Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Linux and Adobe Digital Editions

I am currently running Linux on my laptop and I would like to run Linux on my Mac desktop. The only reason I have not made the move on the desktop is I need Adobe Digital Editions to download ascm files that I then import into Calibre. Has anybody using Linux found a way to upload ADE or found another way around loading ascm files.

Thanks
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Is dual booting or installing Wine an option?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
varlog
actually it is /var/log
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post

I am currently running Linux on my laptop and I would like to run Linux on my Mac desktop. The only reason I have not made the move on the desktop is I need Adobe Digital Editions to download ascm files that I then import into Calibre. Has anybody using Linux found a way to upload ADE or found another way around loading ascm files.

Thanks
You could try this. I myself use, with wine of course, I think ADM 1.7.1

Last edited by varlog; 11-23-2014 at 03:40 PM.
varlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Indeed, try WINE. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... I have never gotten ADE2.0 to work for me. But 1.7 works fine, and is easily run under WINE.

Now, I never got the DeDRM tools to work smoothly with WINE, so I just use my dual-boot WinXP partition on the rare occasion I need to access an ADE book. Then it goes straight into calibre.

I strongly believe that you should never nuke a working Windows/OSX install Just Because -- it could always come in handy, and all it costs is disk space, which is usually not a problem.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I use ADE 1.7.2 with WINE on Debian Linux, I didn't need to do anything special to install it.

There is a little trick where I have to change the drive type in the WINE configuration to floppy disc if I want ADE to see my mounted ereader device, but that is only needed when first authorizing the device or when transfering DRM ebooks from computer to device, not for other uses.

ADE, Calibre, and tools all work for me in Linux, no need to boot another operating system.

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-23-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: ... in the WINE configuration ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
ADE, Calibre, and tools all work for me in Linux, no need to boot another operating system.
I don't know if I failed because I did it wrong (I did not focus on it much) or because I needed to do Magic since my distro is Arch Linux.

I expect it is far more likely to run smoothly for someone running a more standardized and stable system.

'Twas never very important to me or I might've figured something out...
Old 11-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Speaking of which, winetricks has a verb to automatically download and install WINE with all its prerequisites.

I only messed up on getting python, tkinter, and the DeDRM plugin conecting through WINE.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
It appears I need to look at Wine and Winetricks. Wine has always struck me as not the most reliable of applications so I have been reluctant to become wine dependent (ok, pun intended) but I will play around with it some more on my laptop and see if I can get ADM working on Mint or Mageia.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I have Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.1 running in Wine on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE (amd64). I had to move to 2.0.1 because for whatever reason Overdrive required it.

You need to follow the directions on WineHQ closely. It's a pain, but it will work.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
One of the good news there is that .NET is now open source. Hopefully, wine will be able to support it better
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
One of the good news there is that .NET is now open source. Hopefully, wine will be able to support it better
Wow!

Did not realize that happened!

Satya Nadella is really changing MS for the better.

Cannot wait for future versions of WINE.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-24-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
The .Net runtime specifications have always been open. Did Microsoft actually open source the runtime itself?

I must admit, I don't follow MS closely. I run Windows on my desktop (too much Windows-only stuff I need or want), but for everything else I use Linux (mostly Debian Testing, or Debian Stable with a self-compiled kernel), or I'd pay through the nose for Windows licenses and other software.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The .Net runtime specifications have always been open. Did Microsoft actually open source the runtime itself?

I must admit, I don't follow MS closely. I run Windows on my desktop (too much Windows-only stuff I need or want), but for everything else I use Linux (mostly Debian Testing, or Debian Stable with a self-compiled kernel), or I'd pay through the nose for Windows licenses and other software.
There :
https://github.com/dotnet/corefx
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote