Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Okay, I DLed the sample, liberated it, and unpacked it. Just as I suspected the publisher has forced a font in the CSS. Every style he set up has the following code:

Code:
font-family: "Times";
I'm somewhat surprised the PW doesn't ignore this as it doesn't have a Times font installed, but perhaps it doesn't. The PW might have something in the FW that substitutes one of its serif fonts for Times.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-06-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonette View Post
I have a Kindle Keyboard with firmware 3.4 and have encountered the same problem with the samples of Snuff (A Discworld Novel) by Terry Pratchett and Devil Said Bang (A Sandman Slim Novel) by Richard Kadrey. I believe they are KF8 files and not Topaz because they are very recent publications and Calbre reads them as AZW3. There is no option to turn the publisher font on/off, and switching between regular--condensed--sans serif changes nothing. When I contacted Kindle support they said it was the publisher's fault. The publisher never responded to my inquiry.

(I hope I have done the attachments correctly)
Probably the same issue of the publisher being pushy with a font. Usually it is because the publishers are still stupid when it comes to publishing eBooks and haven't come to realize that they shouldn't force fonts therein.

Interesting screen name BTW. The HS I graduated from a zillion years ago had a pep squad named the Dragonettes. It was Round Rock HS in Round Rock, Texas. I had never seen that name since until today.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Guys, thanks. Those publishers can go to hell.
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Great. So, that also happens without embedded fonts. Yaaaay. -_-".

The Touch properly ignored this kind of CSS directives... I'll do a few more checks.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
Guys, thanks. Those publishers can go to hell.
If they did it on purpose! Unfortunately a lot of publishers are simply not educated on the eBook culture, which like the web page culture tends to prefer to set a lot of the formatting themselves. With eBooks we like to set the margins, fonts, line spacing, etc. to best suit our eyes. The old book printing publishers were used to having to make all those decisions for us and they are VERY slowly moving into our new eBook culture. It is very frustrating.

You can learn how to liberate and modify your books, just read around and use Google. But that is a PITA to have to do. Fortunately it is not necessary on most eBooks anymore.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Jack many thanks for the info.
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
Jack many thanks for the info.
Any time! Glad I could help.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
dragonette
dragonette began at the beginning.

Device: E-Ink
Hi jswinden,

I've never been to Texas or been on a pep squad, but I was a band geek.

About the name--I lost my temper once and was accused of being a fire-breathing dragon. Since I am female (and at that time I was still young) I said I was only a dragonette. I just kept the screen name over the years.

Thanks for the information about the font problem. Now all I have to do is persuade the publisher (HarperCollins for both books) that there is a problem...
dragonette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonette View Post
Hi jswinden,

I've never been to Texas or been on a pep squad, but I was a band geek.

About the name--I lost my temper once and was accused of being a fire-breathing dragon. Since I am female (and at that time I was still young) I said I was only a dragonette. I just kept the screen name over the years.

Thanks for the information about the font problem. Now all I have to do is persuade the publisher (HarperCollins for both books) that there is a problem...
Our HS mascot was the dragon, hence the Dragonettes. That was back in the 1970s just before time was invented.

You can report it to Amazon. I'm not sure if they are very good about passing the complaint on to the publisher or not, I suspect they do. Sometimes they offer to refund the book if it is sub par.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I cannot change the typeface on one book that I have on PW. It's stuck in Caecilia (could be worse). I can change it on my Kindle Touch. It doesn't appear to involve embedded font, neither device shows 'use publisher font'. Have not tried it on Fire or apps. It's kind of a shame Amazon can't achieve some sort of consistency with KF8.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote