Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #31
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I've found after the initial failed restart of Calibre on a boot up of the computer, the restarts after that work. This is Win10 (1703 15063.413).
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:36 AM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
PE restarts just fine.
Is that PE restarts calibre just fine, or itself ?

Is the server started? If so what happens if you stop it before restart?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2017, 07:38 AM   #33
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I've found after the initial failed restart of Calibre on a boot up of the computer, the restarts after that work. This is Win10 (1703 15063.413).
Home or Pro?

So calibre restart fails, you do a reboot, and now calibre restart works?

What about a logoff/logon?

BR
Old 06-23-2017, 07:41 AM   #34
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Home or Pro?

So calibre restart fails, you do a reboot, and now calibre restart works?

What about a logoff/logon?

BR
Home.

The automatic restart fails; I start calibre from the program icon, and if I restart from within the program it'll work.

Haven't tried with a logoff. Too many browser tabs open at the moment.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:54 AM   #35
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Home.

The automatic restart fails; I start calibre from the program icon, and if I restart from within the program it'll work.

Haven't tried with a logoff. Too many browser tabs open at the moment.
I'm unsure of what you mean by 'automatic restart fails' ?

Are you saying when restart fails, you start it from desktop icon, and now restart works, what happens if you do another restart?

BR
Advert
Old 06-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #36
copyrite
Wizard

When attempting to restart Calibre within the program fails, I start it from the desktop icon. For whatever reason, I can then restart Calibre within the program (it's restarted multiple times). If I exit Calibre, re-open, and attempt a restart within the program, it will restart.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #37
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
In my case the "restart" calibre command always fails if I am not running from source.

@kovid: I replaced main.py with logging. Using the code:
Code:
                x = subprocess.Popen([e] + args)
                prints('after Popen:', x, file=open('c:/users/charles/log.txt', 'a'))
                time.sleep(3)
                x.poll()
                prints('after poll:', x.returncode, file=open('c:/users/charles/log.txt', 'a'))
I get after poll: '0' in the log which means that the subprocess terminated. I got the same answer with and without the sleep(3).

It occurred to me that the startup might be fast enough where the restarted calibre is seeing the original one and refusing to start. One difference between Home and Pro might be the order that windows runs new processes. To test this I changed main.py as follows:
- first discard all previous changes then:
Code:
def main(args=sys.argv):
    time.sleep(1)
    if iswindows and 'CALIBRE_REPAIR_CORRUPTED_DB' in os.environ:
        windows_repair()
        return 0
where the sleep(1) was arbitrary. Restart now works.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #38
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@chaley: That would imply something is happening before launching the child, which means the only way to debug is via replacing gui2/main.py in pylib.zip, I'm afraid. I suspect what is happening is that sys.executable is wrong probably does not contain the absolute path. So launching it is failing.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@chaley: Disregard my previous post, cross post.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #40
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@copyrite - bizarro, hopefully your input might give kovid/chaley some clues.

AFAIK & FWIW - you can't buy a MS Surface Pro, Laptop, Book or Studio with Windows 10 Home edition for love or money, even the new Win 10S they're putting on the Surface Laptop models upgrades to Pro.

BR
Old 06-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #41
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@chaley: I pushed a fix that should do the trick. Need to check restarting in debnug mode as well.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #42
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@chaley: I pushed a fix that should do the trick. Need to check restarting in debnug mode as well.
After copying main.py with your changes into pylib.zip, all the following work:
  • restart
  • restart into debug mode
  • restart when running from source
  • restart into debug mode when running from source
  • restart while in debug mode while running from source
Seems fixed to me.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote