Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
ibooks on iphone..

just announced, apple's bringing ibooks to iphones running os 4.0 (available this summer). let the rejoicing/heckling begin!

complete with library, bookmark and note (hilighting) syncing between devices.. apple copies off of amazon/kindle for this one. lol
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
It doesn't look like the Original iPhone will get it though.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Probably not. And no multitasking for the original or 3G, only the 3Gs. Trying to push upgrades to the 3Gs or new version in June I guess.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

well no upgrade for the original iphone is not a surprise. it's already 3 years old. 3 years in the cell-phone world is a pretty long time. you don't see any other manufacturer supporting their phones that long either. my original iphone has turned more into a touch these days.

the 3gs is the only phone with their newer/faster/better processor (a4). the 3g is actually a souped up iphone 2g. they'll be getting some of the new features at least though..
Old 04-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have a question: is the synching accomplished via the 'cloud' like Amazon, or via iTunes?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Synching is via iTunes.

But there are apps you can get to drag and drop via wifi etc. I believe.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books

i was under the impression it was done via the cloud (aka. mobile.me). where did you hear itunes only?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard

Well, I suppose you can use mobile me as well. I did read something about that. But doesn't that cost like $99 a year or something? That's what my girlfriend said the Apple employee told her about it anyway.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

yes. moble me is $99/yr unless you buy an apple product (iphone, ipad, laptop, desktop) then you can pick it up for $69 a year. not that cheap. i only bother to get it/renew when i pick it up for the $69. when it expires they simply disable your account, you can re-activate at any time and all your content is still there. i don't use it for the email service (horrible reviews) but the sync between apple systems is useful for me. "back to my mac" has been useful as well.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard

Thanks for the info. I don't think my girlfriend has much use for synch back to desktop (especially if it's only for Macs since we both only have PCs).

For me, I don't mind synching and dragging and dropping in iTunes. The iPad just needs a real file system. For the iPhone it's more ok to not have it as most people aren't working with a lot of documents etc. on it so synching is ok. For a tablet, not so much.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books

i doubt apple will ever open up the filesystem to the public. i expect it to be available once the ipad is jailbroken, if you're willing to take that route. i muck around in my iphone's file system on a regular basis.

no. if you're a pc only household, then i'd skip mobile me. there isn't enough benefit for you. for mac users it gives you an online web site, custom domain, email box, photo gallery with very easy sharing, syncing of system configuration, mailboxes, 3rd party apps, a drop box style storage space, the ability to locate, message and lock down or erase/wipe your iphone and ipad remotely and a few other things. most of the features are available from other sources such as google, dropbox, sugar sync, yahoo, etc. except for the remote location, lock down and wipe ability, since those are specific to the apple hardware. service like this, i expect more to be in the $50/yr range. i wouldn't have a problem renewing it yearly then.

you can sync to some pc applications as well, like your address book to outlook, but the options are very limited.

you can buy increased storage, and family packs (5 names under 1 account) as well for extra money.

out of 5 stars i'd give it a 3.5 for mac users and a 1 for pc users.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yeah I doubt Apple will get an open file system on the iPad--which is lame.

It doesn't even have to be a full system where you can see every file on the device. Just make a file area called "My Files" or something like that and allow users to make files there for their documents, pictures etc., and allow all apps to be able to access that folder so I can easily open a pdf from my documents folder area in any pdf reader apps etc.

But if they don't add it, then I'll just wait for another type of tablet (Android maybe) that adds that and comes close to matching the form factor, responsiveness, battery life etc.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yeah I doubt Apple will get an open file system on the iPad--which is lame.

It doesn't even have to be a full system where you can see every file on the device. Just make a file area called "My Files" or something like that and allow users to make files there for their documents, pictures etc., and allow all apps to be able to access that folder so I can easily open a pdf from my documents folder area in any pdf reader apps etc.

But if they don't add it, then I'll just wait for another type of tablet (Android maybe) that adds that and comes close to matching the form factor, responsiveness, battery life etc.
that is exactly what they have done... on iPad

in fact for photos thats exactly how it has always been once apps first came to the original iPhone, all of the photo manipulation apps can open photos from the camera role and save edits or newly created pictures into it as could teh drawing apps!

info on iPad here http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._for_ipad.html

and heres an app that takes advantage of the 'file system' http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...threadid=50460

I dont think all apps or any really have starte to use this functionality but i imagine it will appear with updates.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yep, as I said in the other forum, apps like that can greatly alleviate the problem.

But I do wish apple would just make a "My Files" section of the iPad and let users create their own subfolders in there and then drag and drop files in to there in iTunes.

If that was a standard feature built into the OS, then all apps would take advantage of it, vs. now having a situation where a 3rd party app needs to take advantage of another 3rd party app etc.

It would solve problems like the terrible photo loading system where you can only do it via synching which is a pain. The easiest thing seems to make a new folder for iPad photos and copy pictures and folders of pictures in there and sync them. Otherwise if you synch one folder, then go back a later date and synch another folder of pics (say from a recent vacation) that are saved elsewhere it deletes the current pics from the iPad and you only have the new vacation pics.

Probably some workaround, but jesus would it be much simpler to just be able to drag and drop than folder of new pics to a "my pictures" folder on the iPad in iTunes.

People say Apple products are so intuitive and easy to use, but I get frustrated with them since simple tasks like loading files ends up being needless complex because of requiring iTunes, only having synching as an option for some things etc.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #15
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
It would solve problems like the terrible photo loading system where you can only do it via synching which is a pain. The easiest thing seems to make a new folder for iPad photos and copy pictures and folders of pictures in there and sync them. Otherwise if you synch one folder, then go back a later date and synch another folder of pics (say from a recent vacation) that are saved elsewhere it deletes the current pics from the iPad and you only have the new vacation pics.

Probably some workaround, but jesus would it be much simpler to just be able to drag and drop than folder of new pics to a "my pictures" folder on the iPad in iTunes.
youve mentioned this before and it simply isnt the case.

if I tick -album 1- and set it to sync then runa sync its added to my iDevice

If i then reconnect and tick -album 2- and sync then albums 1 and 2 are on the iDevice UNLESS i unticked album 1

Whatever albums are ticked when you sync will be on the device its that simple, if you untick it then when you sync it will be removed.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote