Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
NY Senator Schumer Writes Letter to Apple CEO Concerning Antenna

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...4_antenna.html

Quote:
Dear Mr. Jobs,

I write to express concern regarding the reception problem with the Apple iPhone 4. While I commend Apple's innovative approach to mobile technology and appreciate its service to millions of iPhone users nationwide, I believe it is incumbent upon Apple to address this flaw in a transparent manner.
When I first saw this, I figured it was just typical political grandstanding and headline grabbing, I mean, after all, it IS just a frickin phone-and just one phone at that.

Then I remembered that Apple is the second largest company in the USA, so it did make a bit of sense.

Still political grandstanding though
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I have to agree. It's just a case of political grandstanding .
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
all i can say is tomorrow's meeting better have a good solution..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
all i can say is tomorrow's meeting better have a good solution..
I'm going with a "how to hold your iPhone 4 properly" demo.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
"Dear Mr. Jobs,

I write to express concern regarding the reception problem with the Apple iPhone 4. While I commend Apple's innovative approach to mobile technology and appreciate its service to millions of iPhone users nationwide, I believe it is incumbent upon Apple to address this flaw in a transparent manner. "

If only these politicians would conduct their own jobs in a "transparent manner".... They do everything in backroom deals...... And I mean ALL politicians, not just Dem or Rep, or Lib or Con...... ALL...
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm a little puzzled about why this chap writing a letter is of any more significance than anyone else writing a letter?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm a little puzzled about why this chap writing a letter is of any more significance than anyone else writing a letter?
Usually the implication is that if Apple doesn't do something about it, he will start an investigation into it.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Usually the implication is that if Apple doesn't do something about it, he will start an investigation into it.
Or maybe he knew what all the major news is reporting now, that Apple and Steve Jobs knew about the problem a year ago, from the lead Apple antenna designer, and a "major wireless carrier". It's gonna be awful to hide the truth now, I suspect the cat's out of the bag...
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Let's say Apple knew a year ago. So what? It's not criminal to make a stupid engineering decision. It's not criminal to behave arrogantly and dismissively toward customers. What would a supposed investigation have to do with all that?

It's a news story, not investigation material.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Or maybe he knew what all the major news is reporting now, that Apple and Steve Jobs knew about the problem a year ago, from the lead Apple antenna designer, and a "major wireless carrier". It's gonna be awful to hide the truth now, I suspect the cat's out of the bag...
How does that answer Harry's question?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Let's say Apple knew a year ago. So what? It's not criminal to make a stupid engineering decision. It's not criminal to behave arrogantly and dismissively toward customers.
Plus, he's one guy on Apple's design team. We don't know what his influence was on design decisions to begin with.

I love how people pounce on all these unsubstantiated details though, like its some huge scandal they have personally uncovered-it is fascinating. The comments on one of the stories are hilarious-some take such joy in it: http://gizmodo.com/5587815/top-apple...tenna-problems

and here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38260210...nce-wireless/?
Apple knew about iPhone 4 antenna design flaw
Company ignored concerns of senior antenna engineer

Or maybe they took his concerns into consideration, and thought the phone reception would work. Since we weren't in the meeting, we don't know.

Last edited by kjk; 07-15-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
kjk

Quote:
And Harry, I think Nick Saint answers your question best:
http://www.businessinsider.com/final...phone-4-2010-7

Quote:
United States Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) finally come out with a clear position on one of the most pressing threats to our nation today: iPhone 4 Antennagate.
Quote:
It's good to see this issue is finally getting the national attention it deserves. But the ongoing silence from the White House is deafening.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm afraid that, in the ignorant position of being the mere owner of an iPhone 4 (unlike most of the worthy commentators, who appear to be getting their information direct by mind-transference, and so don't need to bother with trying to use one for themselves ), I think the whole thing is a storm in a teacup. No, let me rephrase that - a minor breeze in an egg-cup. Yes, it's a minor inconvenience for some people (it works just fine for me), but it's fixed by a $5 case. Sense of proportion, anyone?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #14
kjk

Quote:
I'm afraid that, in the ignorant position of being the mere owner of an iPhone 4 (unlike most of the worthy commentators, who appear to be getting their information direct by mind-transference, and so don't need to bother with trying to use one for themselves ), I think the whole thing is a storm in a teacup. No, let me rephrase that - a minor breeze in an egg-cup. Yes, it's a minor inconvenience for some people (it works just fine for me), but it's fixed by a $5 case. Sense of proportion, anyone?
I think that's Nick Saint's position too
Old 07-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sensible fellow .