Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How important is being able to read on the desktop?
Reading books on the desktop machine is important for me. 37 27.82%
I'm only interested in being able to read on a hand-held device. 96 72.18%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is being able to read on a desktop machine important to you?

The topic has come up elsewhere about the importance of being able to read books on the desktop (PC, Mac, or whatever) as well as on a hand-held device.

Is being able to read on the desktop important to you or not? Please answer the poll so we can get an idea of the proportion to whom it is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I think you need a third alternative "being able to finish the book I am currently reading using a PC is important when the reading device does not work".
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think you need a third alternative "being able to finish the book I am currently reading using a PC is important when the reading device does not work".

I think the poll was intended to reflect the primary/desired method of reading. Maybe a third option shoud be "an actual book" for the unconverted.
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The poll arose through a thread in which someone is saying that Amazon have made a big mistake in not permitting Kindle books to be read on a PC. I don't read on a PC myself, and I was interested to see whether I am typical in only using handheld devices for reading, or whether many other people would also regard PC reading as a vital thing.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
I just voted accordingly to my post on the other thread.
I don't feel any eye strain reading on a classical lcd, but I just don't like it
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I see, I slightly misread the alternatives.

I would say that being able to read on another device is important for me but not because I would do it normally. So I can see this as an argument against Kindle but not for the reasons stated in the other thread.

So my vote here went to the second alternative.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I see, I slightly misread the alternatives.

I would say that being able to read on another device is important for me but not because I would do it normally.
Sorry, my bad. I misinterpreted Harry's poll not you. He was interested in anyone who has to read on a computer monitor (be it desirable or in your case the my-reader-is-freakin-dead-and-I-need-to-finish-it!).

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
Define "read". I do "read" PDFs and stuff on my desktop, but that's usually technical material which I am reading to solve a problem. I do have many RSS feeds, and I read them on my desktop (until any of these can get Google feeds onto their devices, that will remain so), but that's a casual read, like watching TV to catch the news rather than reading a newspaper.

But when I read for pleasure (or leisure) I'd rather not use my PC.
azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Reading for pleasure.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I wish you had a third option. To be able to read on the PC is nice but not essential. My first ebooks were .PDF and then eReader .PDB. I could only read the PDFs on my PC and the PDBs on my Clie. Eventually I was able to read the PDFs on my Clie but I didn't care for the interface. Now eReader has a PC reader so I can read on that if I care to. Mostly what I use the PC readers for is to organize my books.

For non-fiction, I prefer pbooks because it's easier to annotate and bookmark. *But* I'm hoping that the Kindle with its larger screen and easier ability to annotate will change my preference.

For pure pleasure, handheld all the way.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I voted 'Yes' - I'll read on anything and the more options I have, the better
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I do is I view (not so much read) the book on the computer so I can have a look at the formatting so when I convert it, I make sure I do a good job of converting.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #13
fugsly
living dead girl
fugsly began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I voted that it's not important. It isn't but it's certainly a bonus. As other said it's good to have a back up way of reading
fugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
If I'm reading just for fun, I prefer to read on my iLiad, but sometimes I'm trying to find a particular passage (even in fiction that I'm reading "for fun") and this is a bit harder to do on the iLiad, so I do it on my desktop linux box. (For example, recently I was looking through my Steven Brust books to find information for a t-shirt project I'm working on for him. I used grep on the linux box. I use it when I'm contributing to wikis, as well.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I do is I view (not so much read) the book on the computer so I can have a look at the formatting so when I convert it, I make sure I do a good job of converting.
That's what I do as well, but I don't classify that as "reading" .