Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #46
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
I've gotten to the point where I won't read a fantasy/sci-fi novel if I see it is part one of a series, no matter how good it is supposed to be. I will wait until it is completed.Otherwise, I find myself re-reading earlier volumes when a new one comes out.
A very long time ago, around 1995, I bought A Game of Thrones. I examined it very carefully to make sure it was not a part of a series.

It IS a very good book and I have reread it several times in order to be able to read the next books in the series. Now I too will wait until the last book is out. Probably several more years
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #47
lucasfernan89
Fanatic
lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle
Great Expectations!
lucasfernan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #48
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The Decameron.

I've read most of it, but life interrupted things and a few years went by. There is a nice Everyman's Library edition that I eventually plan to start reading anew with.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #49
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Pandora's Star by Peter Hamilton

I've held off for so long that I've forgotten what it is all about. But at 1,144 pages ... well ... it'd take me 3 months to read and I'm not sure the cost/benefit equation would be in my favor.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #50
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Wuthering Heights. I have it on my e-reader, I see the copy a friend brought for me on my book shelf. I always think "I really should read that" and yet I never do. Maybe it's because people seem to either love it or really hate it and I'm afraid I'll be part of the latter group.

Other books include all of Jane Austen's novels except for Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice. I read both of those and loved them. I started Emma twice and started Sense and Sensibility and Mansfield's Park but couldn't finish them. Maybe when I do my 18 hour train journey to Philly this summer, I'll get some of that reading out of the way.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I don't blame you for The Color of Magic - it's one of his worst books.

Start with Guards! Guards! and read the night-watch series, or start with one of the Witches books, or even Wee Free Men, which is the start of a YA series. But avoid anything with Ryncewind in it, and the ones that focus on the Wizards are also (IMHO) weak.
I highly disagree. In fact, the worst book is Masquarade which is a witches book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #52
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i have a really hard time reading the 3rd book in a trilogy. i postpone them as long as i can and i don't know why. duology, no problem. more than 3, no problem. theres just something about the end of a trilogy and i don't know what it is.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #53
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The Brothers Karamazov. I downloaded it as soon as I got my jetBook Lite nearly two and a half years ago, but I'm never in the mood!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #54
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Like another poster said, a book I keep postponing is The Silmarillion. I read a up to the first chapter, then put it down and repeat the cycle a month later.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #55
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've read the Silmarillion, and kind of wish I hadn't. It is entirely unnecessary.

I've been avoiding Neal Stephenson's System of the World for quite some time. I enjoyed the first two books in the Baroque Cycle, but they took me a long time to get through, and I'm never quite willing to give up that amount of time, when I could be reading other things.
DrNefario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #56
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Mason & Dixon, by Thomas Pynchon. I got nearly halfway through it when it came out, then put it aside. Now I realize that I will have to start again at the beginning to have any hope of making sense of it. I have it in hardcover and now in ebook format. There is a glossary of terms on thomaspynchon.com, which I should make into a mobi book...
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
The Brothers Karamazov. I downloaded it as soon as I got my jetBook Lite nearly two and a half years ago, but I'm never in the mood!
If you ever do get in the mood, please go see a psychiatrist. I've read it and it's so downright depressing.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-29-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua.P View Post
Like another poster said, a book I keep postponing is The Silmarillion. I read a up to the first chapter, then put it down and repeat the cycle a month later.
My sister gave me the hardcover version for a gift. I did read it but I had to force myself to read it. It was so very boring. If you like The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, this is nothing like any of that. It's more like reading a text book.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #59
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
I've had the ebook version of The Handmaid's Tale since I got my Kobo, I just can't seem to crack it for whatever reason. Same with the scifi book January Dancer. Something more interesting always seems to distract me before I can get into either.
I loved The Handmaid's Tale.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #60
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Neverwhere and everything else by Neil Gaiman.
Wash your mouth out with soap woman!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote