Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 11:28 PM   #1
MikeKReader
MikeKReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Cool Generate cover?

Just last night I was thinking it would be nice if there was some code that would generate a cover on the fly, adding in the title and author.

Then today I downloaded v 2.83 and it looks as if that is exactly what is happening on the startup page.

Is this image of books on a shelf available somewhere, and can I use it as a default cover, but pulling the author's name to put on one spine, and the book title on a second book spine?

And then some code which says if there is a cover image specified, use it, otherwise generate one as described above.

I used to be a programmer but I am so out of date now
If the above is possible, is it possible to:

1. use a picture of western themed book spines, or background, if the genre is "Westerns"? And a different themed image for "Mysteries", etc.? Again, preferably on the fly...so another level to the above: If 'genre' is Westerns, start with this picture, if it is Mysteries, use that image, etc. (probably have to put the base images in a special directory and name them something like Westerns.jpg, Mysteries.jpg, Default.jpg)

2. Angle the book spines (and the text)? (I copy most of my epubs to my Kobo Vox and it displays the covers with a bookmark from top to halfway down on the left, and a black triangle running from the bottom left corner to halfway up the right side. These would hide the title and author in most cases.)

Thank you.
I don't know if this would be a plugin or in a .css file or some html in the page head?
MikeKReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:48 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The image is in the Resources folder of the Program

There is a plugin with the strange name: Generate Cover
It allows you to choose: background image and various fields:fonts and sizes
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:14 AM   #3
MikeKReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Old 04-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
MikeKReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Thank you. I found what I think is it in resources/images. Library.png and lt.png. Shows the book spines without any writing. Which is a good thing by my way of thinking, since I guess the writing is applied before the completed image is displayed. Hopefully the code for that is in one of the .css or .xhtml files, and I can figure out how to change it to display title, author, and maybe publisher. And then figure where that has to go to be able to generate the customized image as a cover for a book.

Thanks again.
MK
P.S. Generate cover doesn't appear to write those fields on an angle. Unless I am missing something. MK
Old 04-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKReader View Post

P.S. Generate cover doesn't appear to write those fields on an angle. Unless I am missing something. MK
No, it only allows movement up and down and size
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote