Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #136
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Hi all,

I'm committed to producing 8,000 words for the anthology, but since we're in a bit of a hiatus I've sent my current pair off to a couple of magazines. The chances are that they'll garner a few rejections and be back here in due course, but just for now they're unavailable for the anthology.

Many thanks again for the comments you've given me to strengthen both these stories.

To cover them in the unlikely event of one or both getting placed, I've uploaded two more SF stories. Both are at the first draft stage with no revisions as yet.

These two new ones both need a lot more work and development, and by no means have I yet been through and 'got the words right'. Or even the plot or feel in the case of Brains Flushed. And I know Enduring Fame is a rubbish title...

Please don't feel that you have to read these yet. If you do, though, I'd prefer no comments until I get them to v1.0 or above.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #137
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Good luck with the submissions.

I've got so much going one here at the moment that I've barely written a word in the last few months, and I miss it a lot. There are times when I feel like taking the phones off the hook, slamming the door shut and pretending I'm not here. I keep promising myself that I'll find the time ... and then the phone rings again. Soon, I keep promising, soon.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:13 AM   #138
mrmarlowe
Zealot
mrmarlowe began at the beginning.

Device: Caliber
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

I've got so much going one here at the moment that I've barely written a word in the last few months, and I miss it a lot. There are times when I feel like taking the phones off the hook, slamming the door shut and pretending I'm not here. I keep promising myself that I'll find the time ... and then the phone rings again. Soon, I keep promising, soon.
http://kelsye.com/fail-at-being-a-writer/

mrmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #139
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

Thanks Geoff.

I know the feeling. And when the phone rings it takes ages to pick up the thread again. Concentration is very fragile.

Marlowe, all too true!

I wrote out an action list the other day to try to improve my focus.

SWITCHING OFF

Here's how to make the study distraction free:
  • Take landline handset and mobile phone out of the study.
  • Go to the bathroom before sitting down to write (!).
  • Shut the door.
  • Turn off the power to the speakers.
  • Turn off ChromeOS notifications.

If really determined:
  • Close browser and only open what's needed to write.
  • Kill internet.

Before writing any scene:
  • Jot down the beats for the scene in Workflowy, and have that open behind Docs
  • Stand up, stretch and breathe
  • Visualise the action in the scene as a movie
  • Sit down and write without editing

Graham
Old 06-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #140
mrmarlowe
Zealot
mrmarlowe began at the beginning.

Device: Caliber
Using focuswriter is a really good idea if you are having trouble focusing.

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/...riter_portable

Killing the internet doesn't work for me though. (Even AFTER I've done my initial research) I have to research as I write, so at least during the two initial drafts, I can't work without the help of internet. To each his own I guess.

Of course I get distracted too by the internet, but that's more to do with my lack of self-discipline than anything else.
mrmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #141
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarlowe View Post
Using focuswriter is a really good idea if you are having trouble focusing.

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/...riter_portable
Thanks. I've tried a few similar apps, but I find that I quite like Google Docs, and it saves me a step of copying things around later.

I do go full screen with no toolbar in Google Docs, which only takes a couple of clicks, so I can achieve the same effect.

Graham
Old 06-20-2014, 02:41 AM   #142
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My problem is time, not focus. My trouble with focus is having too much of it. I find it difficult to switch off from whatever it is I've buried myself in, and so be able turn around and bury myself in something else. Writing, for me, takes lots of time. Time to prepare and time to settle ... and then time to actually write. It also takes energy. When I'm over tired (which seems to be all the time at the moment), I don't have what it takes to write. It will change, but that doesn't stop me being impatient. This is always a busy time of year for my work, and something has to give - at the moment that's my writing.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:40 AM   #143
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Tap, tap. Tap, tap. Ffft, Ffft. Is this thing on?

Just wondering what, if anything, is happening on this?

I've just finished the first draft of a 3300 word short story that's a bit experimental (for me). It's more strongly/deliberately themed than I usually attempt, and it's entirely dialogue - no attributions or other asides. I'm curious to know if it works and how well the characterisations come over.

I can find other beta readers, but if there was still any chance of this anthology going anywhere then I'd be happy to submit this new one and get comments here. (Which means, of course, I'd should get off my butt and do my part on the new ones that have arrived since I was last here.)
Old 08-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #144
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
To be honest, I don't have enough time to spare because of 'life.' Nothing wrong or anything, just a lot to do.

I'm thinking about having one of the mods close these threads about the anthology, and suggest starting one thread where people can sumbit drafts for others to review and comment on. The stories for this anthology would be free to be submitted to magazines and such.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #145
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

If we giving up on creating an anthology it would as well to at least unsticky the threads anyway ... and probably close them, I guess. It was a good thought, and I enjoyed what we did manage to do. So thanks for getting it started.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #146
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I guess I can stop thinking about hauling out that other story, then. This was a good exercise, though, and I've enjoyed it.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #147
Graham
Wizard

I thoroughly enjoyed the process. It gave me a real boost at just the right time.

And Geoff, I've been looking at my comma use and cutting down on the run-on sentences. :-)
Old 08-22-2014, 05:12 AM   #148
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed the process. It gave me a real boost at just the right time.
I did enjoy this too; I learned a lot from it, mainly that I should not write my dialog in the same way as David Eddings does. (It was characterized as "stilted" because it was too detailed and precise.) It also gave me an idea for another short story.

Maybe I'll write a novel by writing the scenes as short stories first and then compiling them. Or, I'll not write a novel, ever, and just keep writing short stories in my own world. Why not

Would it be an idea to close these two threads, and start a thread where people can submit drafts for critique, attaching them to their posts? Then, if one has time, a draft can be read and commented on.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #149
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Would it be an idea to close these two threads, and start a thread where people can submit drafts for critique, attaching them to their posts? Then, if one has time, a draft can be read and commented on.
That's one for the mods. There are sites out there already for that.

I was pleased to find this one for SF and Fantasy:

http://sff.onlinewritingworkshop.com/

Graham
Old 08-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #150
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

And Geoff, I've been looking at my comma use and cutting down on the run-on sentences. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
[...]Would it be an idea to close these two threads, and start a thread where people can submit drafts for critique, attaching them to their posts? Then, if one has time, a draft can be read and commented on.
I think we might as well close.

I've never been sure of exactly where the lines here fall with regard to asking critiques in a more general post. Some have asked for cover critiques, but you can do that without links back to your own site, whereas stories would need an external link - but whether that means that doing it via dropbox or something would be okay, I don't really know.

My guess is that something less specific than this anthology could be too open to abuse - with people putting up stories for promotion purposes rather than actually/genuinely looking for critique. You could say that the existing self-promotion subforum has this capability already - I've seen some (minimal) critiquing happen there - but people doing actual promotion there might feel they were getting pushed out if lots of conversation went on with critiques.