Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
akiyamakazumi
akiyamakazumi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura edition2, Kobo H20, Kobo Forma, kobo Clara HD
kobo ereader freeze problem

do someone know what happen? in the past just kobo clara hd have this problem, but now my kobo forma have this problem too. Device freeze, cannot turn page, cannot go sleep cannot turn off, the only thing i can do is just put on the desk and wait until the battery empty. Is a little bit better on forma somehow rapidly press the power button make the device reboot.
akiyamakazumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:49 PM   #2
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiyamakazumi View Post
do someone know what happen? in the past just kobo clara hd have this problem, but now my kobo forma have this problem too. Device freeze, cannot turn page, cannot go sleep cannot turn off, the only thing i can do is just put on the desk and wait until the battery empty. Is a little bit better on forma somehow rapidly press the power button make the device reboot.
I have also experienced this a few times on my Forma. Usually I have to wait until the battery drains, then recharge it, redo the initial setup, reload the books...it's a pain. It happened again today, so I set it on the desk (after trying numerous times to power off, etc.). Nothing. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then tried again to power off, and...it worked! The screen did not change except for the light going off, but then I held the power button down again, and it rebooted. Everything was still there, so I didn't need to reload anything. Next time it happens, I will try rapidly pressing the power button to see if that works. Sorry I can't help you, but at least you're not alone. (I've read that holding down one of the page turn buttons while pressing the power button will reset a frozen Forma, but that doesn't work either.) Good luck, and I hope somebody here will have some suggestions.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
What happens if you hold the power button in for 20 to 30 seconds, release it for 6 seconds and then press it again?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:12 PM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Also what firmware are you on. There were issues with some firmware versions and the Forma
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:13 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I've read that holding down one of the page turn buttons while pressing the power button will reset a frozen Forma, but that doesn't work either.) Good luck, and I hope somebody here will have some suggestions.
It's not just a matter of holding the page turn and power buttons. You need to have your Forma connected to a power source. I've pasted the procedure for a manual factory reset for a Forma below:
  1. Charge your Forma for a couple of hours -- you can leave it plugged in after the charging time.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds to force your Forma to power off.
  3. If you unplugged your ereader in step 1, plug your Forma into a power source (your computer or an USB charger)
  4. Press and hold one of the page turn buttons, while holding the page turn buttons, press and hold the power button for up to 30 seconds.
  5. Once you see the restoring screen, you can release the buttons.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-11-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:31 AM   #6
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Forma has frozen periodically (not often--maybe 3 or 4 times, total), starting with the original firmware it came with, and it just did it again today on FW 4.22.15190. Holding the power button for 30 seconds, releasing it, and pressing it again does nothing. Neither does holding down a page turn button while pressing the power button, either while connected to a power source or not, or after charging for a couple of hours or not. I've tried several procedures several different ways, and it makes no difference. The only way I've been able to get the Forma working again is to let the battery drain completely, and then start from scratch. Today was the first time I was able to get it working again without a complete battery drain, so perhaps this firmware is better at recovery than earlier versions.

Last edited by icallaci; 07-10-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #7
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It's not just a matter of holding the page turn and power buttons. You need to have your Forma connected to a power source. I've pasted the procedure for a manual factory reset for a Forma below:
  1. Charge your Forma for a couple of hours -- you can leave it plugged in after the charging time.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds to force your Forma to power off.
  3. If you unplugged your ereader in step 1, plug your Clara HD into a power source (your computer or an USB charger)
  4. Press and hold one of the page turn buttons, while holding the page turn buttons, press and hold the power button for up to 30 seconds.
  5. Once you see the restoring screen, you can release the buttons.
So you have to own a forma and a clara hd for your solution
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:38 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
So you have to own a forma and a clara hd for your solution
Doesn't everybody?
Old 07-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
heh
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #10
skimminstones
skimminstones began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
my libra H20 does this often. Freezes regularly and wont let me do anything until after about 60 seconds it reboots itself.
skimminstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:49 PM   #11
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimminstones View Post
my libra H20 does this often. Freezes regularly and wont let me do anything until after about 60 seconds it reboots itself.
When it happens on my Aura One LE, I just plug it into a charger as it looks to be a low battery condition as seen when it is "working" again.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:20 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Has anyone checked out the books being read when the device acts up?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #13
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has anyone checked out the books being read when the device acts up?
Yes, no errors in the books, according to Sigil's ePubCheck and also Calibre's Check Book.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've seen a similar freeze and it's totally random
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:47 AM   #15
gauchomigo
gauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to behold

Device: kobo forma/aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I have also experienced this a few times on my Forma. Usually I have to wait until the battery drains, then recharge it, redo the initial setup, reload the books...it's a pain. It happened again today, so I set it on the desk (after trying numerous times to power off, etc.). Nothing. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then tried again to power off, and...it worked! The screen did not change except for the light going off, but then I held the power button down again, and it rebooted. Everything was still there, so I didn't need to reload anything. Next time it happens, I will try rapidly pressing the power button to see if that works. Sorry I can't help you, but at least you're not alone. (I've read that holding down one of the page turn buttons while pressing the power button will reset a frozen Forma, but that doesn't work either.) Good luck, and I hope somebody here will have some suggestions.
The rapidly pressing the button for around 10 times, then waiting and hitting it again worked for me.
gauchomigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug?