Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
JVM
JVM began at the beginning.

Device: none
Case - DVD case with padding

I read about using a DVD case to hold the Kobo. I have the WIFI, tried a case, and it looks like it fits nicely. I have a 2-disk case that is slightly larger and I'm thinking of using this with some padding that I would tape to the front and back of the inside for extra protection. This way it wouldn't be as snug and I could fit the padding in. What would be suitable padding...it would be in contact with the screen of course?

Was hoping to pick up something at a dollar store or hardware store.

I figure something 'soft', but I don't know if some materials may actually hurt the screen.

Thanks.
JVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM View Post
I read about using a DVD case to hold the Kobo. I have the WIFI, tried a case, and it looks like it fits nicely. I have a 2-disk case that is slightly larger and I'm thinking of using this with some padding that I would tape to the front and back of the inside for extra protection. This way it wouldn't be as snug and I could fit the padding in. What would be suitable padding...it would be in contact with the screen of course?

Was hoping to pick up something at a dollar store or hardware store.

I figure something 'soft', but I don't know if some materials may actually hurt the screen.

Thanks.
I made this exact case in December using felt from the dollar store attached to the case using double-sided tape in several locations. It is plenty soft enough and, because of the width of the DVD ridges, they contact the bezel and not the recessed screen. Its actually a great case. The Kobo doesn't move inside and hasn't seen any damage even though I bring it in backpack every day. I use wrapping paper as a sleeve insert.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
JVM
JVM began at the beginning.

Device: none
Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0AT View Post
I made this exact case in December using felt from the dollar store attached to the case using double-sided tape in several locations. It is plenty soft enough and, because of the width of the DVD ridges, they contact the bezel and not the recessed screen. Its actually a great case. The Kobo doesn't move inside and hasn't seen any damage even though I bring it in backpack every day. I use wrapping paper as a sleeve insert.
I finished putting this case together earlier and like you, it works great. Cutting away the bits of plastic was easy. I taped in some thick paper on each side, then put the felt on top of that. I used felt only on the left side, where the screen contacts the case. I also put think strips of felt beside the kobo on the right side so it is snug. Feels nice to save the $$ on a new case and make something that is arguably better!
JVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM View Post
I finished putting this case together earlier and like you, it works great. Cutting away the bits of plastic was easy. I taped in some thick paper on each side, then put the felt on top of that. I used felt only on the left side, where the screen contacts the case. I also put think strips of felt beside the kobo on the right side so it is snug. Feels nice to save the $$ on a new case and make something that is arguably better!
Luckily, the case design I had didn't require any cutting at all. I previously tried to make a case with a single DVD case, and there was way too much cutting involved. The case ended up pretty flimsy.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote