Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-18-2007, 08:43 AM   #76
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Been away for a few days.

Kovidgoyal is right about the foundation series. When I looked the series up in the wiki I clicked on this link where Isaak describes the order the books should be read in. He slipped in a measly other 8 books to accompany the saga.

Most of what I read from that series comes from paper. NatCh gave a good source to find them. Unfortunately paper is still the major source for older titles not yet on Public Domain.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 06-18-2007 at 09:01 AM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:36 PM   #77
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Travis McGee series by John D MacDonald

Travis McGee was a "salvage consultant" who would recover anything for you at a fee of half the value. You accepted this because you could not recover your property by any other means.

McGee lived on his barge-type houseboat in a marina in Fort Lauderdale Florida. He took his retirement in installments whenever he had cash in his hidey-hole. His successes resulted from his wits and speed. He was a large rough-hewn man deeply browned by the sun.

The character McGee developed over time to a more introspective one with self-doubt. The stories span almost twenty years and in that time we see McGee age and become more vulnerable.

The stories were always full of action, romance, and the wisdom MacDonald injected into them. MacDonald was one of our most prized authors.

It was with considerable sadness that I closed the 21st McGee novel, "The Lonely Silver Rain". McGee was clearly retiring permanently. I had read the series for the first time more than 10 years ago. This time, I read them during April and May. John D MacDonald died in 1986. There will be no more Travis McGee stories.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #78
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Thanks for a tip.
I think I will go through book 1 and book 2. If I don't like them I stop.
I have not read any HP books yet but I have seen movies and reading A Wizard of Earthsea feels like a the first HP movie was based on this book Small buy, no parents, natural talents, goes to far away school to learn magic, rivals in school...I think Rowling is a big fan of Earthsea
It's a pretty common theme, really. Even more common if you're willing to include books about talented orphans going away to school that don't involve magic. For what it's worth, the Harry Potter books don't read like Le Guin (I think they read more smoothly, actually).

The plot of A Wizard of Earthsea takes a sharp turn from any of the HP books about halfway through. Again, I think the first one may be the weakest. The plot and characterization of The Tombs of Atuan are much stronger, and the idea behind The Farthest Shore is... deep, for lack of a better word.

Yet, the books she wrote twenty years later in the same world are much more interesting, to my mind. At the time that Le Guin was writing the first Earthsea books, there were a lot of unconscious assumptions in fantasy (e.g. all wizards are male, but that's the simplest one). Its odd, because Le Guin was writing science fiction during the same period that challenged many assumptions and stereotypes. When Le Guin returned to Earthsea, two decades later, these assumptions apparently jumped out at her, and she found a way to write sequels without the same assumptions that somehow still worked -- they explained how things had gotten to be the way they were in the first books, and caused the reader (or me, at least) to go back and re-interpret what I thought I understood about the first books. I always like it when a writer can bring the reader to that kind of reinterpretation.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
le Guin describes stuff too much and the way she does it just gets in the way of the story.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:35 AM   #80
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Well I am 3/4 through the first book. Going to read the second one as well. Then who knows? Though I might be interrupted at some point. I managed to lay my hands on a copy of The Terror by Dan Simmons. Some people say it is a very good book
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #81
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Well I am 3/4 through the first book. Going to read the second one as well. Then who knows? Though I might be interrupted at some point. I managed to lay my hands on a copy of The Terror by Dan Simmons. Some people say it is a very good book
I've read the Hyperion and Endymion sagas. This guy knows how to move stories, rarely a dead moment. Of course you can't say as much for the characters!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #82
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I've read the Hyperion and Endymion sagas. This guy knows how to move stories, rarely a dead moment. Of course you can't say as much for the characters!
Ditto.
Read them same books. I was not very impressed by Hyperion (poet's life was way too borring to me) but I really liked Endymion. I guess it is because they are written in different styles. Hyperion was Sci-fi and Endymion Sci-fi too but I was reading like an adventure so I liked it much more. Female terminator, oops robot reminded me female terminator from T3
Old 06-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #83
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I liked the Xanth 'trilogy' up through Golem in the Gears, then they started seeming increasingly rushed, like he got to be in such a hurry to tell the story (and cram in as many puns as possible, so there's good there too), that he lost sight of telling the story of the characters. I stopped buying/reading the new ones entirely some years ago.
If you like punny fantasy, you might try Steven Brust. He creates some interesting characters, like Vlad Taltos, the assassin-hero of Jhereg and some if his other novels, and interesting plots. Brust is Hungarian-American. His stories often contain Gypsy elements. Brust is a talented musician and a generally colorful character. You can read about Brust and his books here.

Last edited by mogui; 06-20-2007 at 10:32 PM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:07 PM   #84
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've been intrigued by the looks of The Phoenix Guard for years, but I've always had something else I wanted to read when I ran across it.

Your recommendation increases the odds of my actually picking up a copy, though.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #85
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I second the recommendation of Brust. Phoenix Guards and the books that go with it are different from his Vlad Taltos books, though-- they are a deliberate attempt to simulate the style (and to some extent, the content) of the works of Alexandre Dumas. The Taltos books are written in a more contemporary style, a bit like Zelazny on his good days, I'd say. I liked both. Lots. (I'm currently re-reading my Brust collection.) I have not been able to find any of them in "legal" ebook format, however (and I have not been able to find Phoenix Guards and its sequels in ebook form at all, so if anyone else has, please let me know).

Brust is on LiveJournal here: http://skzbrust.livejournal.com/ and his comments about writing are almost as much fun as the books themselves.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:36 AM   #86
SciFiReader
GadgetReader
SciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Sony Reader
What I am reading

I have a few books going...
Allen Steele' "Coyote Frontier", Eric Flint "1924", "The Monk and the Cypher", about Roger Bacon. To cap it off, Ian Fleming's "Thunderball". All are on my Reader, so it is easy to switch as my mood changes.
SciFiReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #87
cherdman
Enthusiast
cherdman began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
le Guin describes stuff too much and the way she does it just gets in the way of the story.
I read The Wizard of Earthsea a couple of months ago and boy was I surprised. Such a tiny book took me sooooo long to read! I'll try her other books since the consensus seems to be that they're better.

Right now I'm reading The Fall of Reach (Halo novel). Next up for me is either Cryptonomicon (Stephenson) or Red Mars (Robinson). Any advice?

Last edited by cherdman; 06-22-2007 at 01:05 PM.
cherdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherdman View Post
I read The Wizard of Earthsea a couple of months ago and boy was I surprised. Such a tiny book took me sooooo long to read! I'll try her other books since the consensus seems to be that they're better.

Right now I'm reading The Fall of Reach (Halo novel). Next up for me is either Cryptonomicon (Stephenson) or Red Mars (Robinson). Any advice?
Don't bother. They aren't much better. That is my opinion. I never really cared for her work. It's not the stories, but the way she writes. Just don't work for me.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:52 AM   #89
astra
The Introvert

Almost finished The Tombs of Atuan.

An improvement on A Wizard of Earthsea but .....something in the way she writes doesn't suit me well. I will continue nonetheless.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:04 AM   #90
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
just started the high school boys omnibus from harry. good quick breezy read

for kids of all ages
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote