Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Osen,

I'm in the same boat as you are. Also tried to fiddle with fonts file and got burned.

How do you enter recovery mode on K2?
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Rebooting with R held down AFAIR.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #18
wz2b
wz2b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Rebooting with R held down AFAIR.
Let us know if that works please
wz2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #19
Osen
Osen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Rebooting with home key held.

HOwever the recovery mode is not helpful. At least not until we can get igor one and plead him to figure out how to construct a recovery update properly...
Osen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #20
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Ok.
I'm at the same point. In recovery mode it doesn't recognize the FC02 updates, when I rolled FB01 update it tries to install it and immediately fails with error 003. I tried putting ls > /mnt/us/ls1.txt at the very start of the script and nothing happens - when I reboot the Kindle drive doesn't have ls1.txt and update bin is gone as well.

This leads to 3 possibilities:
1) /mnt/us is not mounted when the update runs, is mounted elsewhere or is not writable when the update runs (although the update itself does get deleted somehow) - LIKELY
2) ls is not available when the update runs - NOT LIKELY
3) updater refuses to run the shell script with the code. either it expects some additional metadata, checksums, etc or specific name for the script.

I assume that if we could take a look at the recovery mode image which is not part of the sources as far as I can tell we could figure out what is missing and what error 003 means.

Another thing that surfaced - is that in normal boot mode the Kindle drive is not accessible anymore - I can see the drive letter but there is no filesystem. Sometimes it would appear after several minutes - sometimes not. It's almost as if process running it is deprived of CPU.

Everything works fine in recovery mode.

I called Amazon and replacement unit is already on it's way. It's actually cool that their warranty has cross-shipping and overnight shipping.

So if I don't get anywhere by tomorrow morning I'll pack it up and ship it away. As much as I like to mess with technology I miss my books and need them for my work.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #21
Osen
Osen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Ok.
This leads to 3 possibilities:
1) /mnt/us is not mounted when the update runs, is mounted elsewhere or is not writable when the update runs (although the update itself does get deleted somehow) - LIKELY
2) ls is not available when the update runs - NOT LIKELY
3) updater refuses to run the shell script with the code. either it expects some additional metadata, checksums, etc or specific name for the script.
It has to be case 3. Just try it with a blank script and you still get Error 003.
Osen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

Everything works fine in recovery mode.

I called Amazon and replacement unit is already on it's way. It's actually cool that their warranty has cross-shipping and overnight shipping.

So if I don't get anywhere by tomorrow morning I'll pack it up and ship it away. As much as I like to mess with technology I miss my books and need them for my work.
What the did you tell them to get them to send a replacement (you don't really have to answer that )? Maybe Osen can get a new one as well.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #23
Blog Kindle
Addict

I've tried unpacking 2.0.2 update and repacking it as FB01 update - it also fails with error 003.

There should be something special that recovery updates must have...

Will keep digging a little more...
Old 03-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #24
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
I've tried unpacking 2.0.2 update and repacking it as FB01 update - it also fails with error 003.

There should be something special that recovery updates must have...

Will keep digging a little more...
It seems to me that there are at least three processes involved in performing the updates:
  1. powerd - the Amazon written power management daemon (not open source), besides handling part of the screen saver implementation I suspect it's what is responsible for "Recovery mode" when it is started and the home key is held.
  2. The Java GUI - again no source code.
  3. Shell/Init scripts - these are the only things we can be certain of what they do without going through reams of ARM machine code, or poorly disassembled Java.

A couple things:
  • Can you try it with FB02 as well. The java side seems to be looking for either FB02, FC02, or FD03. Maybe that'll at least get you past the 0003 error, but probably not. For that matter, try FD03 as well.
  • The shell script side shows us that the FC/FD are OTA updates and cause the system to launch into runlevel 3 to perform the update, runlevel 3 is the update script which unpacks the update and runs the scripts. However, FB is noted as being a "full update" and the system simply reboots. I would wager a guess then that the FB "full update" bins are probably supposed to contain filesystem images (See Igorsk's blog about the 6 and 7 id in the original K1 update files) however I can't say for sure -- the shell scripts only work for the FC02/FD03 bundles.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote