Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #31
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
I have had zero problems with connecting to networks. I even set my cellphone to act as a wifi hotspot (I LOVE YOU GOOGLE PHONES) and my kobo connected to it right away.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #32
kklee
kklee is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
I finally got it working.

I ended up doing a factory reset and starting over from scratch. It connected to the router on the first try after the setup was finished. The auto detection worked, I didn't have to manually create the connection.

I was rather annoyed to discover that you cannot set a static IP address. Due to the way I have my network set up, I can't use DHCP on my N routers (they're set up as access points), so I had to set up a DHCP server just for the Touch.
kklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #33
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
an update: I updated my firmware to 1.94 and tried again. It took about 10 tries and I manually entered the network name, but finally I got WIFI We will see if it lasts.
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #34
krackpot
krackpot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Having the same problem. Can't connect on 1.94. Updated the desktop software too. Not sure why I can't connect. I've tried manual and scanning methods.
krackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #35
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Howdy folks,

As you've found out, we don't support static IP configurations at this point in time.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #36
daewon
Enthusiast
daewon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
I seem to be having issues as well. Initially after the 15th try it worked and has for a few days until today. Now there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to what will get it to work. Sometimes it will work if i just keep trying the scanning method...Sometimes it will work if i put it in sleep mode, wake it up, then try it again...Sometimes it will work if i manually input my network...Then sometimes not with any of the methods. It just keeps telling me i have the wrong password and i know i am typing it in correctly.I have firmware version 1.9.4 (r29344, Jun 18 2011).
daewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:22 AM   #37
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
As you've found out, we don't support static IP configurations at this point in time.
As more than one poster stressed, it should.
Aside, does hidden ssid make a problem people have with wifi connection?
Further, additional wireless units could bring the problem. Changing the
channel helps sometimes.
Btw, nothing's wrong with "g" protocol. It might be slow compared with
"n", but working through walls, it proves to be rock solid. Some routers
are not stable having enabled both "b" and "g". I'm interested to know if all
posters are in the same room as the router and at what distance.
Best regards all.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #38
meditlondon
meditlondon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
When I try to connect to my wireless it tells me the password is incorrect even though I know it is correct. Router is a Dlink DIR-655 N WPA-personal, mixed mode (n,g,b), wpa only, TKIP and AES). I have version 1.94 firmware on my reader
meditlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #39
daewon
Enthusiast

I did a factory reset and started over and it connected fine...once...then back to the same thing...would have been nice if they would have waited till it was actually ready before they shipped them...
Old 06-22-2011, 12:32 AM   #40
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daewon View Post
I did a factory reset and started over and it connected fine...once...then back to the same thing...would have been nice if they would have waited till it was actually ready before they shipped them...
Hm! Sometimes it is a matter of noise in the air. People use a lot
of wireless devices. Could you change a channel on your connection
to try again?
The very router plays significant role. Personally, I use "g" only. After
changing firmware from native linksys to dd-wrt, I found it a big step
ahead. Forums like or dislike some routers. I'm fond of wrt54gl. Saw
people cursing d-link every minute. Rebooting router helps if the firm-
ware has no garbage collection done properly.
Best regards.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #41
daewon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Hm! Sometimes it is a matter of noise in the air. People use a lot
of wireless devices. Could you change a channel on your connection
to try again?
The very router plays significant role. Personally, I use "g" only. After
changing firmware from native linksys to dd-wrt, I found it a big step
ahead. Forums like or dislike some routers. I'm fond of wrt54gl. Saw
people cursing d-link every minute. Rebooting router helps if the firm-
ware has no garbage collection done properly.
Best regards.
Hi zoran...Thanks for the reply...i'm sure it's not noise since i've tried 6 different networks and it's all the same...
Old 06-22-2011, 01:59 AM   #42
zoran
himself

Quote:
i'm sure it's not noise since i've tried 6 different networks and it's all the same...
I was after channel number in your router configuration. Magic numbers
are 1, 6 and 11. People mostly use them. Change to 4 or else.
Otherwise, I recall people posting they have problem if they hide ssid.
Next, router is the major part of the system. Good router, no problems.
Old but good linksys 54gl is about $50. Take it. Avoid all else.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #43
daewon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I was after channel number in your router configuration. Magic numbers
are 1, 6 and 11. People mostly use them. Change to 4 or else.
Otherwise, I recall people posting they have problem if they hide ssid.
Next, router is the major part of the system. Good router, no problems.
Old but good linksys 54gl is about $50. Take it. Avoid all else.
Hi...It didn't do any good...I went through every channel...My router changes to the channel with the least interference anyways...But i went through and tried each channel manually...No good...
Old 06-22-2011, 04:30 AM   #44
zoran
himself

Quote:
It didn't do any good...
Huh! What if you power cycle the router and make factory reset to the
reader? (I hope it doesn't remove books on it.)
Rereading previous posts, I assume you have to go to menu and start
to insert ssid etc by the hand, not letting device to choose one.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #45
Byron4120
Enthusiast
Byron4120 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
Just an observation: The touch seems to show connection difficulties on weaker signal areas (Small sample on my part) -- But in stong signal area it seems perfect. Could the issue be related to limited radio strength on transmit from touch (not providing sufficient power to radio in weaker signal areas?). My sample is only with 1.9.4 (Jun 18) firmware.
Byron4120 is offline   Reply With Quote