those Windows apps to a Mac user etc. So I will do a v1.3 of the Open With plugin to come out in a few days.

If there are any linux users out there who can offer me a little help with a couple of questions (does the plugin work currently, and some paths to some applications like Sigil and some graphics program defaults) please either PM me or leave a note here.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #280
davtay
The Continental
davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Just wanted to say thanks for your hard work and for explaining how to install these plugins for those of us who are kinda new at all this.

David.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #281
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Thanks to all of you for the positive feedback on the plugins, e-beers etc. I apologise for not replying individually but didn't want to fill the thread with even more rambling from me in response - I do read them all though . It is both interesting and gratifying to hear how the plugins are being used. To some extent they have been to fill gaps for things *I* wanted in Calibre and the rest just an intellectual challenge. That they help others too is a nice bonus.

I'm still working through a backlog of upgrading some of the other plugins... here is a tentative 'roadmap' if you like...

The "add/remove user category" plugins are being combined into a single "User Category" plugin and loads of new stuff being added to it. Such as only enabling menu options based on whether it already is in that user category, a dialog to choose authors/tags if there are multiple, ability to rename user categories (no way to do that elsewhere I can see), menu items to "show in tag viewer" and open the maintain dialog etc.

The "Open Epub in Editor" will quietly disappear as the "Open with" plugin completely replaces and supercedes it and I don't want to maintain/confuse new users with both.

I'm thinking of adding some more features to the "Quick Preferences" plugin. Such as the ability to switch the "Save template" for those of you who have different requirements for multiple devices/outputs. If anyone has any further ideas/suggestions for other preferences they end up changing frequently as they "do stuff" let me know.

"Search from clipboard" will get an icon in case you place it on your toolbar and a gui letting you change the keyboard shortcuts. I'm wary of any currently hard-coded ones suddenly conflicting with new Calibre features. Perhaps one day Calibre will have a centralised action/shortcut key registry I can integrate with so users can change shortcuts in a single dialog rather than each plugin (and Calibre shortcuts as well) - there's an open ticket for it but imagine it is well down the priority list. Certainly it would be nice to "reclaim" some of the shortcut keys which imho got burnt too early on less used Calibre features. Like Alt-P for a similar publisher search, really, when was the last time anyone used that? Likewise Alt+T is fairly useless if you have multiple tags per book...

The last remaining plugin of mine is "Walk Search History" which being more recent doesn't need too much tinkering. As I have it on my toolbar a few times I've wondered about actually listing the searches in the dropdown like you see in a browser. It would virtually replicate what the search dropdown box does, but at least you could do everything in one place when you aren't sure what your previous search was.

And of course there is the potential of a GoodReads plugin which sounds like a bit of fun.

So plenty to keep me out of trouble. As any always suggestions for extra things you would like to see in these are welcomed, particularly if I'm about to dig it out for an overhaul anyway!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:34 AM   #282
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I'm thinking of adding some more features to the "Quick Preferences" plugin. Such as the ability to switch the "Save template" for those of you who have different requirements for multiple devices/outputs. If anyone has any further ideas/suggestions for other preferences they end up changing frequently as they "do stuff" let me know.
The first thing I have to say is: Thank you again. Your Quick preferences plugin is great, great timesaver. The ability to have several Regular expressions available at a click of the button alone is fantastic.

I still can't make keyboard shortcuts make work. I must be doing something wrong.
How do I define a shortcut? Just type Ctrl+s for "Switch author name" into a text box in preferences dialog, or do I have to do something else? I was trying to define keyboard shortcuts on my Linux and also on my Windows (at work) and ... nothing. The default Calibre shortcuts, for example Alt+A for "Show books by the same author" DO work, so it isn't like keyboard shortcuts are completely broken on my computers.

I have one more suggestion for a Quick preferences plugin.
It would be an absolutely killer feature if the icon on toolbar reflected the state of the settings. I will provide icons (128 at the moment, to cover all permutations), if you wish (I do not know how, yet, but I do not expect problems here)
Icon might look like grayed out Preferences icon with a text overlay.
Or you could use the text, like 1sRA in the icon title. Or change the color of SRA letters to reflect the state.

2SrA would mean: the second Regular expression for import, Swap author name ON, Read metadata from file OFF, Add formats to existing books ON. This way you could see settings at the first glance.

Or, the choices could be directly on the toolbar.
The idea is to see the state of preferences at a glance.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:13 AM   #283
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I still can't make keyboard shortcuts make work. I must be doing something wrong.
How do I define a shortcut? Just type Ctrl+s for "Switch author name" into a text box in preferences dialog, or do I have to do something else? I was trying to define keyboard shortcuts on my Linux and also on my Windows (at work) and ... nothing. The default Calibre shortcuts, for example Alt+A for "Show books by the same author" DO work, so it isn't like keyboard shortcuts are completely broken on my computers.
Hmmm, not having a linux box myself I can't test it myself. You did install the later version I sent you right? A shortcut value should be something like 'Ctrl+Shift+1' (no quotes) or indeed 'Ctrl+S'. Perhaps the casing matters? The main thing is to make sure there is no conflict with existing Calibre shortcuts or those of other plugins (Ctrl+S is used by my "Search from Clipboard" plugin in case you had that installed).

Quote:
I have one more suggestion for a Quick preferences plugin.
It would be an absolutely killer feature if the icon on toolbar reflected the state of the settings. I will provide icons (128 at the moment, to cover all permutations), if you wish (I do not know how, yet, but I do not expect problems here)...
I understand what you want to achieve but I would be extremely reluctant to approach it that way. Other than I don't particularly like the cryptic nature of it, there is the simple fact that I will likely add more preferences to that plugin over time .

I think we need to get the keyboard shortcuts working for you - that way you can just issue those before you do an action and that way be sure that the preferences have switched if moving the mouse to dropdown the toolbar button is too inconvenient.

What you "really" want is some kind of information panel displayed on screen with info in it. Unfortunately that would require changes to Calibre source and are not able to be done with plugins I believe. Of course you could try campaigning Kovid via a ticket for a "widget plugin" mechanism to allow such a panel to be added to the gui, perhaps others have ideas for how that could be used...

Only other ideas I have are:
(1) I could update the status bar text for the tooltip of that button with some kind of summary of settings. However that still requires moving the mouse over the button.
(2) Adding an additional keyboard shortcut action to the plugin which displays that information for you. Directly in the statusbar would be easiest, and no windows to close. Alternatively "maybe" the shortcut could pop-open the toolbar button as though you had mouse clicked on it, then you hit esc to close it. I don't know if the latter is technically possible but I would assume it is. Of course it also relies on getting a keyboard shortcuts to work for you
Old 01-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #284
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Hmmm, not having a linux box myself I can't test it myself. You did install the later version I sent you right? A shortcut value should be something like 'Ctrl+Shift+1' (no quotes) or indeed 'Ctrl+S'. Perhaps the casing matters? The main thing is to make sure there is no conflict with existing Calibre shortcuts or those of other plugins (Ctrl+S is used by my "Search from Clipboard" plugin in case you had that installed).
Yes, I have installed version you sent me. It just took me two days to download 30kB file from Rapidshare due to their ... aehm ... "Improved"(*) interface.
I have installed it to Linux and also to windows and I can't make keyboard shortcuts work on either system. I must be doing something wrong. I will try again ...

Quote:
I understand what you want to achieve but I would be extremely reluctant to approach it that way. Other than I don't particularly like the cryptic nature of it, there is the simple fact that I will likely add more preferences to that plugin over time .

I think we need to get the keyboard shortcuts working for you - that way you can just issue those before you do an action and that way be sure that the preferences have switched if moving the mouse to dropdown the toolbar button is too inconvenient.
well, "one click away" is *vastly* more convenient than previous solution of having to navigate through several layers of Preferences dialog and then copying and pasting one of several desired regular expressions for file input parsing from an open text editor.
Quote:
What you "really" want is some kind of information panel displayed on screen with info in it.
Exactly. With info on it, and an ability to click and change that setting.
Quote:
Unfortunately that would require changes to Calibre source and are not able to be done with plugins I believe. Of course you could try campaigning Kovid via a ticket for a "widget plugin" mechanism to allow such a panel to be added to the gui, perhaps others have ideas for how that could be used...

Only other ideas I have are:
(1) I could update the status bar text for the tooltip of that button with some kind of summary of settings. However that still requires moving the mouse over the button.
(2) Adding an additional keyboard shortcut action to the plugin which displays that information for you. Directly in the statusbar would be easiest, and no windows to close. Alternatively "maybe" the shortcut could pop-open the toolbar button as though you had mouse clicked on it, then you hit esc to close it. I don't know if the latter is technically possible but I would assume it is. Of course it also relies on getting a keyboard shortcuts to work for you
Please do not worry about that.
It was just an idle suggestion. There are much more pressing (and potentially more useful) issues on the wishlist from other users.
I am extremely happy with the plugin as it is. You can't replace core Calibre functionality (like customizable floating toolbars, or, even better, context driven customizable statusbar) with a plugin.

(*) understand "Even more annoying to non-subscribers" interface. ;-)
Old 01-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #285
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Yes, I have installed version you sent me. It just took me two days to download 30kB file from Rapidshare due to their ... aehm ... "Improved"(*) interface.
I have installed it to Linux and also to windows and I can't make keyboard shortcuts work on either system. I must be doing something wrong. I will try again ...
It is time to download the newest version so we're all on the same page. Go to the first post in this thread and click on the link to find the newest plugin.
Closed Thread