Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
LibreOffice V4.0 released this week. . .

Apparently this is a major release.

They got rid of a lot of legacy code from OpenOffice that was either inefficient and/or redundant. It does seem a bit faster and more responsive than OO. (In Windows)

Plus they added the ability to annotate text documents (Should be useful for collaborative writers), and added a remote control app for Android users for their Presentation module.

They also rewrote the User interface, it doesn't look all THAT different to me, but they claim improved accessibility and sizable dialogs.

For linux users they also promise tighter integration with Unbutu Unity.

It is also available in a form to load on a thumb drive - see portableapps.com

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20276...ffice-4-0.html

I've downloaded it, and I will be keeping it. It IS faster and more responsive. I'd say it is a good to excellent FREE replacement for MS Office.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 02-10-2013 at 11:34 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
How lucky for Unity users.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
How lucky for Unity users.
Right
I gave Mint 14 a test spin (Live CD). Clean and Quick

Time to dump Ubuntu from my Linux desktop
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
you know, I have this odd laptop (circa 2005) collecting dust here, I should drop Ubuntu on it and see if it has any life left in it. I
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried Unbutu with Unity. . .

It is REALLY different! Really, REALLY different. I suspect you will either hate it or love it. I doubt you will remain unmoved!

Maybe a fully integrated Office suite will make it perfect.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Downloaded it yesterday.... good so far.... What can I say, I have not uses Micro$oft office...since Open Office 1.0.... long live the alternatives. Atlantic, Open office, Office Libre....etc.....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Hmmm ... I'm approaching the end of Ubuntu 10.04. I really like Gnome, and have learned to tweak it a bit, so I was in no hurry to move to Unity. But this might smooth the transition.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
you know, I have this odd laptop (circa 2005) collecting dust here, I should drop Ubuntu on it and see if it has any life left in it. I
Go for it! Costs nothing to try.

I've been a long time attendee of the Trenton Computer Fest -- mostly for the flea market, but it has dwindled since the internet made it easier to sell used tech.

Anyway, I went there for old times sake maybe 4 years ago and my teen-aged daughter asked to come along. She found a Compaq Presario 1200 laptop, circa 1998, for $40 and was interested in having a computer "of her own." IIRC, it had a 6 GB hard drive. We successfully loaded a Linux distro called wattOS -- Ubuntu-based. It was very usable. Your 2005 model should have no problem with the real thing.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
For people who want a fresh debianish distro w/o the risks of screwing a sid update I usually recommended aptosid
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have Redhat and CENTOS servers I have maintained for years, well shoot over a decade... but never really got in to Linux as a desktop OS. Just really like the Mac OSX line. Might just grab Ubuntu Unity and and see how it is.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

FWIW, It isn't clear to me that Unity will run on anything other than the Canonical flavor of Unbutu.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Downloaded it yesterday.... good so far.... What can I say, I have not uses Micro$oft office...since Open Office 1.0.... long live the alternatives. Atlantic, Open office, Office Libre....etc.....
NeoOffice might still be available for the Macs.

Either way, I remember getting OO back in 2003 when I was moving to Windows XP and needed something I could write my papers on. Files ended in .sxw back in those days. Got MS Office back in '06 during my move back to Macs, then abandoned it again after only a year or two when I found out that my eeePC 701 had OO on it and word documents didn't transfer quite right.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Hmmm ... I'm approaching the end of Ubuntu 10.04. I really like Gnome, and have learned to tweak it a bit, so I was in no hurry to move to Unity. But this might smooth the transition.
Straying off topic --- I'm also reaching the end of support for 10.04 (April 2013) and I'm not particularly happy to move to Unity. Played around with a 12.04 livedisc and I'm more on the hate side than the love it side.

I'm thinking about installing it on a old surplus laptop and see if I can get Gnome installed.

Last edited by jgaiser; 02-14-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Ok.. I don't know which year it is.. :)
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Straying off topic --- I'm also reaching the end of support for 10.04 (April 2013) and I'm not particularly happy to move to Unity. Played around with a 12.04 livedisc and I'm more on the hate side than the love it side.

I'm thinking about installing it on a old surplus laptop and see if I can get Gnome installed.
Well, It's been a year or so since I played with Unbutu, but I vaguely recall that Unity was optional, right in the install. You had a choice between Unity and. . . something else (sorry, can't recall). You might want to go on one of the dedicated Linux sites and ask around about how much hassle putting a different UI is on Unbutu 12. Seems a shame to give up a distro you like without some sort of investigation on how to tailor it for your needs.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Well, It's been a year or so since I played with Unbutu, but I vaguely recall that Unity was optional, right in the install. You had a choice between Unity and. . . something else (sorry, can't recall). You might want to go on one of the dedicated Linux sites and ask around about how much hassle putting a different UI is on Unbutu 12. Seems a shame to give up a distro you like without some sort of investigation on how to tailor it for your needs.
Kubuntu used to be the main-tier alternate frontend, but it had some community issues and never quite got to the same level as main-trunk Ubuntu. Which was a shame because KDE is a great frontend compared to Unity.

Does Unity even have re-orderable buttons on the side panel yet?